R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2004, 08:55 AM   #8311
Tech Fanatic
 
BaxterC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
At the time I panicked! I didn't know the car wasn't turned on so I quickly grabbed the M8 and tried to press the brake but the throttle wouldn't return! So then I attempted to shut the car off with my running shoe. Only after I finally got it shut off that I realized that I never even turned the car on. Trust me, when you hear your brand new engine screaming in pain all you can think off is getting it shut down as quick as possible! I'll take it apart this weekend as its suppost to rain again, but I'm sure it will be OK. Let me tell you, that NS12S3 really screams!!!
I am sure, I cant wait to start mine up... I am sure it will make the neibors wonder what it is I am running in... I am sure it will be ok, just heat cycle it now...
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:26 PM   #8312
Tech Elite
 
markp27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 4,069
Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: sepent starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodo_Magic
i have a serpent powerstart compact and today when trying to start my engine the starter could not turn the fly over i have only started my car about 20 times on it and now the two motors have seemed to of lost all power (and yes the batteries are fully charged!) Do i need to replace the motors and if so should i buy a couple of modifieds to install instead?
a couple of things to check:

The belts mustn't be too tight, otherwise they'll put too much load on the motors.

Secondly, although the batteries may have been charged, if it was their first charge, then they can loose that charge quite quickly.
Or could it be that the batteries were charged a few days ago - they don't hold their charge for such a long time.

It is best to cycle the batteries a few times before first usage. Also charge them on the evening before you use them (after discharging them) to ensure that you'll get the best performance out of them,

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:22 PM   #8313
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 979
Default Re: Re: sepent starter

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
a couple of things to check:

The belts mustn't be too tight, otherwise they'll put too much load on the motors.

Secondly, although the batteries may have been charged, if it was their first charge, then they can loose that charge quite quickly.
Or could it be that the batteries were charged a few days ago - they don't hold their charge for such a long time.

It is best to cycle the batteries a few times before first usage. Also charge them on the evening before you use them (after discharging them) to ensure that you'll get the best performance out of them,

Cheers, Mark.
Also, make sure you unplug the batteries after use. They seem to discharge faster when they are plugged in even though the switch in the box should prevent it...
__________________
Team Serpent, Xceed, Sanwa, LRP
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:30 PM   #8314
Tech Fanatic
 
PSI Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 881
Default Drive Ratio Table for 710

This is a quote from an article on mytsn.com

Drive Ratio Table for 710


We have recieved many requests from Serpent 710 owners for a Drive Ratio Table/calculator. So here it is, a simple sheet, displaying the drive ratio between the front and rear wheels when using different tyre diameters. Also included in the sheet is a Gear Ratio table which shows the revolutions of the engine, in both 1st & 2nd gear, in relation to 1 turn of the gearbox shaft when using different gearing combinations.

It is available to download and view as a PDF from the Serpent 710 page.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #8315
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
Well, Of coarse... Tell me, did one of my people contact you at all? If not, pm me your new number (if it has not changed). My kit has finally been shipped, I checked, I waited 3 weeks for them to ship. Waiting for a servo...
i bet you cant wait to build your 710
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:28 PM   #8316
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: sepent starter

When I got my new PowerStart Box Grey (1400G), there was a notice included that said that the electric motors must be run-in for 5 solid minutes BEFORE attempting to use the starterbox to start a gas engine.
GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:31 PM   #8317
Tech Fanatic
 
PSI Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 881
Default Re: Re: Re: sepent starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennCauley
When I got my new PowerStart Box Grey (1400G), there was a notice included that said that the electric motors must be run-in for 5 solid minutes BEFORE attempting to use the starterbox to start a gas engine.
What batteries are you guys using in your Serpent starter boxes?
I'm using cheap Epic 1500's and I sometimes have trouble starting my .21 engine.
If I switch out the motors, what kind of motors should I get?
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #8318
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: TEXAS. USA
Posts: 1,219
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: sepent starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PSI Racing
What batteries are you guys using in your Serpent starter boxes?
I'm using cheap Epic 1500's and I sometimes have trouble starting my .21 engine.
If I switch out the motors, what kind of motors should I get?
Try some 3000's or 3300's packs.
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #8319
Tech Regular
 
