Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm going to practice in vegas with my TA body and see how long people take to notice. and no not the VTA one I got to much time in that to stuff it in my pit bags for the trip. it's the fade one that I'll run. it's pretty funny with foams on the car and the wide rear fenders. needs more tire.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
does anybody know of any TA races coming up this weekend....in our general area?....we have some time off..and I need my "FIX"...lol

You could always take a trip down to ga and run at primetime we should have enough for a vta race
Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

cool...thanks for the invite
Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default USVTA in SoCal

A couple of us in the Ventura Roadrunners club are trying to get USVTA going out here in the Los Angeles/Ventura County region.

Anyone in the area follow this thread and interested in getting together? We're running a simplified version (silver can/6-cell) right now to gauge interest and build the class on the cheap (I'm not looking for a debate on that please) but I can see transitioning to the official rules in the future if USVTA gets a foothold in the area.

We've got 7 "live" cars and at least 4 or 5 more being built right now. We have an amazing track (Freedom Park, Camarillo, CA) -- now we just need more racers!

PM me for info.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

If anyone is interested in some comparisons of speed between touring cars and Trans Am cars I just posted up our race results from yesterday. Some of our racers run multiple classes so our results from yesterday are some kind of barometer as to the relative speed of cars compared to TA.

Here's the results of our asphalt racing:

http://tinyurl.com/658r4s

Pro Modified is an open class of pretty good rivers running brushless motors usually equivalent to 6 and 7 turn motors.

Super Stock is 13.5/19turn class running 7.4 LiPo or 6 cell

GT3 is any 4WD chassis, 6 cell or 7.4 LiPo running the Tamiya silver can motor with rubber tires.

And you'll also see TA class. Out TA class was running under USVTA power plant rules.

If you review the racers look for a guy named Tom, and find his fastest times of day. He ran 3 classes. Pro Mod, TA, and Super Stock. His results would be a good comparision of speeds. Tom is an "upper end Intermidiate driver".

I just thought the info might be interesting to TA racers or those thinking about running TA.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
If anyone is interested in some comparisons of speed between touring cars and Trans Am cars I just posted up our race results from yesterday. Some of our racers run multiple classes so our results from yesterday are some kind of barometer as to the relative speed of cars compared to TA.

Here's the results of our asphalt racing:

http://tinyurl.com/658r4s

Pro Modified is an open class of pretty good rivers running brushless motors usually equivalent to 6 and 7 turn motors.

Super Stock is 13.5/19turn class running 7.4 LiPo or 6 cell

GT3 is any 4WD chassis, 6 cell or 7.4 LiPo running the Tamiya silver can motor with rubber tires.

And you'll also see TA class. Out TA class was running under USVTA power plant rules.

If you review the racers look for a guy named Tom, and find his fastest times of day. He ran 3 classes. Pro Mod, TA, and Super Stock. His results would be a good comparision of speeds. Tom is an "upper end Intermidiate driver".

I just thought the info might be interesting to TA racers or those thinking about running TA.
How about giving us an "executive summary"?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Yesterday's layout was on an aprox 120 foot by 50 foot Asphalt Track. We had a nice sized turnout. 11 racers in TA. We ran an A and B class for three qualifiers and for the main put all 11 cars in the same race.

Tom our racer's fastest laps in each of his races:

Pro Mod, 12.79 sec
Super Stock, 13.2
TA, 14.3

Overall using all good racers, the best lap times for each class:

Pro Mod: 10.9
Super Stock 11.5
GT3 12.6
Trans AM 13.1

A police officer came by and took out his Lidar gun. Most of the TA's were hitting between 24 and 25MPH at the end of the straightaway.

Also I did a little test with a TA racer that usually finishes in the middle of the pack. He ran a 4 cell with stock motor for all three qualifiers. For the main, I didn't tell anyone but I had him put a 6 cell pack in. Well it didn't help much for an intermediate driver. Here's what he did:

4 cell= 14.52 best lap time, 15.7 average lap time

6 cell= 14.0 best lap time, 15.4 lap time

How's that for a summary?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Great! In my little bit of quasi-USVTA experience I have found that it really isn't as much slower as everyone that hasn't tried it thinks. Yes, it looks slow on the straight, but you can really run a perfect line through the corners thanks to the lower speed and you make up a lot of time.

In our race yesterday (again, silver can/6-cell) I averaged 14.3 sec/lap. In mini cooper I averaged 15.4. In sportsman (13.5BL) I averaged 13.2 but had several baaad laps in there. The winner of the novice class averaged 15.6.

I had the most fun by far driving the Mustang.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yesterday's layout was on an aprox 120 foot by 50 foot Asphalt Track. We had a nice sized turnout. 11 racers in TA. We ran an A and B class for three qualifiers and for the main put all 11 cars in the same race.

Tom our racer's fastest laps in each of his races:

Pro Mod, 12.79 sec
Super Stock, 13.2
TA, 14.3

Overall using all good racers, the best lap times for each class:

Pro Mod: 10.9
Super Stock 11.5
GT3 12.6
Trans AM 13.1

A police officer came by and took out his Lidar gun. Most of the TA's were hitting between 24 and 25MPH at the end of the straightaway.

Also I did a little test with a TA racer that usually finishes in the middle of the pack. He ran a 4 cell with stock motor for all three qualifiers. For the main, I didn't tell anyone but I had him put a 6 cell pack in. Well it didn't help much for an intermediate driver. Here's what he did:

4 cell= 14.52 best lap time, 15.7 average lap time

6 cell= 14.0 best lap time, 15.4 lap time

sounds like a winner...on both sides of the coin....that really good to see..so if there was any doubt about the speeds or FDR...it should be erased..thanks alot for that info.....

http://www.toxicity.com/pdf/gear%20ratios.pdf
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

Darkside, thanks for the link to the gear chart, that was what I was looking for!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Not that it really matters much since it will never be an option but I put my vta wheels and tires and a camaro body with no spoiler on my 13.5 car just for some fun in the parking lot. First off the tires start to really get a good balloon effect going on at 3/4 full speed and it just gets worse from there. Also realized that the car is incredibly squirly at speed whether its due to the tires ballooning or the lack of downforce but it felt like driving a tc with no wing.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

I want to make up a couple of 4-cell packs to try. Will I need 4600 mah cells to go the distance in USVTA? I have a couple of 3000 mah nimh stick packs I could break up if that would do the trick.

Also, does anyone run a receiver pack or does everything run fine off of the 4.8V, even as it fades?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Bust those packs up. You should get 8 minutes from them if they have been cycled a few times. We have guys running 3300's with no probs.

You won't need a receiver pack.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would guess (on 4 cells application)...using 3300 mah you might have to gear down to make 8 minutes. Using 4600....you can probably gear to the highest FDR for the motor that you are using...especially for brushed 27T and brushless 17.5.....a little higher FDR does matter in VTA.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Solara
I would guess (on 4 cells application)...using 3300 mah you might have to gear down to make 8 minutes. Using 4600....you can probably gear to the highest FDR for the motor that you are using...especially for brushed 27T and brushless 17.5.....a little higher FDR does matter in VTA.
I have a couple of 4600 stick packs I guess I could cut up as well. I'd be willing to do that if using the 3000s would mean compromising on the FDR. I'm going to try to spread VTA to a new group of racers so I want to have a solid package. I see the USVTA rules suggest a 5.4-5.7 FDR for 27T/4-cell. What would you run more specifically on a medium-sized high grip outdoor asphalt track? More towards the 5.4 end?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.