Like Tree486Likes

1/12 forum

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IBxAnders
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

1/12th Scale Pan Car Kits:

Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

Associated 12R6
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_.../Factory_Team/ Jul 2017 release
DISCUSSION THREAD - Team Associated 12R6

Print Wikipost

Old 09-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Jimmyd
Hi Mike D,
Sounds good. How does the roll centre settings affect the handling? Is there an online shop thats carries them?
Jimmyd - The IRS adjustable caster blocks for 1/12th scale have 4 mounting locations for the upper arm/caster block pin to adjust roll center. Modifying the roll center will change how fast the front transfers weight side-to-side when entering a corner. It allows you to tune how aggressive the car reacts on turn entry and to tune the steering response through the center of the corner. The adjustable reactive caster rake helps tune the steering response from mid-turn to turn exit. This is accomplished by keeping the same initial caster for turn entry and adjusting how much the caster reduces as the suspension compresses.

I don't buy much stuff online but I'm sure http://www.speedtechrc.com will carry them if you ask. There is also http://www.teamirsrc.com .
Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Brolzy
Thanks for the info everyone...I've never like a ton of downforce in my cars, so I'll have to ponder what I choose. My former favorite body was the PSE Mazda back in the day, and but have been running the same P35 for a long time now.

Can't we all just run TOJ's again?
Brolzy - I agree with you - added downforce is not always the way to go. It's very difficult to increase downforce without increasing drag. Lap time drop-off in an 8 minute run tells the story on drag and inefficiency. 1/12th scale stock cars on carpet already have too much traction. I've run the Protoform Speed 8 at Cleveland the last 2 years and also used it at the Onroad Nationals(asphalt) this year. Modified 12th scale is another thing... but stock 12th scale is all about keeping the car free and quick.

BTW - It's been ages since I raced with you at RCO. You going to Cleveland this year?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey Mike! It's been too long since I've raced RCO, too. I live in southern Ill. now, and don't bet back to PA much. I wish I was going to Cleveland, but got family stuff now, plus I only race a few times a year now. I wish I could race more!!

I'm glad to hear someone runs the protoform...and doens't like tons of downforce like I do. I usually have always had to compensate for my lack of batteries and motor with low donwforce/drag and hussle the car around the corner instead of having it stick on rails. It's more fun to drive like that, anyway!

I think I'm leaning towards the proto Speed8, and getting a closeout TOJ or PSE Mazda from Sheldon's to mess around with since they're so cheap (like $6). Some people just love getting beat by old school technology! LOL
Old 09-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tire Squeal

I was at the track running for the first time on TRC tires, I just switched from Jaco. I could swear I heard squealing coming from my car as I cornered. The car was pretty quick, lots of steering, but handling quite neutrally. Its an L3, with a relatively soft setup on it. HAs anyone else experienced this squeal? Ive gotten it from rubbers on a TC, but never from foam tires.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

I get the squeal sometimes when running foams on my tc3. But never on my carpet knife, and I've run both Jaco and TRC foams. I used to get it on my tc3 with rubbers a lot and its a result of taking the corner too fast. When you hear it I'm pretty sure your just scrubbing off speed, so just try going into the corner slower, and it should help you. You could try stiffening your set up because you might be getting too much traction, so your car it just too stuck.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:07 PM
tps
Tech Initiate

Perhaps it's the diff that's slipping? That sure makes a squeeky ugly noise.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have never heard foam tires squeal. It is most likely something rubbing that shouldnt be. TRC tires are wider than JACO's and are not offset more, thus there is more width on the inside. So the wheel might possibly be rubbing. Also TRC tires require longer screws than JACO tires, so it might be the screw is rubbing on the bulkhead or something. The diff could also be loose. it could be a number of things. Also check the front, since they require different bearings the new bearings might also be doing something they shouldnt.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

stormperson i didnt this year because of economic situations but i will be doing the snowbirds and the carpet nats for sure i gonna do my best to attend cleveland next year because with my new job i'll be able to do it for sure!

xraycer its just this is the first chassis i have been happy with in a while. some cars just work good, each driver has a different style and certain cars match them i found my match!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

foams dont squeel!!!!!!
its probably a mechanical noise!
by the way foams dont squeel. your right stormer!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

speedxl- I figure I have to be right once in a blue moon lol.

MikeD- Are you also running non-AE lower arms? I know that some other 12th scale companies make their own, since the AE ones are extremely inconsistant. And if so will IRS be making them as well?

And on the IRS 12th scale diff, does anyone know what size the screw is on the left side clamping hub? Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Its not my diff, I know that for sure, its very tight. There is no rubbing in the rear end, I checked that. The front end is ok, the bearings are all nice and free, and there is nothing rubbing.

My current theory is that its a combination of the full height tires and soft suspension. I suspect that foams COULD squeal, since they are mostly rubber, right?
Old 09-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

foams dont squeek!
foams dont squeek
write this 20,000 time you might get it.
right storm!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

RC Paperboy, how tight is the motion in your diff, I mean, how easy does one wheel spin one way, and the other the other way when there's no load on the rear tires? If that's a little tight, there's your squeeking probably.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Your diff should not be tight. You want it as loose as possible without it slipping (or else it can really make your handling screwy).

Other causes could be bad bearing, or improperly seated bearings (ie, not fully in the ride heigh adjuster or the adjuster isnt properly seated in the bulkhead, or the adjuster needs to be reamed out since its too tight for the bearing).

And just to make sure there is nothing wrong I would have someone else look at the car, since sometimes you dont notice small things that can be wrong.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

ditto!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service