Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Keith Sawyer
Charlotte North Carolina.....
Can you give me some info on this track, like a website?
Thanks
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scripts/default.asp

http://www.carolinasrc.com/forum/for....asp?TID=15374

http://www.carolinasrc.com/forum/for....asp?TID=15375
Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
Looks like Doug beat me to it.

Anyhow not pushing for more choices, but how do you guys think that would work out with different manufacturers and the FDR restriction. Reading some threads about these motors, some like the timing down and throw more gear at it, some like the timing up. With the FDR restriction will that give one an advantage over another? Guess I don't know.
That's part of the reason, too. All of the testing was done with the Novak 21.5, which has been in use by the BRL and oval guys for a while now. At the time, there were no other 21.5s available. The FDR was determined on the 21.5 and the Novak's powerband, compared to other cars (27t & 17.5). We know that this motor will take a lot more gear and be faster, so we're not in the perfect powerband yet. While I like Speed Passion and Tekin and the others, there is a fair chance that they would outperform the Novak at the FDR we have set, and provide too much of an advantage over not only the Novak, but the other existing motor formulas, too.

At this point, I don't want to overcomplicate things and force us to have to buy and test every 21.5 motor for performance variations that no one is regulating. Frankly, it's not necessary for this class to succeed.

And again, if you want to run your favorite brand motor in this class, run the 17.5 and 4-cells, where the motors are completely open to ROAR-approved models.

doug
Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The FDR limit on lipo/21.5 seems like a really good idea! Many 1:1 series also leavy some kind of restriction to level the playing field when they experience a performance difference between engine/chassis/manufacturer/teams/etc. Think of the ballast requirements in GT endurance racing, or the carburator restrictor plates in NASCAR.

Any which way we cut it, this gets the most people onto the track as quickly as possible, for the least amount of cash, and keeps their doors as close as possible for as much of the race length as possible. All good things in my opinion!

On a side note, that race Ray Murray put on last night shared a parking lot with a classic car show .... CROWDS upon CROWDS of people watching us play with toy cars. VTA has definitely hit a chord with the general public!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

if there is interest in growing a class in cincinnati, post to this thread and let me know, that way I can pitch it to the owners of the track.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post4831962

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
I wonder who you'd work the details out with on a name and a company that doesn't exist anymore?

What if you wanted to make an Edsel body?
Originally Posted by DFroyd
Somewhere back in the spider web encrusted corner of my mind thinks Chrysler was involved with AMC. You may have to talk to Ford about the Edsel.
AMC had pretty much collapsed down to where Jeep was their only active brand. Chrysler bought them out specifically to gain the Jeep brand, thus AMC (and any copyrights they owned) became the property of Chrysler. They are who would have to be approached if someone wanted licensing up-front.

Edsel was and always will be Ford. Unlike Jeep which, rightly or wrongly, has always had a profitable market, Edsel was a complete disaster and has since become the poster child name for a project that was doomed to failure from conception to closing. If someone was foolish enough to want to resurect the Edsel name or anything they might have copyrighted they'd speak with the good folks at dorF. I mean Ford.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

I want an Edsel body.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-1957-edsel.jpg  
Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

I'm with you--they're so "different" looking that they're cool. And several DID sell, so there was a market (albeit small) for "different looking" even then. That first year anyway. Then they made 'em more "Mercury" looking and STILL didn't sell.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Maybe Edsel will become a premier brand for Ford in years to come like Lexus to Toyota or Acura to Honda.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigemike
if there is interest in growing a class in cincinnati, post to this thread and let me know, that way I can pitch it to the owners of the track.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ml#post4831962

Thanks,

Mike

Build a VTA car and let it sit on your pit while you race other classes. That way its not just you trying to sell it to the owner of the track. The other racers will see the car and start asking around. Once the other racers have interest. You will get your class.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Build a VTA car and let it sit on your pit while you race other classes. That way its not just you trying to sell it to the owner of the track. The other racers will see the car and start asking around. Once the other racers have interest. You will get your class.
And run it in practice when everyone can see it. Even better if you can convince one or two buddies to run one in practice, too.

I have lost count how many people have told me this exact same story of how this class was successfully started at their local track.

If you build it, they will come.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Also keep in mind that every track usually has a minimum amout of racers in order to open a new class (usually 4-6)

If you can personally talk that many people into putting a vintage car together, you can get a vintage race going at your track!

Watching the cars actually race really hooks other racers into the class....
Old 09-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hey all I have an question, I know u can not sand the tires to get rid of the
treads. but what happens if they wear down from raceing the they
look like slicks??? I did fine any rules on this issue?? would like some
input on this>>
Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vicko
Hey all I have an question, I know u can not sand the tires to get rid of the
treads. but what happens if they wear down from raceing the they
look like slicks??? I did fine any rules on this issue?? would like some
input on this>>
This is pretty much an issue that handles itself. The places I have been let you run the tires as long as they started as tread tires, but there are some disadvantages to running tires when they get that old.

On carpet, by the time you have slicks, your car will usually want to start traction rolling. Not so much by the fact that they are slicks, but that they have become too soft from tire dope.

On asphalt, you take the risk of the tire ripping apart during a run. I have had it happen to me
Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

my 1st set of tires are my best....Ive seen some try and sand them down and it doesnt hook-up like "natural" wear tires....but I only run them in the main now.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.