R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #3691
prg
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default stripping 2nd gears

the engine mount change came as a result of folk saying the engine must be moving and try a one piece engine mount.. made no difference.
prg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #3692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you are running the stock mounts and screws, you have to make sure to put the lock washers on the motor mounthing screws. Otherwise, the top and bottom screws can contact each other and will feel tight, but they are not making good contact with the chassis plate.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #3693
prg
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes i am aware of that problem and can confirm that the screws with correct washers are seating correctly. the screws and washers have also been replaced. during the pre worlds i replaced the mounts as one of the attempts to rectify the prob. had help from other mugen drivers and was able to have it work for a 10 min heat then a 20 min final.. during the next 20 min final it stripped.... i can assure you the engine was very tight..
prg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #3694
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu
Where do you remove the .1 shim? from the outside or the inside of the bell? Also, do you set your clutch bell not to have any play?
Hi Riketsu,
I remove the 0.1 mm shim from inside the clutch bell (the area just in front of the spring tension nut). This is so the clutch shoe does not have to travel a large distance to reach the clutch bell, but still enables the clutch bell to spin freely. I do set my clutch with play (I presume you are referring to the end play?). Currently, when my clutch is fully assembled I have approx. .3mm of end play (clutch bell movement).
NOTE: With the shims on the inside of the clutch bell, I use Kyosho shims (not the original Mugen Shims), because the original shims have a large O.D and will make contact with the outer race of the bearing.
I hope this helps.
SNACKPACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:35 PM   #3695
Tech Initiate

Snackpack, thanks for the info about the shims. I dont have any shims inside the clutch bell, all I have is two bearings as the manual says.

Before I had the MTX4, I had an HPI EVO 3, which was my first car, and the clutch in the Evo3 engaged much earlier than with my mtx4, and I guess I got used to it.
TomiRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #3696
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

As far as the gears striping, make sure you have a good tool when tighten the screws. Also set the mesh real tight till it is binding when you try to spin the spur gears backwards, then barely shift the motor till it sort of starts to spin free and leave it there. That's how I solved my problem and they are still going strong. Now when I look at the gear mesh, there is not any space between the gears. Before, I could see the space.

Last edited by mgreen; 03-05-2006 at 01:28 AM.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:52 PM   #3697
Tech Regular

Hi PRG,

If you have checked almost everything... there's just 1 more thing you could checked and i suspect.

Checked the 2 speed shaft ain't bend (due to hard crash) by rolling it on a flat surface. (Since your car had 8 weeks of runtime).

If this is ok, check the 2 bearings on the Rear Bulkhead holding this 2 speed shaft.

I had this 2nd Gear stripping issue once, but on a different car (not a Mugen and 1/8th scale ). The problem was the 2 speed shaft worn out on where it rest on the bearing on the rear bulhead. Realised it when i dis assemble the 2 speed shaft out.

Good Luck !
Bad Mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:06 AM   #3698
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prg
yes i am aware of that problem and can confirm that the screws with correct washers are seating correctly. the screws and washers have also been replaced. during the pre worlds i replaced the mounts as one of the attempts to rectify the prob. had help from other mugen drivers and was able to have it work for a 10 min heat then a 20 min final.. during the next 20 min final it stripped.... i can assure you the engine was very tight..
i am having gear stripping problems as well as a mate of mine so you are not alone,like you i have checked and tried all the things i could think of as well as all the info from this thread none of which have worked, i have tried the mesh tight and loose with no success, i raced the mtx-3 for 2 years with .8 gears and never stripped a single gear i only changed the gears when they became sharp, so the problem i feel is in the chassis flexing when travelling over bumps, curbs or on impacts even with alloy side and lower braces i am still stripping gears so i am hoping a 4mm chassis when it is released will fix the problem
chookgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #3699
Tech Champion

Also check the clutchbell's bearings ( three bearings ).
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #3700
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Also check the clutchbell's bearings ( three bearings ).
I was running the clutchbell with only two bearings... This is what happens when you buy an used car . But I got such a good deal on it its alright... . I'll report after this upcoming weekend all of my mods/checks to see if they resolved stripping gears. Top drivers like Art Carbonell, Gianni Giorgio and other serpent drivers are going to be visiting the island; hopefully I'll give em a hard time with my stock TZ Mugen (probably not).
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #3701
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookgb
i am having gear stripping problems as well as a mate of mine so you are not alone,like you i have checked and tried all the things i could think of as well as all the info from this thread none of which have worked, i have tried the mesh tight and loose with no success, i raced the mtx-3 for 2 years with .8 gears and never stripped a single gear i only changed the gears when they became sharp, so the problem i feel is in the chassis flexing when travelling over bumps, curbs or on impacts even with alloy side and lower braces i am still stripping gears so i am hoping a 4mm chassis when it is released will fix the problem
Correct!!

My clutch bell rubs on the 2nd gear housing when chassis flexes,
major problem on mugens behalf.
Might have to shave a bit of the clutch bell.
Im not too impressed, never had a problem with mtx-3
PROVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #3702
Tech Rookie

has any one had problems with the bearings in the bell housing falling apart
at the momment i am needing to replace them after ever race meet
which is only 3 heats and 1 finial any ideas on how to fix this fault!!!
jase99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #3703
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok before I even start building my MTX4 I need to know if this 2nd gear stripping is something I should be really concerned about. If is there a fix for it? Please feel free your suggestions. My car is still in the box with plastic wrap still in place.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #3704
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Is any modification required to the clutch bell to run the 3 bearings? I had heard about this, but I have not tried it yet. I have an extra bearing that I can throw in there though.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #3705
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

I just threw in a spare 5x8 bearing I had. No modification is needed to use the third bearing. Does the kit come with 2 or 3 clutch bearings?
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote