Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik

I'm also not sure why a low height heat sink would be of value. Most concern for packaging seems to be footprint on TC chassis based classes, height I've only run into problems on 1/12 cars.
Well for once we agree on something...

NOVAK, its not the height of your current ESC line-up thats the problem, its the footprint, they take up too much space on most TC chassis. I mean they could be 3 inches tall for all i care, as long as they didnt take up as much of my already cramped floor-plan. Just saying a low profile heatsink will not rectify the size issue.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well, I did buy a T3'11 to start jump start racing again after 2 1/2 years of being out of it. The reason I bought one is, well, I'm an Xray fan, and I don't want to stay in VTA forever. Honestly, it looks alittle boring these days with no introduction of new bodies after 2 years, but I stilll have VTA tires/bodies so it's a good starting place. I do like to buy equipment that will allow me to move on to a faster class without buying new stuff. After spending money on a speedo and then have to buy another really gets my goat. That is why I don't agree with the speedo rule. My gosh, you tell me people can't see any difference. Besides didn't ROAR approve their 212 software? Who is going to change out LED lights on their Tekin to make it look like it's in spec mode? How about a rule that says if these people are faster than say non-program speedo they are subject to gear reduction? That makes more sense, but then the fixed gear radio does as well. Sorry but it just appears the class has been changed to appeal to a few gear heads that can't move on to a faster class. I race once a month for fun, so I guess I don't get it. lol

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
I got guys buying xray 2011s to run in trans am because they think they need the edge of that car at the club level. and want to run RS PRO tekins so they have that advantage I didn't say it was me that was worried about that in TA.
My beat the crap 006 and a GTB can beat most anybody in TA at my club track. and you can ask Blackstock how beat to crap it is as he was who I almost hit when I flipped it off the track at the end of the straight at snowbirds 2 years ago!

someone actually asked me if they need a black diamond set to profile 1 (no timing) to compete in VTA. yes I know not the national rules but my track is about letting people race what they can within the spirit of the rules with existing equipment. I told them they were crazy get a havok and a 25.5 and just run leave the high cost toys for TC class.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I don't know why i'm going to explain this again, but I will. The older rules were based on merging several ways of powering the cars during a time when one technology was being swept out by a new one. The gear ratios and everything else was a way to trying to keep everything "close".

Now we have had a chance to wipe the slate clean. 1 type of battery - 1 type of motor - 1 type of ESC. The spec escs were chosen not only because they cannot be reflashed with new firmware, but also because if the more expensive stuff was allowed, it guarantees that is what would be used. All it takes is one guy winning with brand X all the time-"well, it must be faster". Look at what Nash posted about guys running $500 cars...

Most of the listed controllers can be had for under $100, some considerably so.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Fair enought Rob, I respect what you guys are doing, but what about chassis, batteries, motor brands, tire warmers, or whatever BS people think will give them an advantage? Sounds more like a personal problem with Tekin. Why not change the open gear ratio now since the tech has settled and new rules? Is this not a basic way to keep the class simple? I would start there first. I just don't think this is a serious class in the first place, people will try to always make it, but then that's their problem. I respect you guys for what your doing, it's a hard line to draw, but fixed gearing needs to happen.

Last edited by RCknight; 11-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just want to take a moment and Thank those who started this class. This is our 3rd week and Man is it fun!!!

We started with 3 racers being interested with 3 others kinda interested. The First race the second 3 came onboard instantly. Now we are looking at a 12 Car in a week or 2. All because it's Slow. scratch that Controlled, Cheap, Drivers class, And Damn it looks Cool.

We love the Rules the way they are dammit. Now we have chosen locally to open the ESC allowances to any ESC that has a Spec Mode with LED. and only simple green for Traction Compound at the request of the 1/12 racers.

Way to Go Rob and his peoples. From Canada, You Rock!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if somebody wants to keep putting money into a class thats just as good with whatever, then knock yourself out...Im the 1st to admit, that I bought a brand new TC5R when they came out to run VTA, but only cause my last new on-road car was a TC3, when it 1st came out...12 year gap..lol...its nothing technically wrong with that, just keep them aware that it may not help you be any faster or better...it might have some better tunning options...but hey, I know some tire tricks that will make any car hook up...

just help grow the class with some basic things in mind...FUN FAIR CHEAP....

and as far as bodies go...open up "YOUR" body rules locally if need be...we run any American muscle, any era, minus the wing( or let Nash tell it, spoiler too)....it allows some of our younger racers like myself, to run a newer Saleen Mustang or Vette...just dont get crazy with it...have some limits....if it helps you locally make some ppl happy...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm currently running an old Novak GTB. What I would prefer to see in a newer GTB is.

- Smaller footprint. Finding room on a shaft-drive TC3/TC4 can be a challenge if you are using older/larger receivers.

- Detachable power switch. I also don't like having to resolder the power switch if I damage the wires.

- Optional fan and/or accessory connector.

