Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fat500
anyone move the shocks to the rear of the arms and flip the tower? Thoughts?
It's good if you need more grip and I have used it on the 4.0 on wet slippery astro but I prefer keeping them on the front and adding the 25g rear weight as it keeps the weight within the wheelbase.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I appear to have joined the ranks of people having problems with the shocks. Was cleaning it after race day 3 and found this. I didn't crash it, or even hit any really big jumps or anything. I had read that some people were breaking the end caps in different places.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Tks, I will try it and see. Gonna ck my shock ends now.....................................
Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05
I appear to have joined the ranks of people having problems with the shocks. Was cleaning it after race day 3 and found this. I didn't crash it, or even hit any really big jumps or anything. I had read that some people were breaking the end caps in different places.

where are you reading that this issue is piling up? First ive seen anything about it. Just curious if there is another source of 5.0 info that im not apart of.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default Great Astro car!

No issues with shock rod ends. No issues at all actually!
Racing on high bite Astro. Up to speed immediately with few changes.
Car was an easy build; far better than the 4.0 I had. Great fit and finish. Still no suspension slop after the equivalent of four race nights and I’ve broken nothing.
i am going to try the brass front pivot block. Wish there was a slightly lighter one.
Anyway, if you had a 4.0 and weren’t happy with the build, don’t worry. This kit is great!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't have any issues with rod ends either. I decided to change things up. Switched the direct drive for a slipper, added +2mm towers, low front wing, new bearings, some titanium motor screws, and swaybars to see how they affect handling. I know buying option parts is unnecessary, but I love testing stuff out and tinkering at my desk

Also I'm taking an engineering graphics course and for my final assignment i decided to model a front G3 shock! Was a neat project and learned some new techniques.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe

where are you reading that this issue is piling up? First ive seen anything about it. Just curious if there is another source of 5.0 info that im not apart of.
I'm in a TLR 22 FB group. There was a thread when the kit first released where a batch of people were posting pics of them losing the end piece. So far though this has been my only issue with the kit. I love it, and it is a great upgrade from my 4.0. Given the spot where the end broke, I'm going to assume that the poor thing couldn't withstand the force of all that extra high speed cornering the 5.0 opened up on carpet tracks.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by I_NeedBigDrink
Don't have any issues with rod ends either. I decided to change things up. Switched the direct drive for a slipper, added +2mm towers, low front wing, new bearings, some titanium motor screws, and swaybars to see how they affect handling. I know buying option parts is unnecessary, but I love testing stuff out and tinkering at my desk

Also I'm taking an engineering graphics course and for my final assignment i decided to model a front G3 shock! Was a neat project and learned some new techniques.
Nice job. For a better grade you might consider moving the text from part number to the description field and either use TLR part numbers or make up your own in part number column. Good luck.
I_NeedBigDrink likes this.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I decided to change things up...low front wing...

Just curious, but, have you had the chance to compare how the buggy handles, comparing the stock front wing vs no front wing vs low front wing, especially on dirt/clay? I've seen a couple people running the stock front wing (as I have), and some running without any front wing, but I haven't seen anyone (yet) running a low front wing.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Panther6834
Just curious, but, have you had the chance to compare how the buggy handles, comparing the stock front wing vs no front wing vs low front wing, especially on dirt/clay? I've seen a couple people running the stock front wing (as I have), and some running without any front wing, but I haven't seen anyone (yet) running a low front wing.
Just installed the parts yesterday, so no chance to test yet
I figured I’d try it out because I have a feeling the high front wing disrupts enough air flow to the rear wing to make a noticeable difference. I’ll see how it handles the fastest turns on the track. Another reason I got it is because it less of an eye sore and hopefully will last longer in the lower position.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Roken
Nice job. For a better grade you might consider moving the text from part number to the description field and either use TLR part numbers or make up your own in part number column. Good luck.
That’s a much better way to write the BOM. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What size drill bit are you guys using to drill out the ballcup
Old 05-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Have you tried cutting the wings down some? Might have the most effect of all.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speed101
What size drill bit are you guys using to drill out the ballcup
EDIT: never mind, I think we are referring to 2 different thing. I was just making a hole in the cup for easy access to the ballstud.

I drilled one of mine out yesterday and used a 2 mm bit. i had to "massage" it a bit to get my driver into the hole. That said, i haven't put it on the turnbuckle, or popped it on a ballstud, so i can't comment on how or if it works.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Panther6834
Going between the three I would say the lower front wing option is more aggressive overall in the low speed sections of the track, whereas, running the wing up high tends to give the car more predictability in high speed sections (i.e. sweepers, etc...). For the most part I always run a front wing indoors, but there has been circumstances outdoors on lower bite tracks that running neither has been better as it actually made the buggy easier to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.