Like Tree486Likes

1/12 forum

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IBxAnders
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

1/12th Scale Pan Car Kits:

Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

Associated 12R6
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_.../Factory_Team/ Jul 2017 release
DISCUSSION THREAD - Team Associated 12R6

Print Wikipost

Old 09-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/12 scale

I have had foams squeel on carpet but they were an odd compound that isn't made anymore. I also had a set of 12th scale tires made of the same compound and they also squeeled. There was alot more rubber in the foam than today's foam tires have. I have never heard TRC or JACO foams squeel in anyway at all.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

The diff is good, its quite smooth, very little notchiness, but its tight enough that I cant hold both tires and still turn the spur. Ill go through the car again, but I still dont beleive its the car

Its not really a big deal, the cars still fast, its just cool, thats all. If it keeps happening, Ill keep these as my magic tires
Old 09-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So it is ONLY with that specific set of tires? Have you tried other TRC's? possibly from a different batch or hobby shop order. and just wondering what compound and what tire traction do you use?

I just dont think that the tires are physically capable of spuealing so there must be something mechaincally off, how detrimental it is for the car is questionable though....
Old 09-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Well, youre right, Ive only tried one set of tires. Purple/Grey, and I use TQ8 tire dope. I really dont think its the car, I made sure I ground away a large clearance on the bottom plate, and theres no sign of rubbing anywhere.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Defently try another set of tires with the exact same set up you have now. Also i realize it might be kinda silly but try removing the tires and switching right and left sides. Also did you check all of your bearings, or anything that you changed since you installed the tires?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Those tires cant be barking at you......I have run all brands of purples and Grey on my Speedmerchant and 12L3 with TQ compound.........never a sound
Old 09-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

I didn't think that foams would squeal. But on my tc3 they would sometimes, I'll go check my diff and everything to see if its one of those things. Ohh, I have an idea, on the old carpet on my track they used duct tape to cover the seams up, it could of been the tires on the duct tape. But I think I'll still go check my car over.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Racerdx6

If you got Aluminum cvd's on the car they chirp/squeal thru the corners if they are a little bent. I only run the composite ones due to that
Old 09-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

I do have them on the rear. But I only have a very slight bit of squealing when I make the hair pin on the end of the straight. I dont know, but I hardly ever hear it so I'm not worried about it.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

proguy todays tires have more rubber content then those of 6 to 10 years ago as far as foam they are not dense enough to create a glze like a rubber tire(skin like feel) to create enough heat to make them squeel!
maybe the body or chassis is rubbing the tape being used for covering the seems.

but foam doesnot squeek especially when sauced!
FOAM DOESNT SQEEL ESPECIALLY WHEN SAUCED!
maybe i can get a neon lite up in here so they can understand foam doesnt squeel its something mechanical making the noise for sure!!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Next time I go out, Im definitely going to try a new set, and Ill rotate. I didnt change any other components, and I checked the bearings, theyre good.

It wasnt loud, it was just audible. Its not really a big deal though, the car was still fast.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

If anything it's the outside tire rubbing the body slightly when you toss the car into the corner. Big tires and a soft set-up usually leads to the kind of body roll that will allow conact of the rear tire with the top of the wheel well.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by stormperson

MikeD- Are you also running non-AE lower arms? I know that some other 12th scale companies make their own, since the AE ones are extremely inconsistant. And if so will IRS be making them as well?
stormperson - I'm running the assocaited lower arms. I have never had much of a problem with lower arm accuracy... just the molded caster blocks and upper arms. I don't think IRS will be making new lower arms.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

MikeD- Thanks for letting me know. I have not run the new style front end much myself, so thank you for clearing that up with me, lol.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

i am new to 1/12 and dont know much about 1/12 bodies or their handling characteristics. i bought a proto speed 8 with my 12L3. is this a good body? does it generate any downforce? i will be running on a decent size carpet track. i have to say i was rather dissapointed at some of the parts. one of the turn buckles for the upper suspension arms had no threads on one side and they were all galled up on the other side. fortunatly i have some extras from my full size 10L car. and whats up with the spacers that go under the lower suspension arms? they were cheesey steel washers and whats more is the hole in them was 2 or 3 sizes too big for the screws that went through them once again i had some spacer kits from my other car. other than that no other problems, but i am not finnished assembling it yet. has anyone else had these problems with a 12L3 kit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service