Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Rules are rules. I'm sure there's other classes people can race if they are waiting for a motor.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
They are not legal in USVTA racing. I would expect not many people have tried one of those.
I will probably just hold off and pick up one at the Novak race.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Geez, everybody just go to bed and get a good night's sleep.

"Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!"

Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doug is just tired of defending the same rules over and over again. Every one is invited to read this whole thread from the beginning. By the time you make it to the end you will probably feel the same way. If your brain doesnt pop first.

Really guys this is how it is.

Novak 21.5 motors are legal for now.
ROAR approvals are coming soon for more brands and the USVTA will follow ROAR approvals.
Whats so terrible about that?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Doug is just tired of defending the same rules over and over again. Every one is invited to read this whole thread from the beginning. By the time you make it to the end you will probably feel the same way. If your brain doesnt pop first.

Really guys this is how it is.

Novak 21.5 motors are legal for now.
ROAR approvals are coming soon for more brands and the USVTA will follow ROAR approvals.
Whats so terrible about that?
Nothing at all. I wasn't attacking Doug at all either. Everyone was just getting excessively pissy this evening and I was making light of it.

This thread could probably just be locked except for Doug to make announcements. This is a very simple class with a simple set of rules, each and every one of which has been debated ad nauseam in about 10-page cycles in this thread.

Anyone looking for clarification can find heaps of it with the search function. Anyone who really wants to be dialed on the whole concept can read the thread from the beginning. At least read back 10 pages or so -- very often a question is asked that was just discussed a few posts prior.

Thank you and goodnight.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
This thread could probably just be locked except for Doug to make announcements. This is a very simple class with a simple set of rules, each and every one of which has been debated ad nauseam in about 10-page cycles in this thread.
ditto!!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Nothing at all. I wasn't attacking Doug at all either. Everyone was just getting excessively pissy this evening and I was making light of it.
I didnt mean to direct that at you. Its like you said, every one was getting pissy. I think its just a by product of forums and not being able to be face to face, kicked back in a chair with a cheeseburger in one hand and Integy wrench in the other. Its so different when you are at the track.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Agreed. Sorry if I came off as blunt or curt last night. I tend to not sugar coat things or mince words with rules, because it leaves too much for interpretation. And people tend to like to interpret things when it comes to this class.

Using the SEARCH feature in this thread is a great idea. Most topics have come up a few dozen times or so in the last month and are not hard to find the answers to.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Heard a rumor that HPI was going to make a 69/70 Mustang and a Javelin/AMX. Does anyone know if this is true? If so when?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I can't say for sure. Unfortunately, I have had a LOT of trouble getting a hold of the guys at HPI lately.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

This is posted on the RJ Speed website (www.rjspeed.com):

What would you like to see made next? We are always looking for great ideas. E-Mail us with the body style and car or cars you would like to see it fit. E-mail: [email protected]. This is a suggetion box only, do not expect a reply.

Can't hurt to suggest a Javelin/AMX or a 69/70 Mustang. This is company is owned by Rick Jordan who made the body molds for the old Bolink.

I realize that Parma/PSE makes a 70 Mustang and Pegasus makes a 70 Mustang (looks like a 69). But they both look terrible (and yes I own one of each).
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

http://www.rjspeed.com/
Old 11-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Three
Heard a rumor that HPI was going to make a 69/70 Mustang and a Javelin/AMX. Does anyone know if this is true? If so when?
I know that they want to make everything we ask for, but its always a matter of license and resources.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
You just made part of my point as there are multiple options out there legal in the 17.5 and 27T classes. If the specs jive with the other motors, and one would have to assume that the other manufacturers are using the Novak motor as the benchmark, then why not? Competition is good for the sport. In many ways there are bigger gains to be found in different ESC's than you'd ever see from one motor to another. Novak motors have always had awesome performance and great reliability. The issue at hand is simply availability
I'm all for going to a ROAR spec 21.5 if the VTA gearing restriction is lifted.

But with the gearing restriction in place, if you open up the motor choice, you still in effect have a spec motor class -- the VTA motor is the ROAR spec 21.5 that makes its power at the highest RPM. The ROAR specs do not prevent manufacturers from designing motors, within the specs, that need to be geared differently for best performance.

I saw this effect first hand last summer at a track that limited gear ratios on 13.5 motors in order to allow them to run with 17.5s. The differences between some 13.5 motors was dramatic, *far* larger than the difference between an LRP speedo (with its dynamic timing advance) and a Novak (with no timing advance in the speedo).

Competition between manufacturers is often good for the consumer, but not always. When competition creates quicker obsolescence, it raises costs. Obviously we've accepted this principle with respect to tires for VTA. Given that the installed base of non-Novak 21.5 motors is small, there is no good reason not to accept the principle for motors as well.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
I'm all for going to a ROAR spec 21.5 if the VTA gearing restriction is lifted.
Not to speak for Doug but I dont think you will see that until, 21.5 lipo is the only power format allowed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.