Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I agree with many who have posted that all tracks running this class should strictly adhere to the rules. However, let's not be too harsh on any track that is trying to build back some local interest. If bending the rules a bit is getting more people to show up at a specific location, that is good for the hobby.

I would suggest though that you need someone at any track running this type of class to be the rules czar. It is their responsibility to guide, prod, push, or otherwise be a pain until all cars are running the rules of the USVTA class. At my local track I've taken on that role. I haven't turned any racers away because their car wasn't exactly in compliance. However, I will remind/bug/annoy any regular who isn't running per the rules - for example using a wing on a Mustang body.

If budgets are a concern at your local track, I can see cutting some guys a little slack for a few races until they can save their pennies. Get 'em hooked and then get them to stay in it the right way. But if your tracks doesn't abide by some form of rules this class you will lose racers because eventually someone is going to be faster who isn't legal and those who are will stop running.

As far as bodies goes, I have been taking the approach of could I have seen this paint scheme on this car in the 60's/70's? If it isn't a copy of a race team, could a privateer have taken his street car to the track and raced it? The point is to give this class a vintage feel as well as seeing cars that look like the are ready to race on an actual track. This is a big draw for a lot of the racers in this class. I can only speak for myself, but I've never been a big fan of a lot of the touring car/off-road paint schemes that you see.

I'll end by saying if it works locally and the racers at your track are having fun, that's great. But if you aren't following the rules as spelled out on the USVTA website, then you really aren't running the same thing as everyone else.
Thank you. I wish this type of rule and attitude was in force before the decline of the touring car class, especially with regard to wheels and body livery. We don't even have a tc class at my local track anymore because of lack of interest in "those weird looking cars".
Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Please stop the ugly paint jobs :stop

Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
if I didn't paint it up like that I wouldn't know what car is mine. getting old now and I'm not as fast to pick out my car in a crowd on the straight unless it's painted up that way. we had one qualifer with 3 white with blue strips mustang talk about keeping your car straight
Oh come on...that's the only color scheme your eyes can discern? Maybe it's time to retire. Having a period-correct paint scheme doesn't mean it has to be a white Mustang with blue stripes. The possibilities are limitless...just not necessarily flamboyant!

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
trust me I like the 4cell idea but it comes back to the local track trying to get people intrested in the class and allowing 6cell/lipo just so people didn't have to find 4cell packs as most here only had lipos and brushed motors.
I actually agree with this completely. We're starting the class with the aim of people being able to adapt old cars they have or start with inexpensive new cars and not have to buy a bunch of new stuff. Everyone's got heaps of 6-cell stick packs around. We're limiting things by making the spec motor the Tamiya Sport Tuned black can and will probably impose a FDR limit.

BTW........I'm going to run a white Mustang with blue stripes!
Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs down

See? It's ok because his other cars are really ugly, too!

This is called Trans Am peer pressure and harassment. All future spray bombs and no-detail paint jobs are subjected to same or worse treatment. Public humiliation is likely and enjoyed by all. Stonings are optional. All rights reserved.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

To each his own....but man what a waste of good lexan.....
Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

wow. some of you are so lame ganging up on a guy for not putting decals.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I did mine up like this, can I keep the vinyl top?
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing-1970_plymouth_340_aar_cuda2.jpg  

Last edited by BobbyS; 07-18-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slomo
It’s not so much the lack of decals as it is the lack of taste.

Besides Nash knows how awesome his paint job is and he never has to worry about someone stealing it from him too....we are just having fun with the Blue/Yellow/White Monstrosity that he calls a race car.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slomo
Was thinking the same thing. To each their own....its their own money their spending. I thought this was a hobby to have fun in and enjoy...not be riduculed for not putting a sticker on.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Wow, I guess we are now officially at the point that when you say anything tongue-in-cheek that you actually have to type out in big capital bold type right in the post... "I'M JOKING, SO DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A BUNCH OVER IT."

Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like the rules of the TA....but some tracks dont have a 12th scale or pan car following...most of our racers are new to the game...and our race director thought it would be best to not even touch the 4 cell rule...when you are trying to cut cost....batteries and chargers are top...we compared 3200 lipo and charger compared to 3-5 four cell packs and charger and tray and soldering and storage..ect and the 340+ dollars these newbies would have spent..would have ran them off....the big overall pic is that in order to get really good turn-outs "I" think you have to have a little bending on the rules...I have plenty of 6 cell packs...but if I had to go buy all that stuff "AGAIN"...I wouldnt race TA....I would contiue to race dirt...but I gave that up to do this....and I wouldnt change a thing....

if you keep the cost down...you will have more "FUN"...every week the class grows..we started around 15...now we have over 40 involed...no we didnt go by the book, but we did make adjustments for the class to grow..and we will start bitting down on the rules...just remember if it isnt FUN...its TC
Old 07-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Roberts too old to teach him any new tricks/paint... I feel bad now for all the flaming he's getting about his paint...I figured he'd throw his old scheme on it knowing robert but was hopeful he'd get into the TA sprint and try something else more vintage style... lol.

I must say we are getting bigger and bigger turns out, part of it (IMO) being a little loose on the rules just to get new racers into it. so do what pulls in newbies for your track...then once you get enough turn out force the official rules and /or have a loose rule novice class AND a true TA/4cell/no cheater wing class. ..and I think we are getting enough turn out or are pretty close to have a novice and true TA class.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flying Monkey
Was thinking the same thing. To each their own....its their own money their spending. I thought this was a hobby to have fun in and enjoy...not be riduculed for not putting a sticker on.
Well, it's not that simple. If it were really just "to each their own" then why can't I run 10.5 in stock TC? So what if I would totally crush everyone -- it's my hard-earned money and if I choose to spend it on 10.5 then that's my prerogative, right?

It seems to me that the whole point of Vintage T/A is to have a class of scale appearing vintage livery Trans-Am style cars. A big reason that the people who like it like it is because the cars look "real". Frankly, I don't know why else you would want to run this class. "I want to race touring cars, but I wish they were slower with horrible aerodynamics and marginal grip." I want to run it because the cars look bitchin'. Period.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

aint it nice to be back on the same page TQ...lol...come get some

btw...i think you should do whats best for the class and racers....to each its own...well maybe..but Ive helped 3 other tracks go from 6-10 racers to 20 racers in a couple of weeks...not to hurt the OG rules but to help get ppl racing again

you do what you want...but we are having a ball and I honestly dont see it slowing down anytime soon...our indoor season is around the corner and we are running right on track to come inside and bring even bigger and better turn-outs

hopefully..lol..good luck and happy racing...TA all the way?

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 07-18-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: yummy
Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[QUOTE=DARKSIDE;4650390]....
if you keep the cost down...you will have more "FUN"...every week the class grows..we started around 15...now we have over 40 involed...no we didnt go by the book, but we did make adjustments for the class to grow..and we will start bitting down on the rules...just remember if it isnt FUN...its TC...QUOTE]

Where are you running, 40 seems like a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.