R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-07-2005, 10:12 AM   #21796
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
Check that your rear track width is 200mm - having it too narrow can lead to such problems.
Also if the pivot ball caps are on too tight, this would lead to the arms not dropping freely - check these first.

Other than that, check in the FAQ, where Julius describes how to better assemble the rear end.

Cheers, Mark.

Done what the FAQ discribes, the pivot's are oke, i check for free movement when it is not on the arms... there is a little play in the pivots too, just to make sure they are free....

The right and left arm are equil in length, the track with comes later in setting up the car.. this is still setting the downstops...

i also noticed that the front arm (the drs arm) is higher than the rear-arm... it makes it hard to mesure downstops because i can't rely on the rear-arm being equil to the driveshaft... (do you understand?

I just cant emegin you guys don't have any problems assembling the read of the car
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #21797
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

Assembling and disassembling the rear could be a little tricky sometimes because of the DRS arms, but once you get the hang of it the trickyness is gone

As for the DRS arm being higher, which DRS setting do you use? As far as I know the arms should have the same height if you have the DRS in "neutral", but please correct me if I'm wrong.
New_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #21798
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Toasted
Assembling and disassembling the rear could be a little tricky sometimes because of the DRS arms, but once you get the hang of it the trickyness is gone

As for the DRS arm being higher, which DRS setting do you use? As far as I know the arms should have the same height if you have the DRS in "neutral", but please correct me if I'm wrong.

They are the same height, the height is different at the pivot balls, this comes from the upper arm being more to the rear, automatically lifting the front pivot ball...
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #21799
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cyclops_
The right and left arm are equil in length, the track with comes later in setting up the car.. this is still setting the downstops...
If you have the pivot balls screwed in too far, the arm's movement will be restricted - this is why you need to check your track width at this point. Only once you are sure your track width is around 200mm can you be sure the track width isn't affecting the arm movement.

Quote:
i also noticed that the front arm (the drs arm) is higher than the rear-arm... it makes it hard to mesure downstops because i can't rely on the rear-arm being equil to the driveshaft... (do you understand?
How are you measuring the droop? I place the hudy blocks under the chassis and use the droop measuring block under the rear most pivot ball - you don't need to measure the front one.

Quote:
I just cant emegin you guys don't have any problems assembling the read of the car
As new toast has mentioned, the only tricky point is placing the DRS spacers on the screw - everything else should be straight forward.

Just check through everything carefully - maybe you've made a small mistake in the assembly. But if the suggestions we've made here don't help - post some detailed photos of your rear assembly and we'll see if we can spot anything

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #21800
Tech Elite

Quote:
They are the same height, the height is different at the pivot balls, this comes from the upper arm being more to the rear, automatically lifting the front pivot ball...
I'm pretty sure this would be due to the pivot balls being screwed in too far.

I suggest you check the track width then the toe in and lastly the camber of your rear assembly. Once you have these, then see if your situation improves.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #21801
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Toasted
Ehrm, not really, give me one more year Right now I'm trying to replace my el' cheapo Hitec Lynx non-computer with a 3PK, I just need to find the money somewhere
Has Fredrik got one? If he has, just polish up on your Jedi Mind Tricks
Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #21802
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid
May not be an electric car but.... if there is 1/10GP from Xray, Serpent SB960 might be a good name for their buggy
*faint* *thud* Well after the Serpent Truck Body - I'll believe anything now
Old 07-07-2005, 11:04 AM   #21803
Tech Regular

Quote:
If you have the pivot balls screwed in too far, the arm's movement will be restricted - this is why you need to check your track width at this point. Only once you are sure your track width is around 200mm can you be sure the track width isn't affecting the arm movement.
Ah, you mean like that, no, those are moving freely...

Quote:
How are you measuring the droop? I place the hudy blocks under the chassis and use the droop measuring block under the rear most pivot ball - you don't need to measure the front one.
I know, but the left side of the car... the front and read pivot ball differ in droop, the right side of the car is fine... so when i only measure the read pivot balls, the droop won't be correct because the point where the wheel is attacht is in the middle of the read and front pivot ball, the front pivot ball being higher, meaning the point where the wheel attaches will be higher....

Quote:
As new toast has mentioned, the only tricky point is placing the DRS spacers on the screw - everything else should be straight forward.

