Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree22Likes

Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AC500
Thanks Dino, that'll work fine then, rather not mess with the natural geomotry of the car, jus need to decide on a motor/ESC.
Normally anywhere from 7.5t to 5.5t. Keep in mind space is a premium on that car. You want to find a small ESC or you will need to be creative with the space given. Tekin RS Pro is one of the smallest giving you lots of room. The Gen2 motor limit is too high for most 4wd applications. Maybe Tekin RSX Try not to go larger than a Orion R10, Speed Passion Revention Pro, or Hobbywing v3. Not sure how big a castle MM Max is.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dino_D
Battery options: Saddle. You can get a shorty to fit, but then again you are changing the weight balance of the car which will require a different setup change.
shorty isn't that much lighter, saddle is usually about 265g, and a higher capacity(4600-4700mah) or slightly heavier shorty is about 220g.
It's really just a mere 45g lighter in the middle-rear part of the chassis, about 2.5% of the whole car's weight.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This may have been covered but over 1000 pages I thought I'd ask.
We're opening up a 1/10 scale 4WD class this year on our short, tight, grippy track, Im curious what my battery options were and leaning towards a CC system but not sure which. This is going to be somewhat of a budget racer seeing my MBX7 Nitro/MBX6TEco are my primary classes.
Any help would be absolutely awesome.
Thanks, really looking forward to putting a few packs thru my new DEX410R V3
Castle don't make race motors, they make overpowered crazy basher things. Quad pole motors in the 4WD is just a recipe for disaster. (no sensor either, so its Brute force on!)
Their latest line of escs are not great either when cramped into the little cars. (I find the bec drops out too often)

Get yourself a Speed passion combo, they are good, especially for the money.
8.5/7.5 on a short grippy track will be great, plenty of room to play with gearing + boost to get that perfect balance of speed.

Certain other clone brands do well too (Turnigy, Toro) if the money is short.

Good luck, Dex410 is a great platform.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks alot my man, the Speed Passion Combo's fit nicely into my budget for this car....I really dont want to dump a ton of cash into it but I dont want total junk either. Looking at the Speed Passion Brushless Reventon Pro 1.1 140A ESC V3.0 7.5R Motor Combo or maybe even the Reventon-R 70A ESC V3.0 7.5R Motor Combo, the difference being only $50 but IDK if any one of them would be better then the other for the small time racing Im going to be doing.
Thanks Reflexia,

Originally Posted by Reflexia
Castle don't make race motors, they make overpowered crazy basher things. Quad pole motors in the 4WD is just a recipe for disaster. (no sensor either, so its Brute force on!)
Their latest line of escs are not great either when cramped into the little cars. (I find the bec drops out too often)

Get yourself a Speed passion combo, they are good, especially for the money.
8.5/7.5 on a short grippy track will be great, plenty of room to play with gearing + boost to get that perfect balance of speed.

Certain other clone brands do well too (Turnigy, Toro) if the money is short.

Good luck, Dex410 is a great platform.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLRrunner
Mine is out for delivery today!! I'm ordering the needed extras this weekend. It should be up and running by next weekend!!
Just checked it was delivered. Wow that was fast it just went out Monday!!!! The others are still in Jersey. Get to building.....
Old 02-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bman's 3XNT
Just checked it was delivered. Wow that was fast it just went out Monday!!!! The others are still in Jersey. Get to building.....
already working on it! The only things I'm missing are the diff parts. My exotek locker and the yokomo battery posts came today too. I'm ordering the missing things tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Go with the RevPro 1.1 combo and I'd suggest you go with the 6.5.

Having run Tekin exclusively dating back 25+ years, I was having an issue I thought was due to my ESC which ended up being my radio instead, but Being as I already owned an R in my T4.1 that was insanely powerful and smooth, I decided to go with 2 Pro 1.1 models and I have to say they are every bit as good as my trusty Tekins but programming is MUCH easier thanks to the included program box which means no need to bring your laptop which is nice when you don't feel like bring it with you, and the Pro now also includes a fan as well which is nice. The built in On/Off/Programming button makes for a super slick setup, which on a car as short on real estate as the 410 is essential. It's one less thing to have to find a spot for.

