R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #21811
Suspended

Default SERPENT 960

just wanted to let u guys know that the SERPENT 960 is coming!!!
GRUNDIG415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:30 PM   #21812
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cyclops_
well yes, but the rear part of the car is extremely complex compared to other cars....
I don't agree with you there - what do you find so compex? The only real difference to other cars is the DRS arm - you get more setup options with the inserts than most cars - but this doesn't make it complex.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #21813
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

hmm, complex is the wrong werd i gues... look at all the parts used for the 710 rear (just count the parts), and then check another car... there are so many parts, and every part has a fitting to the other, witch eventually fails to fit perfectly... that's just what i notice when i build the car and talk to other racers.. maybe i'm just to clumsy for a 710 ?!
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #21814
Tech Elite

Quote:
hmm, complex is the wrong werd i gues... look at all the parts used for the 710 rear (just count the parts), and then check another car... there are so many parts, and every part has a fitting to the other, witch eventually fails to fit perfectly... that's just what i notice when i build the car and talk to other racers.. maybe i'm just to clumsy for a 710 ?!
Don't listen too much to others - work on the car and learn to understand it - as you work more on the car, you'll see how simple and easy the design is. This simplicity allows you to remove the diff in a minute or so - not many other cars allow this. You'll also thank the design when you wreck a few parts during the race weekend - they can be quickly and easily change....and what's more, they just fit!

I doubt you're too clumsy for the car - as I say, just take some time to get to know it and you're problems will soon disapear

Cheers, Mark.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #21815
Tech Regular

well, the thing is.. the design is nice, i was very happy with it.. and i do believe it's a good car.. but some things, like the fitting of the arms and the free movement is something that serpent has always had... and it's less with the 710, but it still has some things that remind me of what i hear from 'the past'.... and what i remember from my 705...

it's annoying me that i just can't screw it together and it's all free... it's never been that case with my car.. and then i hear other brands not having that problem... and the diff removal is nice, but i don't use that to often, why should i, the diff is adustable from the outside....

the people i listen to are good at R/C racing and do know what they are talking about, it's not just braging about there own brand, but saying what's 'not so good' about the car and the brand (serpent in general).. maybe we hear more negative things about serpent here in the netherlands.. don't know...
now serpent is changing a lot, there's new shocks coming, the 960 comming and there are still other parts in development for the 710, then there is some news about serpent that makes me happy (can't tell what i think...), the news we hear at the mach track is very nice, but it will take long before we (the customer) see result of it... and i know it takes long to develop something, but waiting for new stuff you want/need just sucks!

ohwell, just ranting i gues.. sometimes the hobby frustrates a bit don't you think?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:50 PM   #21816
Tech Elite

Quote:
but some things, like the fitting of the arms and the free movement is something that serpent has always had... and it's less with the 710, but it still has some things that remind me of what i hear from 'the past'.... and what i remember from my 705...
There must be a problem with your car, as I've never had this with the 710 - everything fits perfectly. I've built two kits from scratch and I've replaced many parts on each car and never, never have I had a situation where the fit wasn't perfect.

Quote:
it's annoying me that i just can't screw it together and it's all free... it's never been that case with my car.. and then i hear other brands not having that problem... and the diff removal is nice, but i don't use that to often, why should i, the diff is adustable from the outside....
The diff is just and example - the whole car is like this - you can take particular items off the car without having to disassemble the whole car. The RRR is like this too, but building it was a lot more difficult than the 710 - none of the arms dropped freely and I spent many hours working on the RRR until everything worked as it should.

Quote:
the people i listen to are good at R/C racing and do know what they are talking about, it's not just braging about there own brand, but saying what's 'not so good' about the car and the brand (serpent in general).. maybe we hear more negative things about serpent here in the netherlands.. don't know...
Well, I don't bother listening to people who tell me what's not good about my car - I let my experience tell me what's good and what's not - I couldn't care less what the other guy thinks. I hear people complaining about different things at races and at the track the whole time - most of the time, the ones complaining are the problems themselves.

Quote:
now serpent is changing a lot, there's new shocks coming, the 960 comming and there are still other parts in development for the 710, then there is some news about serpent that makes me happy (can't tell what i think...), the news we hear at the mach track is very nice, but it will take long before we (the customer) see result of it... and i know it takes long to develop something, but waiting for new stuff you want/need just sucks!
The very reason I stick with Serpent lies within you above statement: development! Which ever car it is, you know they are constantly working to make the car better than it already is. We've had the chassis and the 21T front pulley already this year, which really improved the car a lot. Now there are some improved shocks coming, too. Maybe at one time Serpent was different and maybe this is why some people have bad opinions about them - I've only been in RC for 2.5 years, so my experience is still limited - but today I see a company who listens to me and wants to know my opinion about its products - they give me feedback and have a huge resource of information which helps me get the most out of my car. I don't know another company which provides this service to their customers.

Of course each hobby can be frustrating, as you mentioned - and this is something you have to live with - everyone is frustrated at some point, but then when its good, its really good!! and the good outweighs the bad by a long way
Old 07-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #21817
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

My first kit to build from scratch was my 710, it took me 2 days and then I had a shiny new car that Fmolzer rated as "good built"

I would try disassembling the rear of car, and then rebuilding it as the manual says, then you shouldn't have any trouble..
New_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #21818
Suspended

Quote:
well, the thing is.. the design is nice, i was very happy with it.. and i do believe it's a good car.. but some things, like the fitting of the arms and the free movement is something that serpent has always had... and it's less with the 710, but it still has some things that remind me of what i hear from 'the past'.... and what i remember from my 705...

ohwell, just ranting i gues.. sometimes the hobby frustrates a bit don't you think?
we need pics!!!!
GRUNDIG415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #21819
Tech Regular

Thanks for your remarks Mark...

i do agree that serpent is giving feedback, what can i say, i get the latests new hot stuff from the mach track... witch is very cool!

i do think there's something wrong with my car it's second hand, and that might be the problem, but i bought it from a team racer, so i don't think that's the real problem....

when things just don't work it's frustrated...and nearly everything is turned into a dark perspective...

let's hope this weekend racing is good, it will probably clear my mind, thanks for all your respons mark!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #21820
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for your remarks Mark...

i do agree that serpent is giving feedback, what can i say, i get the latests new hot stuff from the mach track... witch is very cool!
Exactly - you have an even better situation than myself - you can go and ask Rene, Julius, Rick, etc directly - that really can't get any better!

Quote:
i do think there's something wrong with my car it's second hand, and that might be the problem, but i bought it from a team racer, so i don't think that's the real problem....
Well as a first step, just disassemble the rear end and then carefully put it back together - if this doesn't solve it then get on of the serpent pros to have a look at it - I'm sure the problem will be solved very quickly.

Quote:
let's hope this weekend racing is good, it will probably clear my mind, thanks for all your respons mark!
Yo! But don't let the little set backs spoil your fun - remain positive and always move on and learn from your experiences even if they were negative.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #21821
Tech Addict

Sow and all you british drivers i hope everybodys ok
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #21822
Tech Adept

Default london

thanks my family lives around the corner (edgware road) from the bombing they are fine. just shock up.
jmgouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #21823
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett.w
Sow and all you british drivers i hope everybodys ok
Brett, thanks mate. To be honest, am extremely lucky because I just changed office. Only last month, my daily routine would have put me smack bang in the tube station at that time (9am) ...
Old 07-10-2005, 03:14 PM   #21824
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
Exactly - you have an even better situation than myself - you can go and ask Rene, Julius, Rick, etc directly - that really can't get any better!

Well as a first step, just disassemble the rear end and then carefully put it back together - if this doesn't solve it then get on of the serpent pros to have a look at it - I'm sure the problem will be solved very quickly.

Yo! But don't let the little set backs spoil your fun - remain positive and always move on and learn from your experiences even if they were negative.

Cheers, Mark.

Well, today was race day, 'master julius' looked at it, and pointed me to the 'not standard' screws in the bottom.... he told me that the lengthe of the screws are important because they might touch each other, witch deformes the plastics...

Now, my race went rather well, we have 2 classes, one Dutch National championship, and another class where the beginners race.. i was in that last class and ended up first :-)

Julius also won his race, and well, the last dutch national race will be very exiting, if julius wins he's champion, if another guy (Jordy Blok) wins, he's champion... can't wait!!!1
Old 07-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #21825
Tech Elite

Quote:
Now, my race went rather well, we have 2 classes, one Dutch National championship, and another class where the beginners race.. i was in that last class and ended up first :-)
We're not worthy we're not worthy