Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know everybody is concerned about costs, but it costs $0 to solder a new guys packs from 6 cell into 4 cell, and he gets an extra pack out of the deal. For an investment of about $10 or less, you can get enough battery bars to break down 2 stick packs.

I understand bending the rules for a bit to get racers on the track. It's great to get these guys out there. Giving a hand to the lesser experienced guys goes a long way, too.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

He was talking about the paint job. Paint job is pretty much the only thing that you can be creative with, while still being on spec. Nobody mentioned motors or batteries. Sooner or later, people will realize vta is no different from other classes, or get bored and move on to faster class. You're supposed to be welcoming new racers right? Well, you did a very good job on turning off many potential racers with your holier than thou attitude. How ironic?

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Well, it's not that simple. If it were really just "to each their own" then why can't I run 10.5 in stock TC? So what if I would totally crush everyone -- it's my hard-earned money and if I choose to spend it on 10.5 then that's my prerogative, right?

It seems to me that the whole point of Vintage T/A is to have a class of scale appearing vintage livery Trans-Am style cars. A big reason that the people who like it like it is because the cars look "real". Frankly, I don't know why else you would want to run this class. "I want to race touring cars, but I wish they were slower with horrible aerodynamics and marginal grip." I want to run it because the cars look bitchin'. Period.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slomo
He was talking about the paint job. Paint job is pretty much the only thing that you can be creative with, while still being on spec. Nobody mentioned motors or batteries.
Again there's the idea that you've got to do some flamboyant neon paint job in order to be "creative." Go through this thread and look at the pics of the dozens of cars that conform to the spirit of the class while still being creative and unique.

Sooner or later, people will realize vta is no different from other classes, or get bored and move on to faster class.
...and the more interesting and different you keep it by maintaining its unique vintage appeal the less this will happen. By allowing it to turn into just another touring car class you will hasten its demise.

You're supposed to be welcoming new racers right? Well, you did a very good job on turning off many potential racers with your holier than thou attitude. How ironic?
Actually, I am a new VTA racer myself -- I'm still putting the car together and will race it for the first time next Sunday. What attracted me to the class was the look and feel of vintage Trans-Am racing, something I've been a fan of since I was a young boy. Even more so now that TC, 12th pan, etc. have "evolved" into nearly-identical cars with little resemblance to anything real. If I had initially opened this thread and seen a bunch of gaudy neon vintage bodies I would have moved on, uninterested. So, to see VTA already heading that way even a little did indeed get under my skin. It has nothing to do with being "holier than thou." Either you get the concept of the class or you don't.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Tech Adept

Keep drinking the coolaid, and keep acting like a-holes. You will attract more and more people with that elitist attitude. It's easy to pull the "I was joking" card, but it's only an excuse. This fad will pass in no time, but the blob racing will still remain.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Keep drinking the coolaid, and keep acting like a-holes. You will attract more and more people with that elitist attitude. It's easy to pull the "I was joking" card, but it's only an excuse. This fad will pass in no time, but the blob racing will still remain.
And the blob racers will wonder again "what happened to the class, where did everyone go?". Then someone will come up with a class of realistic looking vehicles, and some idiot will come along, argue "variances", and the cycle of people leaving that class will happen again as well. When touring cars were popular, way back when, people left pan cars, even though touring cars were slower. I wonder why? Well, at the beginning of TC racing, cars actually looked like their real world counterparts, then the dish wheels and stupid airbrush paintjobs came along that looked like kindergarten crayola creations, there went the attendance, as well as any kind of interest from new racers.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Tech Adept

it's called evolution. Masami and marc R never complained about the bodies. Only the people who cant drive. Ok you win. have it your way. nobody runs this class in my area anyway.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it's called evolution. Masami and marc R never complained about the bodies. Only the people who cant drive. Ok you win. have it your way. nobody runs this class in my area anyway.
This is a simple class to participate in. It is just like a spec class, wait, it is a SPEC class. At my local track we have the largest turnout for VTA ,all in SPEC, than TC mod. It is fun and anyone is welcome. We even have someone using a TT01 (Tamiya) and winning. You see all kinds of chassis; TC3, TC4, TC5, T2s, MIs, JRX, XXX-S and more. The battery rule hasn't bothered anyone.

The only exceptions made are for when someone moves up from the Rookie class and only has stick packs (RTR people, usually kids). We let them race in TA when there is no stock TC class. Oh, did I say no stock TC? Yes, I did. Our VTA class is growing but not the stock class (never really had a stock class since the track started operating, just Mod TC andVTA).

So say what you will. It seems that the evolution is going in the VTA direction here.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ok you win. have it your way. nobody runs this class in my area anyway.
And you just proved (or is it re-proved) Apex's point - people who haven't run this class come into this thread and MISS THE POINT OF IT...They start yapping about how to change it to make it better/faster/more attractive to the "masses"...well, the masses are the ones looking at this class and running it...not the psudo-hardcore racers...

