Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wanted to share my VTA racing experience over the weekend. Raced at Ft. Wayne, IN - Summit Raceway. It is a nice indoor carpet facility.

Top 5 cars were all different chassis and all were evenly matched in speed. Even though I finished 3rd I had fun because I knew I had a chance to win if I drove a good race. I couldn't always say the same in the past with other on-road classes I've raced.

Best part of the weekend was watching racers help each other out. I think I hooked a new racer to this class by letting him borrow my extra 21.5 motor. I don't think people realize that these cars are just the right speed until they actually drive one. The b-main winner bumped up and multiple racers were offering to let b-main racers use extra batteries if they made the bump up. People were also sharing their roll-out and chassis setup which was also nice to see.

I'd like to add that I would never suggest to anyone that they should run this class. It has taken me awhile to realize that each person races for their own reasons and all any of us can do is lead by example. But I can't help to think that a large group of racers who are having fun is a good thing for our local tracks and this hobby in general.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Attention all Vintage Racers (and everybody else too)

I created a little app the other night for myself and a couple of buds, but have decided to open it up to the community at large...

To help with finding and calculating gearing I have created a cell phone friendly web page with two calculators on it...

checkout: http://cell.sixfoottiger.com

It should work in most browsers on cell phones. Let me know if you have any problems, but it should be nearly 100% compliant...

Enjoy!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stagger2
Not to sound like a jerk, but that sound like the "Slash" class that alot of tracks have adopted.

Chad O
You dont sound like a jerk. We are cool and I was talking about the slash class. Sorry I wasnt clear I was just saying what looked great about it, that was similar to VTA.

I got side tracked with the crawlwer idea sorry.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
You dont sound like a jerk. We are cool and I was talking about the slash class. Sorry I wasnt clear I was just saying what looked great about it, that was similar to VTA.

I got side tracked with the crawlwer idea sorry.
That's why said that, I thought what is he talking about the crawlers for when there is already a Slash class, doh. I got ya now..

Chad O
Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default VTA set ups

I am going to use a Team Kit TC4 for my VTA chassis - i am sure somewhere in the 85 pages so far someone has already answered this question but i will ask it again - sway bars or not for VTA we will run indoor and out with the traditional VTA rubber tires.....i run 40wt oil all the way around and silver rear and gold front springs......when i ran the chassis as a std TC i got BETTER handling without the sway bars - curious if they are needed for the slower speeds to achieve better cornering - i am also curious which front dif is preferred tradional dif, one way or solid axle?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Personally I do not run swaybars and I run a spool (solid axle) up front both outdoors on asphalt and indoors on carpet. I run an XRAY T2R chassis.

Tim S.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

+1 Same here. You might want to practice and see if you can make a quicker lap with the sway bar, but I wouldnt sweat it. You probably will run better with it off.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm running a sway bar on the rear of my TC3. I am running blue springs in the rear and I felt the sway bar helped the car rotate without too much body roll. I still have plenty of rear traction unless I run without any tire compound or brand new tires.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For the TA 05, the used one has a little tweak in the bath tub chassis.

I found the carbon version for $35, is it worth it?

Like the above poster I was wondering if VTA was fast enough to bother with sway bars.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
For the TA 05, the used one has a little tweak in the bath tub chassis.

I found the carbon version for $35, is it worth it?

Like the above poster I was wondering if VTA was fast enough to bother with sway bars.
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the carbon-reinforced tub for USVTA. Sway bars either. I don't run either on my TA05 in 13.5 Super Stock.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Reen.

Do you have a suggested starting set up for indoor high grip carpet?

Starting fresh here and trying t set up 2 cars, so I want spend as little as possible only on things I actually need.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sway bars seem to be more of a personal preference. I like them more on wide open tracks, if I run them at all. Tighter tracks usually no sway bars.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Another question, anyone shorten the wires on the Novak 21.5 brushless?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TwoTone
Another question, anyone shorten the wires on the Novak 21.5 brushless?
Yes. The wires are way too long for my use. I like a nice clean wiring. I just wish I had the motivation to shorten the sensor wires. I also often shorten servo wires too.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Always shorten wires...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.