- Did I mention smaller footprint?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my GTB is a clean look in my TC3, and I will post new pics of my TC5 Novak Havok Pro 25.5 car soon....and its just as nice...I took just as much space with it as my SPX....only the cap was a little challenge....but Im happy with the layout of the whole car
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-017.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-018.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-025.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-023.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah that's cool. I wish our track would be alittle less with bodies and esc. Now they have kept the 5.0 gear ratio, which is great. I race once a month, I don't race in the points, I don't race major events, yet I'm told I can't use my ecs. I must appear more threatening than I am. lol jj tim.....lol

Question is any time line on when the new the non-pro Tekin speedo? It may be a SP for me. Can't beat the price I guess. Anyone know the specs of it? Footprint?

Now is the '69 Camaro SS legal or not? I've been waiting for it a long time.

DARKSIDE PM me those tire tricks! lol By the way nice looking rides. I loved to work on my TC4.

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
if somebody wants to keep putting money into a class thats just as good with whatever, then knock yourself out...Im the 1st to admit, that I bought a brand new TC5R when they came out to run VTA, but only cause my last new on-road car was a TC3, when it 1st came out...12 year gap..lol...its nothing technically wrong with that, just keep them aware that it may not help you be any faster or better...it might have some better tunning options...but hey, I know some tire tricks that will make any car hook up...

just help grow the class with some basic things in mind...FUN FAIR CHEAP....

and as far as bodies go...open up "YOUR" body rules locally if need be...we run any American muscle, any era, minus the wing( or let Nash tell it, spoiler too)....it allows some of our younger racers like myself, to run a newer Saleen Mustang or Vette...just dont get crazy with it...have some limits....if it helps you locally make some ppl happy...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Has Anyone tried to Run a TL-01 for the VTA class. There is a brand new one in the back room of our LHS and we are thinking if getting it up and running for the VTA class here.

If ANyone has tried it or succeeded Please let me know what you did.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
Sounds more like a personal problem with Tekin.
Yeah, that's why the Novak Kinetic, the Speed Passion GT 2.0 & 2.1, the LRP SPX, SXX, and TC spec all all illegal too.

Sorry if you don't like the rules, but they are not changing.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
so if "I" wanted to send you guys my old GTB and 21.5...you will send me a Havok Pro and 25.5 SS or Ballastic for how much?
According to our handy-dandy Trade-In programs, your prices would be:

GTB to Havoc Pro...............59.00
SS Pro 21.5 to SS 25.5.......46.00 or
SS Pro 21.5 to Bal 25.5.......69.00

plus shipping

I have directed CS to allow replacement of Havoc Pros, GTBs (any) and SLYDRs with any of these for 59.00. We can change the page next week. Since we are coming to the end of offering these escs, we might as well allow this mix 'n match replacement.

TeamNovak ESC Trade-in program
TeamNovak BL Motor Trade-In program
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Company Representative

We will want to test the GTB 2 as configured for a more compact install anyway--just to see how well it works with the high-wind motors. Upthread, there was a complaint about the difficulty of installing our GTBs in TC chassis---which led to the discussion of offering the GTB 2 with these modifications.

The soldered-in switch suggestion was offered because the switch's PCB plug is taller than the LP HS I mentioned. You can also install the GTB on its side, especially if no fan is required. If approved, we will configure the GTB 2 the way USVTA racers want it. We are also in the process of updating and Beta testing our Havoc Sport 2S esc----same specs, new case, HS and expanded (on-board) programming---just like the GTB 2.

Someone also commented about preferring to plug-in a new switch harness rather than soldering the wires. I believe an "unsung" and often unmentioned, advantage of our escs is the ability to perform needed repairs without returning the item to us for service. Input harnesses, switches, power capacitor harnesses, power wires---all replaceable without soldering to the internal PCB.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCknight
Fair enought Rob, I respect what you guys are doing, but what about chassis, batteries, motor brands, tire warmers, or whatever BS people think will give them an advantage? Sounds more like a personal problem with Tekin. Why not change the open gear ratio now since the tech has settled and new rules? Is this not a basic way to keep the class simple? I would start there first. I just don't think this is a serious class in the first place, people will try to always make it, but then that's their problem. I respect you guys for what your doing, it's a hard line to draw, but fixed gearing needs to happen.
Fixed gearing does NOT need to happen. You are right we run a 5.0 gear ratio in Omaha. We don't flaunt it around or try and draw others to do it also. It works here because of the drivers we have and the classes we run. There needs to be a clear distinction between our USGT lap times and VTA times. The FDR restriction allows that... that is really the only reason. It works for us but I have gone to the nationals and can see that it is not necessary for a national ruleset. Everyone else has conformed to the new rules many have bought a second car taken their old VTA stuff and now run USGT.

Get off the fence and pick a side. There is no USGTVTA! You can read what the classes were so pick one and run. You have been going on about cars and rules for months now.... plenty of time to get what you need and/or to see that the rules would not be bent just for you. There has been plenty of used stuff available that it would cost you very little to get what you need. We just had 50 entries last Wednesday night! So get what you need and come have some fun with us... or go buy more high end stuff and sit on here and bitch that you can't run it. I know what sounds better to me but it's up to you!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

I've got a standard Associated TC3 that I'm using for VTA. Just bought the new 25.5 Novak Havoc Pro Ballistic system to go in it.

What is the TYPICAL Spur/Pinion combo for this set up in VTA? Sure, I want to go fast, but I don't want to replace my system in a year or run it too hot. I don't think I'll ever have fast enough reflexes to beat the long-timers. But I want to be competitive.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-vtacamarotc3scott.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.