Trust me, you won't regret going with Speed Passion. The quality of their products is among the best in the industry. Oh, and their Blutooth module allows you to either make changes directly from smartphones and tablets, inuding iOS devices and you can have someone make changes for you while you're on the stand so there's no lapse in time and you can immediately notice how the changes affect the car's performance.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Conversion under way!
Attached Thumbnails Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-20140227_000222.jpg  

Last edited by TLRrunner; 02-27-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TLRrunner
Coversion under way!
Looks good!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks alot my man, the Speed Passion Combo's fit nicely into my budget for this car....I really dont want to dump a ton of cash into it but I dont want total junk either. Looking at the Speed Passion Brushless Reventon Pro 1.1 140A ESC V3.0 7.5R Motor Combo or maybe even the Reventon-R 70A ESC V3.0 7.5R Motor Combo, the difference being only $50 but IDK if any one of them would be better then the other for the small time racing Im going to be doing.
Thanks Reflexia,
No probs. I've gone the pro route every time (4 x now, 2 original pros, 2 pro 1.1s) so can't tell you what the R is like, I just like to have head room in terms of amperage, but it does come at a price. The Fan it comes with can be a little dodgy ( one of mine the fins flew off glue ). But Australia is a hot place (was 35'c (95'F ) ambient when I was racing it off some pretty large landings) , so that could have something to do with it I use Yeah Racing Typhoons mostly now anyways. Can't have too much cooling

Good luck. 7.5R is a good choice for tight tracks too.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Suspended

the incubus, any reason as to why you'd suggest the 6.5 over the 7.5, looking for strong run times, car control and a smooth running set-up on a short tight grippy track?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by the incubus

Having run Tekin exclusively dating back 25+ years, I was having an issue I thought was due to my ESC which ended up being my radio instead, but Being as I already owned an R in my T4.1 that was insanely powerful and smooth, I decided to go with 2 Pro 1.1 models and I have to say they are every bit as good as my trusty Tekins but programming is MUCH easier thanks to the included program box which means no need to bring your laptop which is nice when you don't feel like bring it with you, and the Pro now also includes a fan as well which is nice. The built in On/Off/Programming button makes for a super slick setup, which on a car as short on real estate as the 410 is essential. It's one less thing to have to find a spot for.

Trust me, you won't regret going with Speed Passion. The quality of their products is among the best in the industry. Oh, and their Blutooth module allows you to either make changes directly from smartphones and tablets, inuding iOS devices and you can have someone make changes for you while you're on the stand so there's no lapse in time and you can immediately notice how the changes affect the car's performance.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

The way I see things is that it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have one.

The 410 is one of the heavier 4WD cars and most people run either 5.5 or 6.5 as far as I know. I run a VST 6.5 in mine and I feel it's perfect. If I were to have to drop in my SP 7.5 I wouldn't be surprised to have to turn up timing a bit to match the Orion. the difference wouldn't be much, but enough where it would be noticeable. You can always trim power via various means, but when you're maxed out how do you squeeze out more without stressing the motor itself?
Old 02-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by the incubus

Hope this helps.
Of course Incubus pretty much took all my words but +10 for speed passion. I've driven a bunch of other ESC types, all the majors and most of them don't compare to the smooth throttle response of the speed passion. I also seem to run way cooler than most of the other guys and I don't lack any speed. I'm usually passing them on the straight then afterwards they wonder how hot I am. My motors stay under 130F typically. Even after long runs.

Their software is awesome, they include the programming card, and the wireless module for iOS is dope. I don't believe they have updated for iOS 7 yet so you will need an older iOS device for this. However you can do most everything you will ever need on the card. Everything else you can use the card to connect to your computer (say you want to update your firmware) and a couple of smaller fine tuning adjustments are available here.

Lastly you may look for a deal on the 1.0 version of the Reventon Pro, I've been running them for a while and they are awesome. The 1.1 version has a much better fan setup and lower resistance but this is probably minor.

I'm also running a 6.5T. It seems to be a real nice sweet spot.

Hope that helps.

here's a couple pics of my setup. I've put my fan inline as the Speed Passion has a great feature of airflow through the middle of the ESC heatsink.
Attached Thumbnails Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-img_2124.jpg   Team Durango DEX410 4WD 1/10 Off-Road Buggy Thread-img_2120.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I specifically like running lower turn motors because I get a much more linear response and cooler running operation mostly because I'm running little to no timing and often I have the DDRS setting on the ESC set low. Usually around 4 or 5. Higher number means more horsepower. Also, if I need more power it's there. No need to push the motor in weird ways and stressing it. +1 for Incubus.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Suspended

13Maschine, the incubus, Reflexia and Dino_D, thanks for all your help guys, Im going to go SP for sure now, I do like the idea of the 6.5T and dialing out the power, I agree its much harder to squeeze more out of a motor then it is to dial out power. I doubt I'll ever need all the power the 6.5T has, but Im sure it'll run cooler as well.

13Maschine, how do you like those batts? I need to pick up a couple sets.
Thanks Again Guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.