R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #23311
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
A ball diff not set properly could be the cause, unless the car is tweaked very very bad cause when I first drove my 720 it was tweaked sum and didn't do any of the things Anthony's car is doing. Place the car on a flat surface and pick it up from rear and see how much more one side comes up from the other and do the same in the front then judge how tweaked it is. If it's alot then really work on fixing it also check to see that the side belt is engaging because this sound like more than tweak it sounds like something in the drivetrain.
What's a lot?

Before any adjustment (all shock collars set the same for ride heigth) one rear wheel lifts at most about a 1/16 of inch before the other side. I can adjust it out to where both wheels lift equally with several turns of the opposite front shock or visa versa.

I tend to agree with you about it being something more than tweak. I'm going to check all the pulleys and make sure they are the right teeth for where they are. The side belt is definitely engaging because I do get power to the front wheels. I'm just not sure if its equally between the two front wheels. That's why I want to put back in the solid axle. That should correct the on power problems. I know its not the rear diff, it's a gear diff and is in very good condition and feels real good.

I want to rule out shocks and tweak tonight, I hope.
AnthonyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #23312
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

By alot I mean more than what you said, the reason I feel it could be the drivetrain is cause I used to run a 2wd S-impact with a rear ball diff and if it was off in setting the car let you know. If you see most set-ups in touring cars us e either a front gear-diff or solid no one really uses ball diffs because of the slip it has and the time it takes to get right. Hope this helps anything you need to ask feel free.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #23313
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
By alot I mean more than what you said, the reason I feel it could be the drivetrain is cause I used to run a 2wd S-impact with a rear ball diff and if it was off in setting the car let you know. If you see most set-ups in touring cars us e either a front gear-diff or solid no one really uses ball diffs because of the slip it has and the time it takes to get right. Hope this helps anything you need to ask feel free.
Actually I took the ball diff out last night and re-installed the one way axle and locked it solid. Haven't tried it yet though.

I noticed that the ball diff wasn't put together correctly. The external collar was on backwards therefore only restricting one side. I also tore the diff apart and put just a touch of diff grease on the balls. I did that because the diff didn't feel smooth enough. Its a brand new diff. Now the diff feels very smooth and consistent and with the external collar installed correctly it could work as a diff or a solid. I'll try that after I check the solid front.

I also noticed there may be two different types of pistons in the front shocks. One was adjustable, the other wasn't. So I made them as close as possible. So the next thing I need to do is rebuild all the shocks, as someone has already mentioned.

I'm kind of glad this car didn't just work perfectly the first time. I'm learning a lot about how picky it is when things aren't setup right. I'll eventually get it, especially with the help of this forum.

thanks guys. I appreciate it.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #23314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You don't want to grease the ball diffs on a 710. They are exposed and the grease will attract dirt. I ran my diffs dry when I had a 710 and they lasted much longer.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #23315
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Bros Racing View Post
You don't want to grease the ball diffs on a 710. They are exposed and the grease will attract dirt. I ran my diffs dry when I had a 710 and they lasted much longer.
humm, the diff felt very uneven and sort of binding in a couple of places until I put a little grease on the balls. I didn't put much. Maybe it would have smoothed out on its own after some real use. I only had about 1/2 hour run time on that diff.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #23316
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyN View Post
humm, the diff felt very uneven and sort of binding in a couple of places until I put a little grease on the balls. I didn't put much. Maybe it would have smoothed out on its own after some real use. I only had about 1/2 hour run time on that diff.
What I do in my 710, which I use the Ball Differential, I take a Little Plastic Bag put some Diff Grease and then put the balls in the bag move them so they get cover with the grease and the install them in each hole so the grease cover completely the balls only, this has work very good for me.

RCPANAMA
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #23317
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpanama View Post
What I do in my 710, which I use the Ball Differential, I take a Little Plastic Bag put some Diff Grease and then put the balls in the bag move them so they get cover with the grease and the install them in each hole so the grease cover completely the balls only, this has work very good for me.

RCPANAMA
Yea, I didn't apply much more than that either. It should be OK.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #23318
Tech Adept

Default Can't set front ride height low enough

Hello,

I'm having trouble setting my front ride height to 6mm. The lowest I can get it is about 7.5mm. I'm using the default shock placement and the shocks are set to the correct length for the front.

What do I have to do to lower the ride hieght?

an
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #23319
Tech Rookie

Hello Anthony,
I will suggest to use gear diffs(front and rear). Try to use the highest #number of diff grease for the front(120,000) and the rear try (10,000 or 8,000). I use ofna brand. Also try the red spring and make sure that the holes on the shocks are the same.
El Buenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #23320
Tech Adept

Default Centax thrust bearing hex screw keeps comming loose

Hello,

Does anyone know why the end hex screw on the centax clutch keeps comming loose? I have sufficient play in the clutch bell. I've tightened the screw as hard as I can, but it will still come lose after a tank or two.

I didn't see anywhere to use locktite on that screw? Are you supposed to?

Anyone ever have this problem, and if so, how did you correct it?

thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #23321
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Buenote View Post
Hello Anthony,
I will suggest to use gear diffs(front and rear). Try to use the highest #number of diff grease for the front(120,000) and the rear try (10,000 or 8,000). I use ofna brand. Also try the red spring and make sure that the holes on the shocks are the same.
would anyone know the part number for the front gear diff
stankulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #23322
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stankulas View Post
would anyone know the part number for the front gear diff
The 710 and 720 use the same front gear diff. The rear is different.
http://www.serpent.com/product/802601/
Picco 2607 pipe
Dynamite race 20%
gearhead13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #23323
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, for all serpent 710 owners, i have a lot of parts new in their packages for sale!! at very low price!! here's the link:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=213744

also, i have a lot more parts of serpent 710 for sale(carbon radio plates, carbon shock towers, carbon chassis stiffeners,complete gear diff fr assembled,complete ball diff fr, etc...) go to the link above for more details. thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
macho28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #23324
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What is the pulley teeth combo for running rubber tires?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #23325
Tech Adept

no change,,i think..