Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Hey Gradnpa - I am busting open the box on my M05 Pro this week too. Plan on running it end of month at the Mazda race with the RX-7 body I brought out Saturday. As for time spent painting a body, well, you know I can't help myself. If you need some electronics for you F103, I have a Novak GTX I can let go cheap and if you are running Airtronics 75FM, I have more than a few extra receivers laying around. Never hurts when I need to get some grandpa power in my mini !

Tom - bit of advice. Let them all bash and bang and laugh and when the Red Seas part as 4-5 minis go bouncing every which way, then drive through. Days of Thunder baby. Head for the smoke and drive straight through it.
Thanx Kevin, but I'm too fond of the Tekin Fx to use anything else right now. The small foot print and the smooth power delivery is hard ro let go. Looking forward to initiating that Mazda tho. Should be a good looking body with the super neat detailing you do on your paint jobs. Just kidding about the initiation. I promise not to even get close to it. Now Tom's Swift is another story.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
I know that no one really knows me in the Tamiya world, but I wanted to express my opinion about tires on the F1 car.
Rubbers, while they are not as much traction as a foam, remove a lot of problems that foam tires can create.
Pros of Foam tires are...........
-High traction
-Stable cars
Cons...
-The tires can chunk, then have to be replaced.
- Have to be turned down to work in high traction environments.
- After wear there can be stagger in the tires, which then need to be trued.
- They wear out fast.

Rubber tires, while they do not create as much traction, have no cons other than less traction. They will not need to be put a on a tire truer. A special arbor does not have to be purchased for the truer.

If anyone feels I am off on any point here, please let me know. I have raced a LONG time and feel rubber tires might get more people into the F1 game. I sold my 103 a while back. The car was Dialed at my home track. I wish I would have kept it to go to Cali a week ago. Until the rules go back to rubber tires, I will not likely get another one as much as I love open wheel racing.

-
I dont think you are off base at all,I have stated before that I would prefer to run rubber over foams. That said I have also stated that I am just happy to have F1 back in TCS , it was after all really the class that started TCS.
The problem I have with foam is not the wear rate, but the fact that to go fast you have to whittle them down to almost nothing right of the bat. It becomes a difficult thing to control, because its stupid to tell someone that they cant run a set of tires because they are too small. But to me it is a tremendous waste to take a tire out of the package and grind half of it off before it even touches the track. Were the rubber tires for the 103 the best they could be? No . But once you understood them and how to tune the car around them , you could make the car work pretty good. The Tamiya track is an oddity, from the track surface itself, to the changing conditions due to wind, dust, temperature, cloud cover, etc. I never liked running foams there, of course I wasnt running traction compound either, but I had better success when F1 went to rubber, Dave Beale had a lot to do with that. I guess what I am saying is that the Aliso track is an awsome place, but the rules shouldnt hinge around just that track. I saw some great racing at the regional level on rubber at other tracks. Just another $.25 opinion
Old 09-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not having much experience with Tamiya rubber tires except on some borrowed sedans, I haven't had a great time with them from the little I have used them. Sorex, TakeOff, etc, are much much better. The reason I like F1 right now is the foams. I know they are not going to go off in 2 runs or something.

Also, you don't need a special arbor. A 1/12 arbor does the fronts, and you can take the left side hex off of the car and put it on the end of a Hudy shaft as an arbor.

I realize a lot of people don't like foam from the get go, but it's a pan car. That's what the rest of them run.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I think many of the guys who ran the F103GT's got a handle on running with rubber tires.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Not having much experience with Tamiya rubber tires except on some borrowed sedans, I haven't had a great time with them from the little I have used them. Sorex, TakeOff, etc, are much much better. The reason I like F1 right now is the foams. I know they are not going to go off in 2 runs or something.

Also, you don't need a special arbor. A 1/12 arbor does the fronts, and you can take the left side hex off of the car and put it on the end of a Hudy shaft as an arbor.

I realize a lot of people don't like foam from the get go, but it's a pan car. That's what the rest of them run.
That's kinda what was nice about the F103 Rubber Tires. Sure, they came from Tamiya but I am 99% sure that someone said Ride was the ones making them for Tamiya. The treadlife on them was awesome too. I remember running tires that were "showing cords" that were almost as good as sticker tires. I think the year I finished 2nd at Nats I went thru a total of like 3-sets of tires, and that includes 5 days of practice from 8am-4pm every day. I don't think I ran "sticker" tires in any of the qualifiers or the mains. They were very consistent.

