Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

do i have to get 2mm offset wheels(foams)? fast tires
Old 03-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The car comes with 1deg offset tires. I am not sure who else makes them. You can also use 0deg tires with the plastic spacer that comes with the kit or get 2deg offset tire. If you do go with the 2deg tires you will have to narrow up the rear of the car.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sook
It really does not have anything to do with tight gear mesh or a one piece engine mount. Although the one piece engine mount is sweet. It was actually mentioned early on in this thread, but it is a very good truthful fact. Your engine must be near perfect to perpendicular to the gears. Keep the split between 4, 5 or 6 and it should be fine. Anything more and you are taking risk at losing the second gear. If your engine alignment is near perpendicular line to the gears without any odd angles, you will not have a striping problem.

Well this past State race, at Kissimmee Raceway, Kissimmee FL, 6 MTX4's, including mine, blew 2nd gear. Now I'm not new at this, and I think I might have blown 2nd gear in my MTX3, once in 2 years. Now I've gone threw 7 2nd gears now. Not sure what's going on, but I'm getting pretty tired of working all weekend to get the car dialed in, for 2nd gear to give up like it did, again.

2 cars that lost 2nd gear, were Mugen team drivers, that I won't mention names. 2 Other cars, are people in the top of the list for our division.

With us racing in Serpents back yard (Florida) you would think that the TEAM Mugen, would help all the none factory backed Mugens, at a State, or National event. Not so.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i use the original gears from the mtx3 19x44- 19x43
Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jea3
Well this past State race, at Kissimmee Raceway, Kissimmee FL, 6 MTX4's, including mine, blew 2nd gear. Now I'm not new at this, and I think I might have blown 2nd gear in my MTX3, once in 2 years. Now I've gone threw 7 2nd gears now. Not sure what's going on, but I'm getting pretty tired of working all weekend to get the car dialed in, for 2nd gear to give up like it did, again.

2 cars that lost 2nd gear, were Mugen team drivers, that I won't mention names. 2 Other cars, are people in the top of the list for our division.

With us racing in Serpents back yard (Florida) you would think that the TEAM Mugen, would help all the none factory backed Mugens, at a State, or National event. Not so.
Honestly, I blew about 7 2nd gears in my MTX-3. But honestly I probably asked for half of them (didnt take time to do good gear mesh). In my MTX-4, I have only stripped 2 gears (only raced once), and one of those stripped the same way of the first. This is because I didnt do re-mesh when I stripped the first time since it was during my main. I havent given a fully proper test to this, but someone suggested to use serpent 710 diff balls in the 2nd clutch shoes. The bigger steel balls gives a more consistant shifting and if I aint mistaking, are better balanced than mugen's. No, Im not saying that 710 diff balls in the shift shoes will resolve this, but after doing this mod. I have been able to run about 10 tanks on track without stripping gears...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Don't hate me for saying the S-word in the previous post or even thinking about putting S-parts in my MTX-4.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

what shore foams are being used for the MTX4?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

I stripped 2nd gear last weekend also in my MTX4. Never stripped a gear once on my MTX3
Old 03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gonzo416
what shore foams are being used for the MTX4?
If there's nobody at your local track to ask, I think 40 shore all the way around is a good starting point. Afterwards, its harder up front and softer in the rear. Sometimes I would run 40 shore in the rear and 42 shore up front. Also, I'm always running 2 degree offset on my car. Make sure you get 30MM rear tires and 26MM front.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
I was running the clutchbell with only two bearings... This is what happens when you buy an used car . But I got such a good deal on it its alright... . I'll report after this upcoming weekend all of my mods/checks to see if they resolved stripping gears. Top drivers like Art Carbonell, Gianni Giorgio and other serpent drivers are going to be visiting the island; hopefully I'll give em a hard time with my stock TZ Mugen (probably not).
Art's running a MTX-4 now so you can team up with him.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

a friend of mine lost 3 60t gears with no reason the same day, he switched from 17/23 53/60 to 17/23 53/59. and the most important thing, he added more space between the shoes, two months with the same spurs so far, just had to re adjust the screw for the shoes
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff whiting
Art's running a MTX-4 now so you can team up with him.
Awesome... Thought he was still driving a serpent 710...
Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What help are you looking for.

To all you guys blowing gears, I wish I was there when it happens so I could see what is going on. I have put about 3-4 gallons of fuel through my MTX4 (got mine out of the first US batch) so far and have not stripped a gear yet. I did lose some on my MTX 3 in 2 years, but that was usually from the car catching air. If you think it is happening because of hard shifting, tighten the center screws in the 2 speed shoes. I run those with a reasonable amount of space between the shoes. This will smooth out the shifting. Other than that, without being there I could only speculate on what is causing the problem. Like I said, I have mine almost as long as anybody and haven't trashed one spur gear yet.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

Default my 1st round mugen qlfying set up.

Won the 1st round with tough fight among RRR.
track width
F 198.5mm
R 200mm
camber
f L 1.5 R 2.0
r L 2.5 R 3.0
Toe F +1 R -2.5
Upper arm post 0.5mm
Shock piston F 1.1 2 holes R 1.2 1 hole
Shock oil F&R 500 mugen
Shock spring F light blue R grey
Shock post F 2,R from top 3.
steering ackerman C
Lower arm post Centre
Upright spacer 1mm
Antiroll 2.1mm 0mm
Upper arm post middle
F 1way rear 15K diff.
Side pulley 24t
Clutch shoe grey,spring medium
Centrifugal light weight 4pcs
Bell clearance 4mm,spring nut position 1.2mm(direct bearing no washer)
Gear pinion 17/22 spur 59/52
Tyre F37 62.5mm R40 64.5mm
Run time 30mnts.

MUGEN POWER!!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
What help are you looking for.

To all you guys blowing gears, I wish I was there when it happens so I could see what is going on. I have put about 3-4 gallons of fuel through my MTX4 (got mine out of the first US batch) so far and have not stripped a gear yet. I did lose some on my MTX 3 in 2 years, but that was usually from the car catching air. If you think it is happening because of hard shifting, tighten the center screws in the 2 speed shoes. I run those with a reasonable amount of space between the shoes. This will smooth out the shifting. Other than that, without being there I could only speculate on what is causing the problem. Like I said, I have mine almost as long as anybody and haven't trashed one spur gear yet.
Me too..... I lost 1 spur gear only once during 1 year ownership. It was my fault not to mesh the 2nd gear correctly. You could open the 1st spur gear and see the gear mesh on the 2nd gear. If they are good, then re-install the 1st spur gear, clip it, and try to spin the gear before using it. If the gears can spin under their own rotational mass.... it's good and ready to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.