Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cochranecustoms
Last weekend I competed in the VTA class for the 2nd time here in MN. I pulled my old TC3 out of the dust and installed a new p2k pro motor and installed 3600mah batteries. I raced about 5 years ago and always did very well. My car handled very well but will never be what they are racing here. I did notice that everyone in the A main had brushless and the best matched batteries, they also have newer lighter cars. I am looking at buying a TC5 and a new brushless system to compete what do you people reccomend. I have about 1000 to play with. thanks from a confused racer.
Here in MN they have determined that the 21.5 lipo option is too fast. So I have to get the 17.5 BL system. I did modify my motor mount so I am running a 60tooth sour and a 28 pinion with the brushed motor. The new tc5 is just much more efficient, thats why I suggested it.
Originally Posted by Parnelli
I am voting with Nick on this subject. I was at the same carpet race and my TC3 is a pig like Dinosaur up here in Minnesota. I can't drive but for those that can (Nick) to compete at the top level here you need the best equipment available. I am also considering a new belt drive chassis just for the drive line efficiency gains.

I find this funny, they changed the USVTA spec to make it more about the driver according to them, yet their racers are coming on here and saying they need the best gear to keep up.

Like MATCHED batteries, lighter chassis, am I the only one that sees the irony here?

Yea I know I sound like an ass but still find it funny.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah ... I almost wish they would have just kept it at 27T motor with a spec 4-cell pack.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah ... I almost wish they would have just kept it at 27T motor with a spec 4-cell pack.
I'm HUGE on the push for BL and LIPO in the R/C Racing world...but I agree !!

OLD Chassis, OLD "Vintage" Bodies... stay with OLD SCHOOL motor/battery combo too. DISCOURAGE Modern HiTech everything...
Guys want to use the newest/latest/greatest...let them run a 'RACING' class, not a "VINTAGE" class.

...but, I have both and can and will adapt. The STOCK deal was fun...and I burnt up the ONE motor that still had brushes in it, and I switched to 17.5... I'll run it until I pick up a NEW 21.5 for the oval car, and retire the OLD 21.5 to the VTA car. And, even though the Orion 2400's aren't ROAR APPROVED, that what will go into MY cars...cause for 35 bux you just can't beat them...

I may stick a 3200 in one, cause we're going to Orion 3400's for our oval racing in '09 and I'll have a few good 3200's get retired.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Here in MN they have determined that the 21.5 lipo option is too fast. So I have to get the 17.5 BL system. I did modify my motor mount so I am running a 60tooth sour and a 28 pinion with the brushed motor. The new tc5 is just much more efficient, thats why I suggested it.
I'm guessing they balance the cars, but don't bother to get them up to weight. This class is intentionally heavy. I'd make them put their cars on the scales and call them on it. TC3s are some of the best cars for this class.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

there is a car out there that I havent beat with my TC3...xrays,yokos,tc4,tc5,hpi,ect...all victims....lol...

IMO...for the money and parts...its the best all-round best option for this class...get the Novak Havok 21.5 system $150...and a 3600 Orion lipo and start whooping up on new technology......
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-002.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-wednesday-night-ta-001.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-music-city-championship-019.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last weekend I competed in the VTA class for the 2nd time here in MN. I pulled my old TC3 out of the dust and installed a new p2k pro motor and installed 3600mah batteries. I raced about 5 years ago and always did very well. My car handled very well but will never be what they are racing here. I did notice that everyone in the A main had brushless and the best matched batteries, they also have newer lighter cars. I am looking at buying a TC5 and a new brushless system to compete what do you people reccomend. I have about 1000 to play with. thanks from a confused racer.
Qualified forth for the A main. 27T Co27 $25, bought used Xray Fk05 as a parts car but ended running it $60, $29 Nimh from Promatch. Total cost $115 plus tires and body. Making the A-main priceless.

The p2k does not have enough top end, great for off-road truck. Keep the TC3 put in a Co27 and new batteries. Cost 60 bucks.

