Like Tree886Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 04-22-2024, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Differential Question......

OK, silly somewhat newbie question......

At a race this past weekend someone who ran AE platforms looked at my TLR and said "you must be blowing through a ton of diff fluid, huh?"......... My answer was "No." primarily as I was confused by his statement/question.

While I get that it is a PITA to service the TLR diffs vs. AE and others requiring 20+ screws to be removed I don't recall anything but the diff grease on the balls, plates, etc. and that isn't much from a volume perspective. What is this perception that the TLR transmission/diff "blows through a ton of 'diff fluid'...."? My TLR geared diff is also fairly stingy on grease volume all things considered compared to a sealed diff that requires an "open bath" system of oil or grease......

Seriously, what am I missing? My diff is silky smooth still.......
Old 04-22-2024, 03:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Unless you're leaking fluid out the trans I'm not sure what he is talking about. The TLR gear diff, if built right, doesn't leak or at most leaks very, very little. Unlike the B6 gear diff which need the alloy cover upgrade to not puke diff fluid everywhere.
River19 likes this.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco73
Unless you're leaking fluid out the trans I'm not sure what he is talking about. The TLR gear diff, if built right, doesn't leak or at most leaks very, very little. Unlike the B6 gear diff which need the alloy cover upgrade to not puke diff fluid everywhere.

OK Thanks, that was kinda what I was thinking. While the TLR is a PITA to get to the diffs by comparison to service or swap out, they shouldn't "need" much maintenance where I would be pulling it every few races. I can certainly see rebuilding it after a season, but I would look forward to a car refresh after an active season with weekly races and practice sessions.

Old 04-22-2024, 03:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's not really about maintenance it's more about being able to swap diffs or change diff fluid quickly. If you have to tear the whole rear end of the car apart to go up or down on diff fluid or from 2 or 4 gear or swap in a spare diff thats setup differently as tuning aids you're not gonna want to do it as often as you might like. Having cars now which have quick access diffs I won't go back.
OffRoadJunkie likes this.

Last edited by ChocoTaco73; 04-22-2024 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco73
It's not really about maintenance it's more about being able to swap diffs or change diff fluid quickly. If you have to tear the whore rear end of the car apart to go up or down on diff fluid or from 2 or 4 gear or swap in a spare diff thats setup differently as tuning aids you're not gonna want to do it as often as you might like. Having cars now which have quick access diffs I won't go back.
Totally understand.

Once I get to the point where the thing that is holding me back is that nuanced, I will probably get annoyed as well, but I'm not there yet......no where near lol
ChocoTaco73 likes this.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

I think a lot of that stigma comes from the 22 RTR (Ready To Rebuild) leaking like the Exxon Valdez right in the box. They dont torque the plastic cap down evenly or snuggly during assembly.

But like ChocoTaco said, once its built right, i find it takes less maintenance than the B6 gear diff does. It seems to be less susceptible to dirt intrusion, and manages the fluid better under stress.
That said... 6 screws is better than 18.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BigBuckORamma
I think a lot of that stigma comes from the 22 RTR (Ready To Rebuild) leaking like the Exxon Valdez right in the box. They dont torque the plastic cap down evenly or snuggly during assembly.

But like ChocoTaco said, once its built right, i find it takes less maintenance than the B6 gear diff does. It seems to be less susceptible to dirt intrusion, and manages the fluid better under stress.
That said... 6 screws is better than 18.
6 is certainly easier than the 18-20 it takes.

That all being said, I have 2 TLRs now, one with the geared diff (DC roller) and the other Elite with the ball.....neither one has given me an issue yet and both are still nice and smooth.

Granted I am only running 17.5s on carpet for the geared and indoor clay with the ball ...............
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.