Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Mugen MBX6

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Jeezes guys you are twisting this around and making it more complicated than it needs to be.

When you want to have the front wheels turning faster than the rear, you "under drive" the rear end on the Mugen: You use the 42/12 (ratio 3.50) at the rear end and 44/13 (ratio 3.38) on the front (most other manufactures will call this front over drive).

There are very few cases when you would want the front wheels spin slower than the rear!

When you use the same ratio in both the diffs, being 44/13 (EU) or 42/12 (US), then it is a different story and does not have anything to do with "overdrive or "underdrive". The final gear ratio is similar in both cased, due to the spur-gear and clutch bell used, but gives a different feel power-wise (as explained in one if the resent posts).
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bullit S
guys please concentrate im seeing 2 different opinions here...
44/13 gives more top end/speed
42/12 gives more bottom/torque

then why you use more torque on rear wheels than the front?

44/13 makes the wheel spin faster , that means that have more torque, correct?
and 42/12 makes the wheels spin slower - more speed..

Which one is correct??
Concentrate on this:

There is two applications for changing the gear ratio.
1. If you change both diffs from 44/13 to 42/12, or from 42/12 to 44/13, all you are doing is changing the overall ratio of the car, in the same way changing the pinion/spur combination would do. 42/12 giving more torque/acceleration and less top speed.
2. If you change to 44/13 front and 42/12 rear, you are overdriving the front compared to the rear. Creating a handling change that has the front pulling the car more than the rear is pushing the car. This adjustment is not about torque vs. top speed, it's about handling.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

ROFLOL.

I'm having a lot of fun watching you all arguing.

Anyway let me give you some insight into why the MBX6R-EU uses 42/12 for the internal ratio.

First things first, this is something that's been on the EU team cars since july/august, so nothing new.

The idea is to have the centre diff spinning faster, without changing the overall ratio much. Remember that back then the box ratio was 11.97 (44/13 x 46/13). The team started to use the new ratio with the 44T spur, which gives an overall ratio of 11.85, so the cars are geared a bit longer but not much.

In the end, the faster spinning centre driveline smoothes the acceleration (more inertia), the longer ratio lowers the torque at the wheels and the faster spinning centre diff also is more effective, meaning you can use lighter oil in the centre without losing drive.

The result is a car that puts the power down much better while keeping the overall ratio, and is much easier to drive. Given that EU tracks don't have much grip, it was decided to stick with the new ratio for the MBX6R-EU.

Just my 0.02€
Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Does anyone here run the CSI pistons? Im tempted on trying them out but if they dont make that HUGe of a diffrence should i just save my $60 bucks?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ng-Set-12-MBX6

Also with all the time I have been running Mugen im considering trying to lighten the drive train for the fisrt time with the cups and joints like the U.S. spec includes. Does this increase the drive train speed and make it more snappy and less slugish?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Aside from allowing an 11.85 instead of an 11.97 there is really no reason to change from the stock ratios (44/13). It is a pretty small difference.

What would be worthwhile, would be to completely change the gearing by using the gears from the truggy (46/10) so that you'd arrive at the same final ratio with a much larger pinion/clutch bell. That makes the difference one tooth on the bell provides small enough to make it a realistic tuning option, not to mention allowing clutch bells to be stronger.

Xray and AE use this to great effect.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809
Does anyone here run the CSI pistons? Im tempted on trying them out but if they dont make that HUGe of a diffrence should i just save my $60 bucks?

Also with all the time I have been running Mugen im considering trying to lighten the drive train for the fisrt time with the cups and joints like the U.S. spec includes. Does this increase the drive train speed and make it more snappy and less slugish?
Save your $
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
In order to make quicker diff changes I turned the hinge pins around so that the nuts face out. Then all you have to do is remove the nuts, outer mount, and outer diff case half, along with loosening the sway bar mounts on the arms. I did this front and rear.
I cut down a 2mm hex key to hold the end of the pins while removing the nuts.
Cuts diff change time in half, or more.
Hope this helps.
Yep, that's how I have been doing it for years. Only on the front, as the rear is easy to get to.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroXray80809

Save your money.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KThatcher
Save your $
yup. buy tires. that will make you faster
Old 06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
In order to make quicker diff changes I turned the hinge pins around so that the nuts face out. Then all you have to do is remove the nuts, outer mount, and outer diff case half, along with loosening the sway bar mounts on the arms. I did this front and rear.
Hope this helps.
Yep, that's how I have been doing it for years. Only on the front, as the rear is easy to get to.

i was doing that, and then for some reason, one of the front pins started working the nut loose. not once, but twice. cost me 2 different A mains on 2 different nights. if you have a decent powered screwdriver, it's not that much more effort or time to do it stock, pull the front end off and get to that shit.

besides, RARELY do i ever need to get to that at the track for a diff oil change. not even during nitro challenge. i service that before the event, and won't have to mess with it until after...weeks after.

just my .02
Old 06-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Anyway let me give you some insight into why the MBX6R-EU uses 42/12 for the internal ratio.

First things first, this is something that's been on the EU team cars since july/august, so nothing new.

The idea is to have the centre diff spinning faster, without changing the overall ratio much. Remember that back then the box ratio was 11.97 (44/13 x 46/13). The team started to use the new ratio with the 44T spur, which gives an overall ratio of 11.85, so the cars are geared a bit longer but not much.

In the end, the faster spinning centre driveline smoothes the acceleration (more inertia), the longer ratio lowers the torque at the wheels and the faster spinning centre diff also is more effective, meaning you can use lighter oil in the centre without losing drive.

The result is a car that puts the power down much better while keeping the overall ratio, and is much easier to drive. Given that EU tracks don't have much grip, it was decided to stick with the new ratio for the MBX6R-EU.
That's a very good explanation on the reason going to the 42/12 ratio on the EU
Old 06-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

My 6r ready to race next weekend.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigNasty
Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
Hope this helps.

i was doing that, and then for some reason, one of the front pins started working the nut loose. not once, but twice. cost me 2 different A mains on 2 different nights. if you have a decent powered screwdriver, it's not that much more effort or time to do it stock, pull the front end off and get to that shit.

besides, RARELY do i ever need to get to that at the track for a diff oil change. not even during nitro challenge. i service that before the event, and won't have to mess with it until after...weeks after.

just my .02
It's nice on a testing day to be able to change the diff out in a couple minutes. I keep a few diffs with different fluid in them just for testing.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

We are awaiting another shipment of the Fioroni ergal pistons.
I swear by them, you can watch a car running them and visibly tell the difference, and in a good way. We have been selling every shipment out as soon as it hits, I finally snatched a set for my own buggy
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sprinkler
Do yourself a favor and buy the CSI blue pistons. 50/42.5 oil 7.75/8.75 springs
They seem to be great for my needs but couldn't find anywhere. They are out of stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.