KevinS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 257
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: sepent starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PSI Racing
What batteries are you guys using in your Serpent starter boxes?
I'm using cheap Epic 1500's and I sometimes have trouble starting my .21 engine.
If I switch out the motors, what kind of motors should I get?
I bought my battery packs from eBay, 4 3000mAh packs for $20 each. These packs may not be the best quality for electric cars, but they do just fine in my starterbox!

The sellers site is www.cheapbatterypacks.com and I think the eBay handle is "cheapbatterypacks".

What motors? I don't know... I'm not really familiar with all that electric stuff...
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #8320
Tech Fanatic
 
PSI Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 881
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sepent starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinS
I bought my battery packs from eBay, 4 3000mAh packs for $20 each. These packs may not be the best quality for electric cars, but they do just fine in my starterbox!

The sellers site is www.cheapbatterypacks.com and I think the eBay handle is "cheapbatterypacks".

What motors? I don't know... I'm not really familiar with all that electric stuff...
Thanks, I'll check it out.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #8321
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Auckland,New Zealand
Posts: 590
Default Re: Drive Ratio Table for 710

Quote:
Originally posted by PSI Racing
This is a quote from an article on mytsn.com

Drive Ratio Table for 710


We have recieved many requests from Serpent 710 owners for a Drive Ratio Table/calculator. So here it is, a simple sheet, displaying the drive ratio between the front and rear wheels when using different tyre diameters. Also included in the sheet is a Gear Ratio table which shows the revolutions of the engine, in both 1st & 2nd gear, in relation to 1 turn of the gearbox shaft when using different gearing combinations.

It is available to download and view as a PDF from the Serpent 710 page.
i have just downloaded the table please could somebody explain what it means please

P.S Thanksfor the info on the starter it starts on my car battery so i think its the cells are not very good (cheap cells)
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:05 PM   #8322
Tech Master
 
Pyramid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: ID
Posts: 1,945
Default Re: sepent starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodo_Magic
i have a serpent powerstart compact and today when trying to start my engine the starter could not turn the fly over i have only started my car about 20 times on it and now the two motors have seemed to of lost all power (and yes the batteries are fully charged!) Do i need to replace the motors and if so should i buy a couple of modifieds to install instead?
The next time you buy another stater box, find this one,

QWR-10246 S Steel Stater Box 1/8, 1/10

That is a very reliable (Taiwan Made) Stanless Steel stater box that also accept Dry Battery (AH-7) which cost much cheaper than those painted Serpent Grey stater box.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 PM   #8323
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 315
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 3-Racing Handlepost (se710-030)

Don't buy it!


I just received this 3Racing rollover bar and handle set, and tried to install it. It looks very pretty doesn't it? All the fine detail work...

When I tried to install the small grubscrews that hold the bar in the mounts, it took only one twist and the threads stripped right out of the mount holes. This happened with ALL the threaded holes.

Money down the drain.

GlennCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:50 PM   #8324
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South FLorida
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Default

I am sorry to hear that...

Do they not make good stuff? i just ordered the 1mm ofset hubs.. i hope they are good.
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #8325
Tech Master
 
Pyramid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: ID
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Profoxcg
I am sorry to hear that...

Do they not make good stuff? i just ordered the 1mm ofset hubs.. i hope they are good.
Tolerances on dimension are good, within 0.01 only!! the fits might have been a problem for `some` of their products such as aluminum pulley holder (hole to big for shaft), front bumber (alum piece to hold the carbon with lower bumber plate is 0.7mm to tall).
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Serpent 835 JFCJ R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 02-20-2005 09:29 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:52 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net