Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I just gotta say it again.

As far as some(one) feeling that the U.S. may not be represented by the best we have to offer, the winner of F1 at the TCS Nats last year DID also go on to win the Tamiya Worlds in Japan.

And again, congratulations Sean Wu.
That pretty much makes you the man!

Deal with that.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Hey why don't they race the Daytona 500 in Phoenix this year or the Indy 500 at Charlotte? The Tamiya Raceway, for those who haven't been there yet is an institution.... like Fenway Park or Lambeau Field. It's a place you've got to race at least once in your life. People from all over the world travel there just to have an opportunity to say they raced there.
It took me thirteen years to win my first Tamiya National Championship. Always great competition from most parts of the country/Canada showing up to do battle. Some have the rare opportunity to win on their first attempt. Others have been trying for a decade or more.... trying to fulfill that dream.
As far as representing the US at the Tamiya World Championships, it in itself is an honor. It is my understanding that the US is the only country that participates that doesn't allow sponsored drivers to compete. This is a great concept because it presents an opportunity for all of us guys who will never win the IIC, The ROAR On Road Nationals, Snow Birds or the Reedy Race of Champions. This event presents a very rare opportunity to travel half way across the world to race and represent your country FOR FREE! For some it may be the first and last time they ever venture out of the country! When you return you go back to your normal lives be it work or school. It is an opportunity presented to the regular guy to participate in something that will be a highlight in your life with memories that will never be forgotten. It's a rare reality for some... only a dream yet to be achieved by most.
Lets face it, Tamiya Japan invites drivers from other parts of the world to come and participate in an event with rules and equipment that is totally stacked in the favor of all of the drivers from Japan. It's really the Tamiya Japanese National Championships that they invite outsiders participate in to call it a "World Championship".LOL But understand this, not one of us who have had the honor and privilege of going to this event, representing the US and Tamiya USA would ever turn it down. Those of us who have joined this small, unique fraternity of drivers are proud of our accomplishment. It's a small piece of place and time that can be shared and compared amongst ourselves and to help our future National Champs improve their odds of winning the BIG ONE like Robert Ito, Raymond Flores and most recently (2013) Sean Wu have done.
It's that time of the year us TCS diehards start preparing for the that opportunity of a lifetime we all dream about, so get busy! This may be YOUR YEAR!!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Leester
Hey why don't they race the Daytona 500 in Phoenix this year or the Indy 500 at Charlotte? The Tamiya Raceway, for those who haven't been there yet is an institution.... like Fenway Park or Lambeau Field. It's a place you've got to race at least once in your life. People from all over the world travel there just to have an opportunity to say they raced there.
It took me thirteen years to win my first Tamiya National Championship. Always great competition from most parts of the country/Canada showing up to do battle. Some have the rare opportunity to win on their first attempt. Others have been trying for a decade or more.... trying to fulfill that dream.
As far as representing the US at the Tamiya World Championships, it in itself is an honor. It is my understanding that the US is the only country that participates that doesn't allow sponsored drivers to compete. This is a great concept because it presents an opportunity for all of us guys who will never win the IIC, The ROAR On Road Nationals, Snow Birds or the Reedy Race of Champions. This event presents a very rare opportunity to travel half way across the world to race and represent your country FOR FREE! For some it may be the first and last time they ever venture out of the country! When you return you go back to your normal lives be it work or school. It is an opportunity presented to the regular guy to participate in something that will be a highlight in your life with memories that will never be forgotten. It's a rare reality for some... only a dream yet to be achieved by most.
Lets face it, Tamiya Japan invites drivers from other parts of the world to come and participate in an event with rules and equipment that is totally stacked in the favor of all of the drivers from Japan. It's really the Tamiya Japanese National Championships that they invite outsiders participate in to call it a "World Championship".LOL But understand this, not one of us who have had the honor and privilege of going to this event, representing the US and Tamiya USA would ever turn it down. Those of us who have joined this small, unique fraternity of drivers are proud of our accomplishment. It's a small piece of place and time that can be shared and compared amongst ourselves and to help our future National Champs improve their odds of winning the BIG ONE like Robert Ito, Raymond Flores and most recently (2013) Sean Wu have done.
It's that time of the year us TCS diehards start preparing for the that opportunity of a lifetime we all dream about, so get busy! This may be YOUR YEAR!!
Hi Lee,
Do you know what those folks won when they became WORLD CHAMPION?
I have always wondered?
Steve.
HAPPY HYUNDAI HOLIDAYS!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Okay.

The sensitive egos can not read between the lines... I get it.

My question (it was a question, people) was:

Are we, the Tamiya US racers - racing community - sending our best Tamiya CARPET racers to Japan to WIN the Tamiya Worlds?

I never said that the guys that won the U.S. Champs didn't deserve it or work for it.

The worst that anyone can accuse me of is being a patriot.

I'm ok w/ that
Old 12-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SMcD
Okay.

Are we, the Tamiya US racers - racing community - sending our best Tamiya CARPET racers to Japan to WIN the Tamiya Worlds?

I never said that the guys that won the U.S. Champs didn't deserve it or work for it.

I'm ok w/ that
Where would those racers come from?
Where in the US do they race with no tire truing or doping on brand new carpet?
Don't think it would matter honestly.

