Like Tree833Likes

TLR 22 5.0

Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
EDIT: never mind, I think we are referring to 2 different thing. I was just making a hole in the cup for easy access to the ballstud.

I drilled one of mine out yesterday and used a 2 mm bit. i had to "massage" it a bit to get my driver into the hole. That said, i haven't put it on the turnbuckle, or popped it on a ballstud, so i can't comment on how or if it works.
any issues with Them cracking or breaking do to drilling them
Old 05-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by speed101

any issues with Them cracking or breaking do to drilling them
I haven't tested it yet. I'm wanting to replace the ball cup on the diff nut side so i don't have to continually pop it off and on. I will be receiving new hubs monday, and will do the install at that time. I know people do the mod, just not certain how well it works.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

so the 22 5.0 I picked up didn't come with the front wing, I plan on racing it this coming Saturday, the track is dirt, often times very loose, how important is having either the low front wing or high front wing? or will I be ok with neither?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott_0
so the 22 5.0 I picked up didn't come with the front wing, I plan on racing it this coming Saturday, the track is dirt, often times very loose, how important is having either the low front wing or high front wing? or will I be ok with neither?

Thanks!
On a looser track surface I would not be too concerned about not having one. From my personal experience I have found them more beneficial for myself on medium to high traction surfaces.
scott_0 likes this.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Addict

So ran my new AC on with franks setup on high traction carpet Iím having a on power push Iíve try different springs, oil,lighter diff oil, 4 steering arms,has anyone have the say problem
Old 05-20-2019, 10:25 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

So ran my new AC on with franks setup on high traction carpet Iím having a on power push Iíve try different springs, oil,lighter diff oil, 4 steering arms,has anyone have the say problem
Did you run the setup exactly, including the brass bits?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

Yes sir besides the alum rear hubs and axles
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM
TLRacing

Yes sir besides the alum rear hubs and axles
Try running less rear toe. I also have my front wing angled up, using M2.5 button heads in the two pilot holes on the wing mount.

Are you running stock, or mod?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Iíll give that a try ,Iím running stock
Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by I_NeedBigDrink
I figured Iíd try it out because I have a feeling the high front wing disrupts enough air flow to the rear wing to make a noticeable difference. Iíll see how it handles the fastest turns on the track. Another reason I got it is because it less of an eye sore and hopefully will last longer in the lower position.
So, any word yet on a comparison (on dirt/clay) of the stock front wing vs low front wing vs no front wing? I've saved the low front wing in my 'cart', but holding off ordering it until I know if it is worth it.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Pink
Going between the three I would say the lower front wing option is more aggressive overall in the low speed sections of the track, whereas, running the wing up high tends to give the car more predictability in high speed sections (i.e. sweepers, etc...). For the most part I always run a front wing indoors, but there has been circumstances outdoors on lower bite tracks that running neither has been better as it actually made the buggy easier to drive.
Originally Posted by Panther6834
So, any word yet on a comparison (on dirt/clay) of the stock front wing vs low front wing vs no front wing? I've saved the low front wing in my 'cart', but holding off ordering it until I know if it is worth it.
Not yet, busy week. Also, I changed a lot of parts/settings on my buggy so my info won't be as reliable, but I will bring both wings to compare. For now you can go by Team Pink's word.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:57 PM
TLRacing

Here is my .02.

Low Wing - more quick steering, good for 180's and really quick direction changes. I almost always run this on carpet, especially smaller tracks.
High Wing - more steering, but smoother. Good for long sweepers, and fast flowing tracks. IMO, jumps even better.
Ross71 and JCG1 like this.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks, to both of you. Even with the changes, I'll be interested in the results. At the same time...and a no, not trying to "complicate" things...the things pointed out by Frank raises some interesting questions, depending on the track. Frank, you indicate that the low wing is great for quicker steering (especially 180s & quick direction changes, such as an 'S-turn' (I'd assume), while the stock/high wing is better for smoother steering, long sweeps, and jumps. So, if your track had a well-packed dirt/clay track with combination of all these elements, which would you go with? Stock/high wing, low wing, or no front wing? A "well-balanced track" appears to complicate the question, thus the reason why I'm curious as to what both of your answers might be.

In addition to my 22 5.0 SR, I'm in the process of converting a 1/10 4WD vehicle (still deciding whether it will be my Rustler 4x4, or my Slash 4x4) into a 1/8 4WD buggy. While the rear wing had already been narrowed down to 2 possibilities, I'm also toying with the idea (because of the 22 5.0 SR) of adding a front wing. Depending on how the high/low/no goes with the 22 5.0 SR, the results might play into what direction I go with the 1/8 buggy conversion. But, again, I want to hold off in ordering the low wing for the 22 5.0 SR until there's some sort of determination on how it handles, compared to the stock/high wing.

Low Wing - more quick steering, good for 180's and really quick direction changes. I almost always run this on carpet, especially smaller tracks.
High Wing - more steering, but smoother. Good for long sweepers, and fast flowing tracks. IMO, jumps even better.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:35 PM
TLRacing

Thanks, to both of you. Even with the changes, I'll be interested in the results. At the same time...and a no, not trying to "complicate" things...the things pointed out by Frank raises some interesting questions, depending on the track. Frank, you indicate that the low wing is great for quicker steering (especially 180s & quick direction changes, such as an 'S-turn' (I'd assume), while the stock/high wing is better for smoother steering, long sweeps, and jumps. So, if your track had a well-packed dirt/clay track with combination of all these elements, which would you go with? Stock/high wing, low wing, or no front wing? A "well-balanced track" appears to complicate the question, thus the reason why I'm curious as to what both of your answers might be.

In addition to my 22 5.0 SR, I'm in the process of converting a 1/10 4WD vehicle (still deciding whether it will be my Rustler 4x4, or my Slash 4x4) into a 1/8 4WD buggy. While the rear wing had already been narrowed down to 2 possibilities, I'm also toying with the idea (because of the 22 5.0 SR) of adding a front wing. Depending on how the high/low/no goes with the 22 5.0 SR, the results might play into what direction I go with the 1/8 buggy conversion. But, again, I want to hold off in ordering the low wing for the 22 5.0 SR until there's some sort of determination on how it handles, compared to the stock/high wing.

I run a high wing on clay 90% of the time. I like the smoother steering. Regarding S turns, we usually have so much grip in the tires that I prefer the high/smoother wing for quick change of direction events.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Pistol123 and JCG1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.