Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
If its identical to a legal rim in size and shape and holds the legal tires, I dont think Doug would have a problem. But I will wait to hear from him on that, just to make sure. I like the five spoke the best anyway.
I think it's just a simple omission. It's the stock car rim that's already on the list, just chrome. It's the rear, and the matching chrome front is on the list.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Probably so.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Just a shout out from a new TA racer. I'm back in the carpet game after a two year hiatus. Bought a well used TA car on a whim but splurged and went DSM, brushless, and lipo at the same time. WOW. Talk about low maintenance! Perfect for me as I'll soon be wrenching for a 7 yr old son as well.
Two surprises, the cars are harder to drive and faster than I expected. I've never done touring (always a 12th scale guy) and thought 4wd on carpet would be a cakewalk. This is a compliment, I know I won't get bored with it anytime soon. Sometimes, 12th stock seemed a little slow to me. I thought TA would feel slow too. It doesn't. Especially when you dive into a corner with 4 other cars all with less than a car length between them. WOW.
The spectators really love that too!
I was surprised at how competive a wide variety of chassis seem to be. Granted, we have some guys with newer stuff running 4 tenths faster than the field but I'm sure half of that difference is driving skill.
Thanks to the people that put this class together.
Too much fun!
We are getting 10 cars fields on club weds nights during the summer!
I can't wait til carpet season hits full force. Maybe even a C feature?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Jason, let everyone know where you are racing at.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

I'm racing at the Hobbyplex in Omaha. Come on down!
They hosted the carpet nats this year. Top notch facility. Can't believe it in my home town! Hats off to Tim, Alex, and the rest of the Hobbytown guys!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i have got my tc3 99% done(cuda needs paint) and cant wait to see them in action, almost made the trip to omaha last night. we are trying to get the track up here to go VTA but not sure if its going to happen
Old 08-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

USVTA RTR!

http://hpiracing.com/kitinfo/100422/

Just swap out that motor and go. Actually it's a sensorless system so I guess you'd need an ESC as well. So I guess you're just getting the wheels, tires, and body. But it's close! Maybe we could lobby them for a USVTA Special Edition that would conform to the rules right out of the box.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

thats what alot of local newbies have been waiting for...Great job HPI

What do you guys think about a out of the box class?....depending on cost it would really make it easy to get ppl racing
Old 08-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I applaude the HPI brushless effort.
Has anyone tested to see how it compares on lipo to the Novak 21.5 system?
How much is the street price for the spec controler and motor from HPI? I would be willing to see this set as USVTA spec if it is a reasonable cost SYSTEM and reliable.

Marty
Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The KIT brushless motor is rated at 5700 Kv, the 21.5 I believe is rated at 1800 Kv

so the 5700 RPM on a Lipo would be about 42100 (compared to 13,300 from a 21.5 on lipo) ...both are "unloaded" rpm's. Even w/ 4 cell, the 5700 Kv should turn close to 27,300 (again unloaded)

NOTE: I believe Novak's 8.5 motor is about 5800 Kv.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Well almost. If you look at the new copy of RC Driver, Page 82 & 83. HPI is offerring the Sprint 2 with the Flux brushless system. Ready to run. I imagine this is as close as you can get to a Ready to Race VTA. It Comes with the right wheels and tires and is available with the Mustang shell, maybe some others. I dont know. The VTA logo is even posted in the ad for the car. You still need to change out the motor for the Novak 21.5, and Im sure you would have to make some gearing changes, but I think this is HPI really trying to help us out. It certainly kicks the door open for the guy who knows nothing about it, but would really like to race.

Congratulations Doug and the USVTA Team. Thank you HPI for helping promote the class.
Its a sad day when you have to quote yourself. Yeah you still need the 21.5 Novak. But still this is really close to a VTA RTR.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Its a sad day when you have to quote yourself. Yeah you still need the 21.5 Novak. But still this is really close to a VTA RTR.
Funny thing is, I remember reading that.

I guess seeing the pics made hit hit home.

It would be amazing if somehow on 4-cell and perhaps with a gearing change it could achieve parity with the other USVTA powertrain options. With the USVTA logo all over it I'm sure they gathered input from Doug and other key players, so I wouldn't put it past them to have thought of this. Hope hope!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Champion

Off the shelf that thing should really go. Its a shame that it couldnt come with the Novak 21.5 or just a 21.5 that was legal. (I know the Novak is the only legal 21.5) Im just saying it would be too cool if the car was ready to rock. But this is still pretty good. The car is just a step away from VTA legal. You could buy it and solder in the motor and voila. VTA in five minutes.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Tech Elite

Off the shelf that thing should really go. Its a shame that it couldnt come with the Novak 21.5 or just a 21.5 that was legal. (I know the Novak is the only legal 21.5) Im just saying it would be too cool if the car was ready to rock. But this is still pretty good. The car is just a step away from VTA legal. You could buy it and solder in the motor and voila. VTA in five minutes.
Well, not to rain on the parade or anything, but that's really not that special. You take any TC chassis, pop on a pre-painted 'cuda body, out-of-the-box wheels and tires, solder in the motor and voila...VTA in five minutes. All it really saves you is having to glue the tires.

The thing that would make it amazing is if it turns out that the included powertrain can be made to work within the USVTA spec. Then it would be "rip it out of the box and go".

Don't forget to put numbers on it though!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Well, not to rain on the parade or anything, but that's really not that special. You take any TC chassis, pop on a pre-painted 'cuda body, out-of-the-box wheels and tires, solder in the motor and voila...VTA in five minutes. All it really saves you is having to glue the tires.

The thing that would make it amazing is if it turns out that the included powertrain can be made to work within the USVTA spec. Then it would be "rip it out of the box and go".

Don't forget to put numbers on it though!
Oh yeah its definitely time to laugh about all that.

Yeah I know that its nothing you cant do yourself. Its just that you get a shell and wheels and a brushless system all in a package. Thats whats cool. I already have my car, but if I want to get a friend into this I can do it trouble free. Almost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.