Originally Posted by AreCee
This is a simple class to participate in. It is just like a spec class, wait, it is a SPEC class. At my local track we have the largest turnout for VTA ,all in SPEC, than TC mod. It is fun and anyone is welcome. We even have someone using a TT01 (Tamiya) and winning. You see all kinds of chassis; TC3, TC4, TC5, T2s, MIs, JRX, XXX-S and more. The battery rule hasn't bothered anyone.

The only exceptions made are for when someone moves up from the Rookie class and only has stick packs (RTR people, usually kids). We let them race in TA when there is no stock TC class. Oh, did I say no stock TC? Yes, I did. Our VTA class is growing but not the stock class (never really had a stock class since the track started operating, just Mod TC andVTA).

So say what you will. It seems that the evolution is going in the VTA direction here.
ditto -there is the "hook" and selling point for the VTA class, YOU CAN WIN WITH ANYTHING OUT THERE...from the $89 TT01 chassis tothe $500 Top-of-the-line-Lastest&Greatest-Touring Car chassis...

hmmm...I'm half-tempted to get me a TT01 and try it out
Old 07-19-2008, 04:49 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

people want a reprieve on everythin. worried bout being different. the last decade has been about runnin just about the same kinda body w/every1 gettin some variety of flashy glitz paintjob. that or people that just bomb it 1 color and thats it. this of course or in offroad where 9/10 2wd buggies have neon green in some form on the bodies to match the 'moondish' wheels.

think about it, u have a chance at a vintage mustang or camaro and its as close as u'll get b/c a bunch of fat, money-laiden, image conscious car 'collectors' have made many an example unattainable for the masses. unattainable as its now just another form that they can show off w/toys and still make $ on the next guy. they dont have a passion for cars, their now just another investment avenue in this unstable economy.

BS, move on and spend more time running ur toy car and lovin it instead of typing BS on here. ur only helpin to kill the hobby in general. idiots, all this time u could spend postin/complain, u coulda been down to 4cell already so u can practice and get ur way outta the Cmain. but then again if ur really passionate bout the hobby, then it all doesnt matter if fun as a goal is met.

1 day i'll get 1 of my choices out and running.

R

ps-tt01s max FDR is 5.72:1 (25P/55S * 2.6). so brushed is ur only option. per FYI
Old 07-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Sooner or later, people will realize vta is no different from other classes, or get bored and move on to faster class. You're supposed to be welcoming new racers right? Well, you did a very good job on turning off many potential racers with your holier than thou attitude. How ironic?
There you have it, folks... the first ANTI Trans Am racer. Glad to have you here.

There's plenty of room for racers who love spray-bombed amorphous bodies and dish wheels, and going as fast as they can handle with their race cars—but that's not going to happen here. When that begins to show it's face, the natives tend to get defensive of their beloved class. No Kool-Aid here, just pure grassroots racing. You should try it sometime—it's about as much fun as I have ever had racing, and that goes back longer than a few years.

Yup, this class is only for people who can't drive... and everyone else.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

You beat me to it by relating that the TT01 has a limited gearing range. And yes, our lone TT01 driver is only into brushed motors. Still it was very close competition and that what also makes this class exciting. You can actually ID the car as it goes by rather than question what was that blur.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

As pointed out- you simple don't get and won't. You're just like the guys in the AE desert truck thread slamming the Slash as not 'real' racing.

Some people want to come out and race without their hobby taking over.

I've spent thousands on 1/10 scale years ago and don't want to go there again.

I think a large group of races in USVTA are going to be older ex racers like me and new people because they can pick up a $100 car on ebay, learn to drive and compete.

I can't wait for my first race, my paint job I'm working on is different but falls into the spirit of the class. As a matter of fact I was disappointed to see a 'typical' sedan paint job for a kid that races Trans Am at the track.

I just wish we had an outdoor track, I'd pick a Slash too.

Just image, racing two fun classes for less than I spent on a single class years ago and spend less time commited to both!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

my buddy and i just finished our cars, just waiting on the number stickers, anyone know where to get round number stickers?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TwoTone

I just wish we had an outdoor track, I'd pick a Slash too.

Just image, racing two fun classes for less than I spent on a single class years ago and spend less time commited to both!
Amen, brother. my sentiments exactly. It's the most fun and least expense I've had in rc since I started in '89.
Laterz,
Bob
Old 07-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VenturaDC
...anyone know where to get round number stickers?
I have a large stack of the original HPI meatball number sheets here and you can have a few for free. All I ask is that you cover postage, as I have already had a few envelopes returned to me on my own postage dime.

PM me with your e-mail address and I will get a few sheets out on Monday to anyone who wants them. Postage has been under $1 for the large envelopes, but generally varies depending on location in the U.S. $1 via PayPal should cover it anywhere in the country. I'll drop you a PP invoice to the e-mail provided so I'll have all of your mailing info, too.

doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.