Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You can get it at any hardware store Home depot, Lowes or any paint supply.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its sometime called painters and varnish makers NAPTHA. Its right next to the denatured alcohol and acetone.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by assman
When changing the weight of diff oils, do you clean the case and gears? If so, what are you using for this??
Fastest and cleanest way I found is to use an air gun. I use shop cloth to cover the open end to catch the spray, stick the gun into it and shoot the oil out. Simple and fast.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Dal
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by assman
When changing the weight of diff oils, do you clean the case and gears? If so, what are you using for this??
I just use unleaded petrol, seems to dissolve the silicon fine, just put all the metal bits in a small bottle, lid on, and shake , its easy, then leave to dry on a rag.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by adz06
Ok guys need some help regarding set-up, basically i have been racing almost 2 years no set-up basics etc but have never nought a set-up station and don't change my set-up for wet dry days or for different tracks as i wouldn't no what to change to be fair.

At the minute im using

573 diffs 45f 45r shocks and everything else is standard as by stock set-up sheet. (except droop)

Anyway im racing in a national race this weekend and was told to set the car up for dry weather i have raced on the track before but it has changed a bit since then and that was with my mbx5r.

Track usually run on (dirt type)

Track im running on this weekend (astro turf)

Anyone got any advice, currently just about to by set-up station and been looking through guides etc.
Thanks
Adam
Adam havent run the X6 on astro yet but i would imagine similar to the 5R on astro in that you want to reduce droop, lower ride height, try the diffs but maybe thicker diff oils, shocks sound ok as you are quite heavy already, maybe thicker roll bars as well, upper hole in rear hub (a arm), if it rains the opposite soften everything off
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slow coach
Adam havent run the X6 on astro yet but i would imagine similar to the 5R on astro in that you want to reduce droop, lower ride height, try the diffs but maybe thicker diff oils, shocks sound ok as you are quite heavy already, maybe thicker roll bars as well, upper hole in rear hub (a arm), if it rains the opposite soften everything off
Ok well used crime fighters and went for same setup as use don my 5r only thing i would change the next day is lower shock oils 30-25 weight, overall my car handled perfect was outsteering and gripping most other cars, had a very good practice and not a bad qualifing but missed the A final by 1 second (qualified 9th only 8 went staright in) due to a stupid mistake.
So ended up first in B final got away good and got a lap up on 2nd place then after i refuled coming out of pitlane car flamed out, re started went out in 3rd place got back up to 1st next fuel stop same thing happened fell to 3rd again ended up 20 seconds behind first place and finished same lap.
I was robbed also due to the fact my first lap wasnt counted 92 sec when every1 else got 41's and i was first

ended up 11th bit disappointed 1st-Michael Todd, 2nd Barkley Abernethy, 3rd Alan Bickerstaff

Need to get my engine problem sorted as happened last raceday also and put in a fresh plug and happened again, also another guy who was leading the A final also using the WS9 flamed out after his fuel stops.

Currently using Rb 6 turbo plugs will try the no.5 plugs this week.

Over all the car handled excepetionally have yet to break a single part and wear rate seems very low.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mOOgo_davo
Question for you guru's....

My MBX6 is brand new. When I have the tank full it runs great. After it drops like 1/4" inch of fuel from being full it starts pumping air into the fuel line that goes to the engine. I tried installing another new set of fuel line. I even put some S3 o-rings to try an see if it was an air leak.

I then pulled the tank. Filled a sink full of water, blocked off the fuel line and blew into the tank checking for a cracked tank. Nope...

What would make it run great at a full tank, then 2 minutes later start pumping air into the fuel line? Maybe the pick up tube in the tank that the internal stone filter hooks up to??? It's driving me batty and am very frustrated. Maybe a bad tank from the factory????

Let me know what you think...

