Congratulations InitialD.

Tech Champion.
Diesel Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #1142
Tech Addict

Post about the delivery

Quote:
Originally posted by Diesel Racer
Thanks for the offer lawndoggie, you are a true gentleman but I really got to have one before then, perhaps you could suggest a decent LHS that will ship to the UK.
The problem on the Net sometimes is that they say the have ore have the lowest price but at the point of selling there is no stock !!!
we bought a lot of kits and started a pre-ordering so if you are in you got it fast.......
first week of December were shipping the first kits out

3Racing-Ride-BRP-Team Orion-XRAY-HUDY-Serpent-Kyosho-Lrp-Speed Passion-MR33-JG-and many more
border r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #1143
Tech Addict

Default Jesus

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelS
Jesus!!!!

didn't have a look for two days and I'm completely lost!!!! For sure this forum is growing fast.

Luckily Julius took over and no complaints about his answers from my side.
Seems a lot of you guys are looking for a small track set-up. Mmmh, I have to admit, that my experience with small tracks is very basic. But thinking about it, it seemes logical to me to assume that the main difference is that there are hardly any on-throttle corners on smaller tracks.
So regarding set-up you just have to get your car to turn in, anything on-throttle is of little interest.
That means to me a very "open" diff and probably quite a lot of caster. Also it maybe useful to get away with as little rear toe as possible.
If a front diff is usefull or noe depends: if there are only few braking corners, a one-way front may be better. If you have to brake a lot, use a diff.
is he racing toooo..

3Racing-Ride-BRP-Team Orion-XRAY-HUDY-Serpent-Kyosho-Lrp-Speed Passion-MR33-JG-and many more
border r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:34 PM   #1144
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Hey InitialD.......any idea where is "ammdrew"..? Back then at HPI forum and here, he was very active and I found him very helpfull on Impulse....did he jumped the wegon to Mugen or NTC3 or Retired...?
Ammdrew is a die-hard serpent fan and like me, has two 710:s on order for the winternats. He has been gone for a full month being all he can be (i.e. National Guard). But right now I'd say he is standing in his garage trying to figure out how to get his brand new NovaMax from HK fired up on my hudy bench. Had to buy one for him too.... They looked too good. I know he loves his old Rickey, but this MAX is simply too sweet to pass up. I'm sure once he get's his stuff figured out he will be here as often as any of us.
fmolzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #1145
Tech Regular

Default 710 bearings

Looking at the pic on mytsn of the 710 bearings, they look like they might be same size as for 705. Does anybody know? Also, I remember I read in the ROAR rules that ceramic bearings were outlawed, but was that for just engines or for entire cars? I was thinking about getting myself a set of ceramics just to see what they do (if anything). Can anyone tell me the bearing sizes and how many of each for the 710?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:28 PM   #1146
Tech Regular

Default Upstop, schmup stop!

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
hey D need your opinion because here we go again

Terms
Downstops: suspension (physical chassis)down travel limiters

Upstops: suspension up travel limiters=Droop screws however referred to by many as downstops.

More caster: King pin tilted more rearward=more on power steering

Less caster: King pin stood more upright=more turn in steering

More rear toe =more turn in stability but less on power steering=push

Less rear toe=less turn stability but more on power steering=oversteer

do you agree?
This guy a few posts up seems to be getting confused some. and for some reason few people agree on terms.
Dennis?
To the best of my recollection, this confusion exists because Serpent defines up or down as the movement of the suspension with reference to the chassis.
Ron Paris, in his setup instructions did it just opposite, and defined "up" as the movement of the chassis with respect to suspension (pavement).
When you put the car on the Hudy blocks, what limits the up travel of the suspension is the upstop. What limits the down travel of the suspension is the down stop (or droop) (the suspension DROOPS). N.B. the chassis is fixed on the Hudy blocks during setup and the only adjustment possible is to the movement of the suspension UP or DOWN, limited by the respective stop. jack
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:29 PM   #1147
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by fmolzer
Ammdrew is a die-hard serpent fan and like me, has two 710:s on order for the winternats. He has been gone for a full month being all he can be (i.e. National Guard). But right now I'd say he is standing in his garage trying to figure out how to get his brand new NovaMax from HK fired up on my hudy bench. Had to buy one for him too.... They looked too good. I know he loves his old Rickey, but this MAX is simply too sweet to pass up. I'm sure once he get's his stuff figured out he will be here as often as any of us.
Well Fmolzer, very nice to meet you here too.............I still remember like 4-5 years ago, ammdrew was one of the few that can opened up the Impulse SS and shared his setup thru the net forum. Of course, 5 years ago internet forum is not exactly the same as of today and it was a dream to have ppl like Salven, Rene or Julius that are the designer, team driver and developer of Serpent and share their concept and their opinion especially their SETUP experience with us for FREE...........it was a luxury back then.