Just check through everything carefully - maybe you've made a small mistake in the assembly. But if the suggestions we've made here don't help - post some detailed photos of your rear assembly and we'll see if we can spot anything

Cheers, Mark.
i'll try again... this weekend is dutch 1:10 champion race, i'll ask some of the pro's to check out the car... i don't think pictures will help alot

thx for all the advice though
Old 07-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #21804
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

Quote:
Has Fredrik got one? If he has, just polish up on your Jedi Mind Tricks
Yep, he has, I'm meeting him on monday to pick it up. Good idea about the mind tricks, I'll keep that in mind
New_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #21805
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ah, you mean like that, no, those are moving freely...
Even with the pivots screwed in too far, the arms will move ok, but won't move as far, i.e. for a droop of +7mm the arms may not drop down far enough for the droop screw to reach the chassis.

Quote:
I know, but the left side of the car... the front and read pivot ball differ in droop, the right side of the car is fine... so when i only measure the read pivot balls, the droop won't be correct because the point where the wheel is attacht is in the middle of the read and front pivot ball, the front pivot ball being higher, meaning the point where the wheel attaches will be higher....
You mean the rear up right (802330) is angled front-to-rear when viewed from the side? Have you got the roll-centre inserts at the same way up front and rear? And are they the same way around as on the right-hand side of the car?
That's a strange problem!!

Quote:
i'll try again... this weekend is dutch 1:10 champion race, i'll ask some of the pro's to check out the car... i don't think pictures will help alot

thx for all the advice though
Ok, let us know how it turns out
Old 07-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #21806
Tech Regular

Quote:
Even with the pivots screwed in too far, the arms will move ok, but won't move as far, i.e. for a droop of +7mm the arms may not drop down far enough for the droop screw to reach the chassis.
I understand that That's not the problem, for sure! The 'not so free movement' was there when the pivot's wheren't even installed

Quote:
You mean the rear up right (802330) is angled front-to-rear when viewed from the side? Have you got the roll-centre inserts at the same way up front and rear? And are they the same way around as on the right-hand side of the car?
That's a strange problem!!
roll-centre inserts are equal, geh, it doesn't fit if you put them in wrong
the rear up right is idd angeld to the read, the top pivot is more to the rear then i should...
i've been trying stuff, and when i losen 802311 the arm moves freely (well, more freely, not realy how you want it to go, there is a small hick-up when the arm is elevated to the top). When i tighten 802311 (with the screws going into 802310 the movement is restricted somehow...

The arms are oke now, i can race with it, but it definitly isn't a good sign....

btw http://www.mytsn.com/products/dnlfil...deSAMPLE%2Epdf
for the reference guide, since you'll need it will all those numbers

I hear that the arm movement has always been a problem, and the 705 was a pain in the ass to get working correctly.. why is this so hard to do correct for serpent?
Old 07-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #21807
Tech Regular

Default new shocks on 960?

Pst, new shocks.... http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=11216
Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #21808
Tech Elite

Quote:
i've been trying stuff, and when i losen 802311 the arm moves freely (well, more freely, not realy how you want it to go, there is a small hick-up when the arm is elevated to the top). When i tighten 802311 (with the screws going into 802310 the movement is restricted somehow...
Sounds like you've got something twisted somewhere - I would take the whole assembly apart if I were you and carefully check for any broken parts.

If you have the full car assembled and the rear up-right is angled, there is something seriously wrong.

The 710 goes together very easily, so it is all the more confusing that you've got such a strange problem there.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #21809
Tech Elite

Quote:
Swwwwwwwwoooooooooooooosssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh!!! !!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #21810
Tech Regular

Quote:
Sounds like you've got something twisted somewhere - I would take the whole assembly apart if I were you and carefully check for any broken parts.

If you have the full car assembled and the rear up-right is angled, there is something seriously wrong.

The 710 goes together very easily, so it is all the more confusing that you've got such a strange problem there.

Cheers, Mark.

well yes, but the rear part of the car is extremely complex compared to other cars.... i'll ask people at the dutch nationals to look at it... since rene cornelle drives there i don't think i won't find anybody who can't fix it

Quote:
Swwwwwwwwoooooooooooooosssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhh!!! !!!!!!!
uhuh! :P
wonder when they will release those.. rickV and some other dutch guys are already racing with them for quite a while now...