David
I feel your pain... I have a 6 with a 21 plus 4 nova in it and i think this problem has cost me a motor. Too many lean out conditions while running it in. (Bubbles in the fuel line) I have another motor on the way but not game to put it in till i get to the bottom of the issue. I did try a new tank but was hard to tell if that fixed the problem. The tune was so far out by the time i got it running again i cant conclude weather it was a tank or a tune issue. I tried a different filter, and a few other things. The motor runs ok now but i cant put a temp on it much past 90 degrees C or it flames out for seemingly no apparent reason.. Not sure weather this is because it is stuffed from the lean outs or an underlying issue i.e tank issue.. I can get it to run a full tank through now only if it runs rich as a pig. I cant complain too much the car itself is fantastic i just wish i could spend more time chasing setup rather than flames out. I have a mate who runs an mrx4 onraod car and he had a similar problem with a tank after taking a hard hit. changed the tank problem went away.. cant physically see anything wrong with it.. My strongest suspiscion is a possible micro crack in the tube/pickup inside the tank. (seem odd that it flames out at the same tank level.) Hopefully if we all get our heads together we can work it out... It runs now but occasionally flames out after a pit stop very wierd.. Drives out of pit lane then when i open up the throttle it flames out
Keep me posted on how you go..
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

I had the same problem this weekend again, and so did another guy and we're also beginning to suspect that there's something wrong with the fuel set up on the X6 I removed the fuel filter and it was better but after my second pit stop the car just started stalling on it's own for no apparent reason...
Also, sometimes the engine stalls instantly when i roll over.
i'm changing the tank and this week end i'm gona see if there's a difference.
I noticed some stess lines (bright white) on the front side of the tank near the exhaust mount my idea is that the tank expands when the heat builds and little fractures that don't appear when the tank is tested at room temperature become troublesome air leaks at operating temps.
It's dissapointing because the car was working really well.

Last edited by gameholic2; 05-25-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

This is how i clean my diffs every so often, cleans them totally and safe! disassemble your diffs entirely, grab your diff internals and install them in a standard tea infuser (in picture below) spray them with brake cleaner (about 8.99 a can at any auto parts store) or dip them in Naphtha, something to break the old diff oil down, keep inside tea strainer, hit with compressed air, clean diff cup abd conical with brake cleaner, hit with compressed air as well, (remove all o-rings and gaskets prior to) then reassemble and ensure to lube your outdrives with belray grease and apply such grease to your O-rings as well...diffs will be butter smooth once complete.

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Standard-...d_bxgy_k_img_c

Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gameholic2
I had the same problem this weekend again, and so did another guy and we're also beginning to suspect that there's something wrong with the fuel set up on the X6 I removed the fuel filter and it was better but after my second pit stop the car just started stalling on it's own for no apparent reason...
Also, sometimes the engine stalls instantly when i roll over.
i'm changing the tank and this week end i'm gona see if there's a difference.
I noticed some stess lines (bright white) on the front side of the tank near the exhaust mount my idea is that the tank expands when the heat builds and little fractures that don't appear when the tank is tested at room temperature become troublesome air leaks at operating temps.
It's dissapointing because the car was working really well.
Most MBX6's have the same marks, including mine, and everything runs just fine.

Sounds like tuning issues..
Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Thats a good idea Jesse!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Thuren! I might be heading out to the track today, i will give you a ring if i do so we can rip it up.

+1 on possible tuning issues.

Dont freak out thinking its your gas tank, this isnt a Kyosho lol I had flame issues last year, kept on trying to chase down the probable cause, sure nuff it was a tiny leak on my carb, wouldnt notice it till the engine gets hot, leans out, then flames.

check for any obvious leaks, check your tune...90% of the time, its these problems....Mugen Tanks last forever...i usually change them out after 9 to 10 gallons or so, probably no need to, but why not i guess.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by thuren
Most MBX6's have the same marks, including mine, and everything runs just fine.

Sounds like tuning issues..
I could understand why you could think it would be a tuning issue.. But it seems weird when i can get a tune on all the newbies motors, and put a perfectly tuned motor into my car (grp from my losi into mbx6)
then run into issues as well. Not saying it could be an issue across all x6's but there are enough of us out there having issues to have a good look at the tank as a possibility. Huge amount of air bubbles in the fuel line are a fair indication air is getting in somwhere between the tank and the fuel filter. i suspect the tank.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was having the same problems for a good while. i thought it was my carb, fuel filter, glow plug or fuel. One time is was the plug though. I have a new vspec the would stall out for no reason, and flame out. I would go crazy with the tunning. Not until i settled down and was very patient ( i am not patient AT ALL) did i get the tune right and resolved the issues. Sometime it would take my a hour or two, Its very frustrating when you can't see a problem. But alot of the time your car just isn't getting enough gas, so i would have to start out pretty rich and let it warm up then cut the fat. I am a newbie and some of you maybe pros. but this is my .02 cents.

Fuel tank is fine imo.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spring rate question

On Mugen springs is 75/9.5 stiffer on softer then a 75/9.75? Just trying to understand the second number rating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.