I still remembered my buddy and I will only race our Impulse SS with Ammdrew's hand made foam tires only...........definitely not cheap from him back then, but somehow there were no foams like that and they were well worth the price and wait.

So Winter National at 02-2004 is the 710 debute? Where is the W.N at next year? State or other country? Thanks all
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:53 PM   #1148
Tech Regular

Winternats is Feb 8-14 in Ft Myers. Very nice and competitive race... Last year was our first try at it and I think we have learned from our mistakes, so this year will indeed be very exciting. Yepp, I remember when Andrew was cutting away foam in his basement too, back then it was the only good stuff you could put on your impulse. But with those tires you could drive in circles around the rubber tire cars... It was a lot of fun, until everyone had foams....
Old 11-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #1149
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb New pinions and spurs

About the new pinions and spurs, Is there any difference between two equal relations, one with old style big teeth, and same relation with the new smaller teeth??.
donorato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:16 PM   #1150
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I am here and alive and well just got back from a month long army school, talk about no fun, and will spend the next few weeks deploying my old team to Iraq, then it is prep for winternats.. they are always at Ft Myers, florida, and usually around valantines day, as if the wife needed any new excusse to hate rc..

I would have to say all said all cars are pretty equall, and competitive, but i have a fondness for the snake.. and hav found nothing i like better( with exception to my 1/5th F1)...

rookie you should come to winternats.. you would really enjoy.. i would bing 40 and 42 shore tires and a reliable motor.. it is probably one of the funnest tracks I have ever raced......

and droop screws are the ones that control the drop out of the suspension.. upstop screws are usually not nedded.. and stop the chassie from bottoming, or the upward movement of the suspension arm.. same for serp and ron....
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:14 PM   #1151
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ammdrew whats up
Hello again Jack

droop schmoop same means to an end. hence the clarification to my post. ask 6 times get 6 different answers all right and wrong.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:56 PM   #1152
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Fuel tank

Quote:
Originally posted by Diesel Racer
As a matter of interest is there any reason why the fuel tank wasn't reshaped on the 710 to gain a lower profile and hence a lower CG, much like the TM G4's, I know the throttle servo is in the way to the right and to move that out would change the polar moment, but surely the tank could have extended forward, it's just with the rest of the low profile design the tank sticks up like a flag pole which looks pretty crap.
Maybe engine gurus like Dennis can confirm this but I read somewhere that you can lower the tank so much to a point when it is lower than the engine carb, then problems with the fuel not being able to be picked up by the carb will arrise. This means engine problems !!

No doubt the engine mounts will be lowered about 2 mm on the 710 when compared to the 705 while at most, the same tank can only be lowered about 1 mm when compared to the same tank that is mounted on the 705, judging from the fact that a 4 mm chassis is used on the 710. My 2 cents.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #1153
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by ammdrew
rookie you should come to winternats.. you would really enjoy.. i would bing 40 and 42 shore tires and a reliable motor.. it is probably one of the funnest tracks I have ever raced......
I think you and Fredrik should try Speedmind dished tires. Their foams last longer and their rims do not crack and bend. Good for the Ft Myer's boards !
Old 11-20-2003, 06:05 PM   #1154
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes you can but in that case the engine has to be pretty wicked inside and then you can revert to actual crankcase pressure. I don't think we will ever need to worry about it on the cars, maybe a tether car. LOL
were talking like a rear rotor 60 with a 13MM venturi on it at 220 degrees intake timing and 190 on the exhaust

this is more of a problem for an engine without the aid of tuned pipe pressure
Old 11-20-2003, 06:07 PM   #1155
Tech Prophet

Default Re: New pinions and spurs

Quote:
Originally posted by donorato
About the new pinions and spurs, Is there any difference between two equal relations, one with old style big teeth, and same relation with the new smaller teeth??.
The 710 spots a finer pitch (0.8 module) of pinions and spurs while the 705 is still using the older coarser ones.