As far as Tamiya sedan tires I always found them to be really comparable to CS27s.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
I know that no one really knows me in the Tamiya world, but I wanted to express my opinion about tires on the F1 car.
Rubbers, while they are not as much traction as a foam, remove a lot of problems that foam tires can create.
Pros of Foam tires are...........
-High traction
-Stable cars
Cons...
-The tires can chunk, then have to be replaced.
- Have to be turned down to work in high traction environments.
- After wear there can be stagger in the tires, which then need to be trued.
- They wear out fast.

Rubber tires, while they do not create as much traction, have no cons other than less traction. They will not need to be put a on a tire truer. A special arbor does not have to be purchased for the truer.

If anyone feels I am off on any point here, please let me know. I have raced a LONG time and feel rubber tires might get more people into the F1 game. I sold my 103 a while back. The car was Dialed at my home track. I wish I would have kept it to go to Cali a week ago. Until the rules go back to rubber tires, I will not likely get another one as much as I love open wheel racing.

-
Although another "foam" con was people would use a non-Tamiya donut and mount it on the rim making it look like a Tamiya (it has happened). Which is why I was 1/2 heartedly joking about handout F1 tires. Also truing down to nothing to me is a waste, plain and simple.

The F103GT was a cool idea and not too diffucult to setup. Too bad it is RIP.

Maybe pre-mount rubbers would be the way to go if they offered 3 different types for the front and rear for the new F1 racing. Seeing Tamiya and how they work things, I am sure there will eventually be another round of rubber F1 realeases. . .
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
MD
Tech Champion

I would like to see Tamiya allow all Tamiya F1 Chassises. I had an 103, then a 201, and then a F103gt. It's difficult for me to invest in another one with Tamiya changing chassises so often. They are the neatest and most realistic cars on the track.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I would like to see Tamiya allow all Tamiya F1 Chassises. I had an 103, then a 201, and then a F103gt. It's difficult for me to invest in another one with Tamiya changing chassises so often. They are the neatest and most realistic cars on the track.
You can run any F1 chassis in the class....

F101-F104.

The F201 isn't an F1 car It's an open-wheel sedan
Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
You can run any F1 chassis in the class....

F101-F104.

The F201 isn't an F1 car It's an open-wheel sedan
What would be nice is if in allowing all the chassis types, they also allowed parts interchangability. As in , if the part is able to be bolted on the chassis with no modification and maintains its intended function then it should be legal to run. It would be interesting to see the combinations that would come out of relaxing the rules a bit. Not to mention you might se more people dusting off their old stuff and coming out to race.
As far as the 201, not even close to being a sedan. it really drives different than anything else out there. When the car was set up right, it was a blast to drive. When it was even a little off, it was a heaping pile.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
MD
Tech Champion

F201 was a different type touring car. I wanted to run my F103GT with an F1 body, and I contacted Tamiya they wouldn't give me and a parts list and told me too buy an F103. I didn't understand why they wouldn't give the rear axle part numbers or any part numbers. I think the steering knuckles are different and the rear axle system. i didn't pursue it, which was my fault. According to the TCS rules on the website the cars allowed were versions of the F103. The F103GT was a lot of fun in the parking lot. But, it's collecting dust now.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
F201 was a different type touring car. I wanted to run my F103GT with an F1 body, and I contacted Tamiya they wouldn't give me and a parts list and told me too buy an F103. I didn't understand why they wouldn't give the rear axle part numbers or any part numbers. I think the steering knuckles are different and the rear axle system. i didn't pursue it, which was my fault. According to the TCS rules on the website the cars allowed were versions of the F103. The F103GT was a lot of fun in the parking lot. But, it's collecting dust now.
Well here is a link to the manuals, maybe you can look through them and see what you might need.

Tamiya Inc Manuals

Click on the left ledgend, the line under the one that starts with "M"

BTW: Tamiya USA has only one person in customer service that is a advid RC racer, the rest are all modelers, That is possible what happened.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:32 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Tamiyaracer - Thanks for the help. Your right I should have contacted someone else at Tamiya. I would like to see an experiment with the F1 cars with rubber tires.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Check out the new Tamiya goodies.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/hobbyshow/index.htm
Old 09-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Finally a new 1/20 F1 model car and RC body from Tamiya . When is it going to be available here ?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default New Tamiya Body

if my google search is correct, here's the next body coming out..

COROLLA Axio apr GT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.