See you on the 4th.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Parnelli
I am voting with Nick on this subject. I was at the same carpet race and my TC3 is a pig like Dinosaur up here in Minnesota. I can't drive but for those that can (Nick) to compete at the top level here you need the best equipment available. I am also considering a new belt drive chassis just for the drive line efficiency gains.
actually a well shimmed tc3 is one of the most efficient drive trains in rc. the problem with the car was that when you apply to much power to it, it torque steered something fierce. with the vta rules you can't put too much power to it which is good. A belt is actually not near as efficient as the cog effect slows down smooth rotation.
one of the power problems is that if anybody runs high end 4cells, or lipo in21.5, the rest have to as it's like a 4cylinder vs a 6 if one cylinder is down in a 6 cylinder you only lose 1/6th your power but if you have 1 cylinder down in a 4 banger you lost 1/4 of your power.
I ran my 4600 4cell practice packs from my 12th scale which are better then running new 3300s to 4200s so if someone therotically wanted to beat me they need to out drive me, and I'm not a bad drive, or out power me. but I don't run TA at the club level anymore as for me that's just cherry picking. I have enough competition in full TC and 12th that it's fun racing for me.

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
there is a car out there that I havent beat with my TC3...xrays,yokos,tc4,tc5,hpi,ect...all victims....lol...

IMO...for the money and parts...its the best all-round best option for this class...get the Novak Havok 21.5 system $150...and a 3600 Orion lipo and start whooping up on new technology......
you haven't beat my T2 on carpet
Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The guys in Minnesota that are winning this class are winning because of driving, the chassis and batteries they are running help, but it's driving... Most of the A-main are running a newer chassis just because that is what they allready had, mostly S400 chassis because of the connection in town for parts, the top 3 or 4 guys are running good batteries, but not their best, they save those for 12th sclae, again they run those because that's what they have, not because they ent out and got the best they could for this class.
I would have to agree with Tom, put in a better stock motor, maybe some different batteries, I will borrow you some good 4200's next race if you like, a new chassis will help, but not even close to the amount you think, driving and car setup on the TC3 will do more..
I was running brushed also, need a new motor myself as mine is quite tired...
Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default TC3 owner yes, driver maybe.

Jeff I have fresh, matched 4000 Mah batteries and a new CO27 brushed motor. My drive line is worn and currently being rebuilt. I fully agree that more driving and racing experience is where I will make the most gains. That said if I was a member of the club running the events I would expect all VTA cars to be teched for compliance with the published rules. Otherwise what is the point of having any rules.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

All the people at the front of the field in the club are fully compliant with the rules, not sure what you are implying there.....
Old 12-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

You know what would sovle all this bickering Mabuchi motors and 6 cell or 7.4v lipos thats what we run at our track and everyone is having a blast. I can't remember the last time I have laughed with and laughed at my fellow drivers so much.........well maybe the last time I ran Slash I'm running a RTR TC4 with shocks upgraded to VCS2 shocks, a Lrp Qantume 3 speedo, a Airtroincs 737 for a streeing servo, with an Orion 3800 30C Lipo and an old 4 vent Johnson motor that came with my TA03 that I bought back in 1997. I thought the whole idea of the class was to slow everyone down. What looks like is happening from reading the posts' above is that the male ego is getting in the way of the spirit of the class "He beat me, it must be cause he is running a newer better car, batteries, motor, you name it than me" Come on guys lets not lose the spirit of the class just as its about to take off.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At OCS in Hawaii, we all run regular Tamiya kit motors (2-hole) and 3800 stick packs. We also have a final drive ratio limit of 7.0

Its really anyones race, no matter how much you have invested or what car you are driving. The "spirit" of competetion will always be there, but we all have a blast trading paint and dont take it too seriously.

I personally run the Corally PHI and will be running the car at the Snowbirds this January. Looking forward to some great racing action where I can relax and just have fun. 17.5 / 10.5 rubber is for stressing..........
Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
We've got it going up here at the Freedom Park track in Camarillo, and I think some of the socal guys are planning on trying it out this spring. Hopefully we can get USVTA to catch on out here...
I'm looking forward to running the VTA class in Camarillo. I can't wait to enjoy all that traction from the new track surface.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Jeff , Yes the top guys are great drivers but I also would consider you as just as good as them.Do you believe the 17.5 and 27t are equal. I personally believe that they my be equal if you are willing to burn a motor up every weekend.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

No, I do not think they are equal, I think they are very close, Tom's 27t looked just as fast as the 17.5 cars, it is definitly harder on that motor, 17.5 is the easier way to go fast....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.