R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #9856
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its easy to tell if the clutch is overheating take it apart and see if the flyweights are distorted or better yet after a hard run temp the clutch bell and the gun will scare the hell out of you
Old 05-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #9857
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
its easy to tell if the clutch is overheating take it apart and see if the flyweights are distorted or better yet after a hard run temp the clutch bell and the gun will scare the hell out of you
now thats something new...temp the clutch bell
Old 05-09-2004, 12:08 AM   #9858
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Default fly weights

So the flyweights get the addes weight from the M3x4 set screw, and sit on the pins? or in between ?
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:08 AM   #9859
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Saturday surpise!

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Sorry for the uneventful day Mark... Hope today / tomorrow would be good for you.

I think the most important thing about the thrust bearing is to make sure that step 8.7 on page 28 of the manual to put shims to minimise end play is followed. Next make sure the thrust bearing is installed correctly. Inner ring (5.0 mm) first towards the clutch shoes followed by the bigger one (5.2 mm).

If you use the Mugen Super Grease, you would not need to grease it often. I have not greased mine about a month of racing and it still works plenty fine. You can still see grease sticking to the balls of the inner ring.
I think where I went wrong was with the "minimal end play" bit and not using Mugen Grease. I thought I'd only left a small amount of endplay, but then when I read Glenn's article and he mentioned between something like 0.1mm and 0.05mm I saw that my endplay was too much. Now I can push and pull the bell and I see only a small amount of movement.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:15 AM   #9860
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
I don't think Hudy are modifying the part number for the modified setup system (# 108250) - but it only takes about 5 mins to modify the original system, if you have a dremel.

Cheers, Mark.
Yes Hudy is coming in a couple of weeks with a new set-up set that will fit the 710 corectly a simple mod. for the upper plate.

3Racing-Ride-BRP-Team Orion-XRAY-HUDY-Serpent-Kyosho-Lrp-Speed Passion-MR33-JG-and many more
border r/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:18 AM   #9861
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by border r/c
Yes Hudy is coming in a couple of weeks with a new set-up set that will fit the 710 corectly a simple mod. for the upper plate.
Thanks for the info I think I'm going to need some rain tyres Rain again! time to polish the 710
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 03:35 AM   #9862
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: manifold problem

Quote:
I'm still waiting to strike it big on the lottery ticket ! When I do, I'll let you guys know !
Yeah right, I think if you do strike it big you'll be buying out Madam's shop!

.. then you'll be buying out myTSN!
Old 05-09-2004, 03:38 AM   #9863
Tech Elite

Quote:
Try it ! Why do you think we get to play here?

Anyway, the skies held up yesterday and it was overcast ! Pretty cooling to play in the afternoon.

My apologies to rub it in Mark, Sow&Steady and the rest but today is going to be another beautiful day !
Man ... its already 10:30am and it looks like the forecast is right ... its very cloudy and now drizzling.

Maybe I should go ahead and start the rebuilding.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:41 AM   #9864
Tech Elite

Quote:
And if you don't have a temp gun will the spit method sizzle?

Only kidding ... what temp can I expect to see for an overheating clutch Motorman?
Old 05-09-2004, 03:43 AM   #9865
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the info I think I'm going to need some rain tyres Rain again! time to polish the 710
Ooops! Welcome to the "Let's Polish Our 710" club!
Old 05-09-2004, 03:52 AM   #9866
Tech Adept

Default 200mm International at Heemstede

Quote:
Maybe we should all turn up at MACH Heemstede and make, like what D says, an impromptu RCTECH-Serpent Worlds - sounds good to me
At June 5-6th 2004 come to Heemstede "HOME OF SERPENT" for the 200mm International race.
And be ready to drive against some of the top Serpent drivers (not me yet , but i'm still going to race)

Invitation

Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 05:12 AM   #9867
Tech Elite

Default Re: 200mm International at Heemstede

Quote:
Originally posted by Schrijver99
At June 5-6th 2004 come to Heemstede "HOME OF SERPENT" for the 200mm International race.
And be ready to drive against some of the top Serpent drivers (not me yet , but i'm still going to race)

Invitation

Yea! This sounds good! MarK? Where are you hiding? Let's go man!
Old 05-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #9868
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
The solution is to run Glens setup with the Serpent Yellow shoe, heavy spring and weighted flyweights. Or the Red Rulon shoe (they are available) I make with a mugen hard silver spring and weighted flyweights.
Hi Motorman,

Will you please send me more information about your 'Red Rulon shoe' ? And the Mugen hard spring?

I would like more descriptions, part numbers, availability... that sort of thing.

Also, may I put some of the information from your post in my Centax-3 article on myTSN?

Regards,
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:08 AM   #9869
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
By weighted, do you mean physically put weight on the shoes like what Glenn wrote in his article or by cutting up the shoes to use it as a flyweight and mount it in between the pins? I believe both methods will make for heavier flyweights...
Would anyone care to comment on this question, please?
I too am curious. Some people say 'cut flyweights' and others say 'weighted flyweights'... to me cut flyweights can mean a few different things.
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #9870
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there are several methods on the flyweights, cutting the tips gives them less centrifical force as they get lighter so the engine must spin up more to overcome the spring and engage the clutch. this is good and bad. its good because you can get some more low end punch, but because the force is lower as engine torwue rises the clutch starts slipping as the shoe cannot hold the clamp on the bell tight enough.
Weighting the shoes by drilling the tips and adding set screws gives them more centrifical force with also gives more punch but if the spring tension is not increased the engine will always bog off the corner. with the stock spring it is to light and you cannot get it to tighten up enough before the spring actually bottoms out hence you cannot get rid of the bog and the clutch will phusically not travel far enough to bit the bell correctly causing slip once again. This is why you need to go to higher rate spring so it can be adjusted tight enough to give you low end punch with weighted flyweights and not coil bind before the shoe actually contacts the bell. Centax 3 clutches are so small their centrifical force is low so they become very critical on setup.

If the clutch bell turns blue its overheating, you should try to stay below 400 degrees the plastic flyweights will start to melt soon after that. Also remember that the clutch transfers a serious amount of heat into the nose of the engine. Many times the engine is blamed when it stalls during a heat race on a pit stop even though it ran qualifiers all day with no tuning problems. if the clutch over heats the nose of the crank the engine vaporlocks causing it to stall. This is why its so hard to restart an overheated engine as the fuel hits the inlet of the crank and vaporizes. usually the front of the engine is hotter than the head because of the clutch.

Glen the spring PN's are
Mugen H0767 Silver Super hard
Mugen H0764 Medium
The Rulon is the Same material as the Delta type shoes being made for other cars

I switch between both from time to time.

My 2 cents
heavy flyweights and spring GOOD
light flyweights and soft spring BAD

does any of this make sense or have I done a poor job of wording it?

Last edited by Motorman; 05-09-2004 at 08:31 AM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote