Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
wow...now thats the way to take all the "FUN" out of r/c racing...sounds like some of you should try it before you ruin the "CLASS"..for the majority... if you are wondering why you only have about 6-10 racers....oh well...come see what we are doing and then make up your own mind...cya and the bodies look great..except yours..lol..RD
?????
Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well I love this Class and have built 5 cars for it 3 for my kids TA05 and mine TC5 and a loaner so know matter where I race at we have enough for a class.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-029.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-030.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-031.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-032.jpg  
Old 07-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have 2 that I have with me every raceday. A T-2, 21.5 car (mine) and a T-2r 27t/4 cell as a "hey!, wanna drive this?" car. The only problem I have is getting lapped by the loaner car when the good drivers have it. Oh well, maybe one day I will lap it.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ditto...I think Ive built or had built about 6-8 cars....everthing from tc3..to 4techs..this to me is by far the best r/c racing Ive done....I hope it continues to grow and do very well....

what are you guys turn-out like and how often do you race the class?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by egalsim
What next? Dish Wheels? Might as well use a Dodge Stratus body while you're at it.
actually I had been running an alfa without the wing as that's a variation for our local track that allows someone to run without the expense of getting a new body till they have the money for it. but then I proved that an alfa actually won the over all points championship back in 67 or something like that. but the still ragged on me till I got my camaro. and if I didn't paint it up like that I wouldn't know what car is mine. getting old now and I'm not as fast to pick out my car in a crowd on the straight unless it's painted up that way. we had one qualifer with 3 white with blue strips mustang talk about keeping your car straight

trust me I like the 4cell idea but it comes back to the local track trying to get people intrested in the class and allowing 6cell/lipo just so people didn't have to find 4cell packs as most here only had lipos and brushed motors. actually we have a couple guys that are running 13.5 in the class. need to figure out a gear ratio to make that work. I would rather have the person racing as opposed to sitting on the side because they can't afford a new motor. out of the 15 to 20 cars we have for a weekly race they are sitting mid pack so until they make a serious charge to the front, it's a let them run and have fun. as for 4cell I have about 20 or 30 packs from running 12th scale over the last couple years that are good but just collecting dust. I could supply the whole field with packs but it's all about having fun with what you have. for me in the class I'm running 4200s from 2 years ago just because I'm looking to KEEP it fun.

Socko we'll see... on the vta nats if you'll sponsor my gas bill I'll be there. bonne get's 29mpg so it's not so bad. and I'll be glad to run 4cell. keeps down the wear and tear on the car and motor and tyres
Old 07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
actually I had been running an alfa without the wing as that's a variation for our local track that allows someone to run without the expense of getting a new body till they have the money for it. but then I proved that an alfa actually won the over all points championship back in 67 or something like that. but the still ragged on me till I got my camaro. and if I didn't paint it up like that I wouldn't know what car is mine. getting old now and I'm not as fast to pick out my car in a crowd on the straight unless it's painted up that way. we had one qualifer with 3 white with blue strips mustang talk about keeping your car straight
You didn't even bother to put the window trim stickers on that camaro body, it basically looks like you puked some paint, and that's what came out, no care whatsoever in at least TRYING to make it look like a car from that era. Sorry, but I hate to see a class go to the dumps and become just another touring car class with different shaped bodies. At least put some Sponsor stickers from that era and number panels from that era also.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Speaking of painted HPI 68 Camaro bodies, here is my latest effort from last night. I used Testor's Model Masters 28108 GM Hugger Orange. The front was my first attempt at masking/painting very thin pin stripes. Didn't come out too bad. By the time I got to the rear, I was getting impatient so those are solid stripes. Need to ask HPI to include white hood/trunk decals. Also should ask them to include at least 2 number 8's with each decal sheet. Then we could all modify the 8 into any number between 1-10. In my case I turned the 6/9 into a 5. Last Camaro I turned the 4 number 6/9's into 2 number 13's.
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-hpi-68-camaro-hood-close-up.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-hpi-68-camaro-left-side.jpg  
Old 07-18-2008, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Indy,

What days are you guys running at Indy Slots? I'm thinking of heading over some time when I get a chance. How many cars are you getting?

Socko
Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with many who have posted that all tracks running this class should strictly adhere to the rules. However, let's not be too harsh on any track that is trying to build back some local interest. If bending the rules a bit is getting more people to show up at a specific location, that is good for the hobby.

I would suggest though that you need someone at any track running this type of class to be the rules czar. It is their responsibility to guide, prod, push, or otherwise be a pain until all cars are running the rules of the USVTA class. At my local track I've taken on that role. I haven't turned any racers away because their car wasn't exactly in compliance. However, I will remind/bug/annoy any regular who isn't running per the rules - for example using a wing on a Mustang body.

If budgets are a concern at your local track, I can see cutting some guys a little slack for a few races until they can save their pennies. Get 'em hooked and then get them to stay in it the right way. But if your tracks doesn't abide by some form of rules this class you will lose racers because eventually someone is going to be faster who isn't legal and those who are will stop running.

As far as bodies goes, I have been taking the approach of could I have seen this paint scheme on this car in the 60's/70's? If it isn't a copy of a race team, could a privateer have taken his street car to the track and raced it? The point is to give this class a vintage feel as well as seeing cars that look like the are ready to race on an actual track. This is a big draw for a lot of the racers in this class. I can only speak for myself, but I've never been a big fan of a lot of the touring car/off-road paint schemes that you see.

I'll end by saying if it works locally and the racers at your track are having fun, that's great. But if you aren't following the rules as spelled out on the USVTA website, then you really aren't running the same thing as everyone else.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'll just have to take the Firebird down to Nash's track and put a whoopin' on him. That'll get him in line with the rules.

Just kidding Robert.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I agree with many who have posted that all tracks running this class should strictly adhere to the rules. However, let's not be too harsh on any track that is trying to build back some local interest. If bending the rules a bit is getting more people to show up at a specific location, that is good for the hobby.

I would suggest though that you need someone at any track running this type of class to be the rules czar. It is their responsibility to guide, prod, push, or otherwise be a pain until all cars are running the rules of the USVTA class. At my local track I've taken on that role. I haven't turned any racers away because their car wasn't exactly in compliance. However, I will remind/bug/annoy any regular who isn't running per the rules - for example using a wing on a Mustang body.

If budgets are a concern at your local track, I can see cutting some guys a little slack for a few races until they can save their pennies. Get 'em hooked and then get them to stay in it the right way. But if your tracks doesn't abide by some form of rules this class you will lose racers because eventually someone is going to be faster who isn't legal and those who are will stop running.

As far as bodies goes, I have been taking the approach of could I have seen this paint scheme on this car in the 60's/70's? If it isn't a copy of a race team, could a privateer have taken his street car to the track and raced it? The point is to give this class a vintage feel as well as seeing cars that look like the are ready to race on an actual track. This is a big draw for a lot of the racers in this class. I can only speak for myself, but I've never been a big fan of a lot of the touring car/off-road paint schemes that you see.

I'll end by saying if it works locally and the racers at your track are having fun, that's great. But if you aren't following the rules as spelled out on the USVTA website, then you really aren't running the same thing as everyone else.
Yeah, what he said.

Wanna be the USVTA PR director?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
With roar going to a 21.5 / 3200mah lipo class for oval ... will there be other 21.5 motors allowed as long as they are roar appoaved, now that roar will have an approval list for 21.5 motors ?
As I have said before, if ROAR has an approval process for 21.5 motors at any point and they appear on THIS list, the 21.5 motor rule for the USVTA will be revisited.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JonnySocko
Indy,

What days are you guys running at Indy Slots? I'm thinking of heading over some time when I get a chance. How many cars are you getting?

Socko
JS: We race Friday nights, starting time 7-7:30

Indy definately deserves a lot of credit for the class success here in Central Indiana. It's been a lot of fun this summer, and we haven't even really started carpet season yet.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

it's 1969
official telegram from the Team Dirla Racing shop

Dear VTA officials :stop
I had it painted tuesday night before the race last minute as the delivery service deliveried it to the wrong race shop. :stop
I go to my painter and tell him to paint me up white hood roof and rear deck and blue rear with a diagonal line at the center of the door with yellow front. but he was on LSD at the time and this is what I got. :stop
now my chrome guy was at a sit-in in Berkley so I'm still waiting for the pigs to let him go. :stop
and my detail guy is on his 2nd tour of duty in nam so I pray that he makes it back. :stop
any other questions? :stop
Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
any other questions? :stop
Please stop the ugly paint jobs :stop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.