Like Tree486Likes

1/12 forum

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: 1/12 forum
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IBxAnders
This is a place to share knowledge related to 1/12th scale racing. It is not to be used for conversations.

1/12th Scale Pan Car Kits:

Click links to go to manufacturer product page. If any are missing please add them!

Associated 12R6
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_.../Factory_Team/ Jul 2017 release
DISCUSSION THREAD - Team Associated 12R6

Print Wikipost

Old 10-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by corallyman
Hey Mike D,

Which side of the rings is the recommended side to put up against the diff balls? Is it the flat side like normal.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,

It is best to run the face with the rounded edges against the hub and axle flange. The face with the sharper edge should be towards the diff ball. This will make the diff (sometimes) easier to build and say more consistent from run to run.

Mike
Old 10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike D
Steve,

It is best to run the face with the rounded edges against the hub and axle flange. The face with the sharper edge should be towards the diff ball. This will make the diff (sometimes) easier to build and say more consistent from run to run.

Mike
MIke-coming to the HC this year? Its only a few weeks away!!

Ray
Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rayhuang
MIke-coming to the HC this year? Its only a few weeks away!!

Ray
Ray - Unfortunatly I won't be able to make it this year... I should see you at the Indoor Champs though.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 247 (100%+)

OK 19-turn racers...

We've added a 19-turn class this year to get the faster guys out of Stock. Our layouts are typically about 48' by 100', moderately technical with, usually, one full-length straight.

Our choices are what was allowed at the IIC...Komodo Dragon, Checkpoint Money, Orion (non-V2), and Reedy Spec-19.

Recommenations? Anybody know what won the IIC in 1/12 19? I know Weylin Rose kicked some rear in 19 Foam Sedan and is a EA Motorsports "factory" driver, so looking at the EA products page I'm guessing that means a KD...

Scottrik
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scottrik
OK 19-turn racers...

We've added a 19-turn class this year to get the faster guys out of Stock. Our layouts are typically about 48' by 100', moderately technical with, usually, one full-length straight.

Our choices are what was allowed at the IIC...Komodo Dragon, Checkpoint Money, Orion (non-V2), and Reedy Spec-19.

Recommenations? Anybody know what won the IIC in 1/12 19? I know Weylin Rose kicked some rear in 19 Foam Sedan and is a EA Motorsports "factory" driver, so looking at the EA products page I'm guessing that means a KD...

Scottrik
KD's are my favorite 19t motor, but I havent tried a Money motor. Jim Herrmann's KD in 19 foam looked like a mod on the straight and Mo Dentons KD was no slouch either.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We pretty much run only 19t 12th scale, and the KD's are my motor of choice. That being said, the Checkpoint and the Orion motors are right up there... with proper rollout respectively.

Originally Posted by Scottrik
OK 19-turn racers...

Scottrik
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone sell an old school Associated front end that has been milled down to run smaller tires. I know that lots of racers just cut the steering block down, shorten the kingpin and cut away material at the top of the bock to keep the rim from hitting. It's not that much work, but I'm just not all that fond of cutting away this much material and weakening the part. I'd like to buy a few sets that are milled off the bottom of the suspension block itself. Anyone know where I can find a few sets or am I gonna have to take the time to make them myself?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Our local track has run 19 Turn 1/12 scale last year and we have started again this year.

I agree that the Komodo is very good, the Checkpoint money (with the right gear is also good) You should also include the Corally Black Spec 19 and the Atlas based motors.

The key to all of these is the gearing. Some have a very small sweet spot, some like the Komodo have a wide sweet spot.

As to the speed. On our track, 19 turn is only 2-4 laps under modified and 6-8 laps faster than stock. This is based on the layout.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Go with the KD, I tried a checkpoint the past couple weeks and although its close the KD is faster.

Mark
Old 10-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
Does anyone sell an old school Associated front end that has been milled down to run smaller tires. I know that lots of racers just cut the steering block down, shorten the kingpin and cut away material at the top of the bock to keep the rim from hitting. It's not that much work, but I'm just not all that fond of cutting away this much material and weakening the part. I'd like to buy a few sets that are milled off the bottom of the suspension block itself. Anyone know where I can find a few sets or am I gonna have to take the time to make them myself?

Thanks.
Shaving the top of the old skool arms is not going to weaken them too much. Matter of fact, the place I have only hat them break is the bottom kingpin to the base of the arm part. People shave the steering blocks because then you only have to be accurate once, the steering blocks rarely if ever break.

If you find the old skool blocks modded anywhere, post a link. I'd buy them just because they would have to be more accurate than the ones that are spat out of AE's mold.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 247 (100%+)

OK--thanks for the input guys. KD it is.

Wonder how fast Eric can get one out to me...

Scottrik
Old 10-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Arrow ft end

someone needs to post a pic of it done to give those who want to know a better idea...is it a must ? I have a new rev4.5 on the way and from the looks of things I guess i need to do it...or is geared more for Mod than stock?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

There is a guy here in Michigan who does the lower arms and the steering knuckles for me. We're trying to convince him to just buy a bunch and sell them. He may actually just mass produce the jig he uses and sell that so folks can just do it themselves.

-Rich

Originally Posted by timmay70
If you find the old skool blocks modded anywhere, post a link. I'd buy them just because they would have to be more accurate than the ones that are spat out of AE's mold.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

its really only needed whe you run the tires reeeally small.... not sure its a necessity for club racing.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Turbonium
its really only needed whe you run the tires reeeally small.... not sure its a necessity for club racing.
It's pretty necessary when I club race against Chuck Lonergan, Chris Mockerman, Walter Henderson, Chris Mazzola, Josh Cyrul, Rich Chang, etc. Throw in an occasional Eli, Andy Who and Ron Ferguson and that's a fast crowd. I like to run my front tires between 1.8" and 1.7" with 4.0mm front ride height.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service