Some of our quickest So Cal F1 carpet munchers were on the asphalt at this, and last years TCS Nats as well as at least a couple established out of towners that did run very strong.

Pretty sure that the surface isn't the main factor.

2 out of the 4 of us that went did very well.
All 4 of us had our cars working well also.

The one, Julian, who finished on the podium has only been racing a couple years.

The other, Nathan, has carpet experience to speak of and is also not from So Cal.

Go figure.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

All good. Personally I would like to see more TCS world champions w/ our U.S. flag on display. My apologies
Old 12-22-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Okay.

I'm ok w/ that
We forgive you for your condescending attitude as we do get it and just stating the facts, not sensitive ego's. As has been stated before, you will not find a carpet track in the US that can prepare you for the Tamiya Worlds. Brand new, unprepped, no tire sauce allowed. So who are these "best" Tamiya carpet racers who would have a better chance at winning the worlds ? Any podium a big race like Snowbirds, ROAR Carpet Nats or IIC ? Oh, and a small point to make about the 2013 Tamiya Worlds Champion in F1, Mr. Sean Wu. I know him, I have raced against him and he has very little carpet racing experience yet he won the Tamiya Nats and the Tamiya Worlds. There goes that thinking......

Panda
Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just to throw fuel on the fire (and I like doing that), you know the Super Bowl is played in a different city every year.

But, every year the TCS Nationals is held in California, and we all know that going in. I don't know Tamiya's business model, but I'm willing to bet RC is not their top money maker. Looks more like plastic models are. Be thankful there's a TCS series and go run it. HPI used to have something similar, but you don't see that anymore, do ya?

I do have one observation, 4 of the TCS races are driving distance of New York City; Enfield, CT, Horsham, PA, Jackson, NJ, and Maryland (sorry, don't know the city). It would be cool to have a point series among these 4 races to crown an Eastern US TCS champion! Not sure how it would work or even if it would, but it's worth kicking around.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All good. Personally I would like to see more TCS world champions w/ our U.S. flag on display. My apologies
Why are you apologizing?
In this day and age with the damn Political Correctiness Police
chastizing everything from people wishing anyone a Happy or Merry
(insert your favorite Holiday) to Oh you can call someone stupid
because thats not nice and they'll be offended (even tho they did something they deserved to be called stupid or even worse!)
I applaud your Nationalism as well as many others on here do also
Go ahead and tell me that the Japanese who race there don't
wave their Flag at events like these!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml

I do have one observation, 4 of the TCS races are driving distance of New York City; Enfield, CT, Horsham, PA, Jackson, NJ, and Maryland (sorry, don't know the city). It would be cool to have a point series among these 4 races to crown an Eastern US TCS champion! Not sure how it would work or even if it would, but it's worth kicking around.
This would be a really cool idea, maybe the 3 sponsors could get together
and offer a big trophy or special prize for this
I say three because Horsham and Jackson is sponsored by our
(Here comes the plugs!, )
Brownies Hobbies of Staten Island, NY
And Enfield, CT is RC Madness with Middle River Hobbies of Middle River, MD
being the third sponsor
And like you said at those 4 races its pretty much the same drivers
who complete the circuit
Old 12-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Why are you apologizing?
In this day and age with the damn Political Correctiness Police
chastizing everything from people wishing anyone a Happy or Merry
(insert your favorite Holiday) to Oh you can call someone stupid
because thats not nice and they'll be offended (even tho they did something they deserved to be called stupid or even worse!)
I applaud your Nationalism as well as many others on here do also
Go ahead and tell me that the Japanese who race there don't
wave their Flag at events like these!
Thank you
Old 12-23-2014, 10:22 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Hmmm....This could be a very interesting idea...Let me think about how to do this.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
Hmmm....This could be a very interesting idea...Let me think about how to do this.
I think it could work out. up for a road trip if it is happening
Old 12-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jiml
Just to throw fuel on the fire (and I like doing that), you know the Super Bowl is played in a different city every year.

But, every year the TCS Nationals is held in California, and we all know that going in. I don't know Tamiya's business model, but I'm willing to bet RC is not their top money maker. Looks more like plastic models are. Be thankful there's a TCS series and go run it. HPI used to have something similar, but you don't see that anymore, do ya?

Originally Posted by FMW
Maybe even make it a trip winning Championship.

A paid trip for that/those class winners to come to TCS Nats Finals and give it a go for another tirp to Japan.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by torg
The surface is different every weekend... .

hot, cold, humid, dry, windy, dusty, pollen, sunny, overcast, marine layer in the A.M.- sun in the P.M. too sticky, not sticky enough, soot from wildfires, rained heavy this week, hasn't rained for months... everyone running sauce X today so your sauce Y won't work, Rod sprayed today so it's super sticky, Rod sprayed last week so there is a maple buildup this week Got your car dialed in last weekends controlled practice? tough, it's 20F cooler this weekend... etc. etc.

That's at least my experience, I could be wrong...
Track is definitely changing all the time, but i do agree during racing, the surface are pretty consistent. However, my experience with Tamiya is that it does not require chasing the track nearly as much as some others such as West Coast in the old days and TQ when a new layout is set. I think Tamiya really do not have too much local knowledge to exploit compared to other tracks. So far I've almost never changed much from basic setup since 2010. We do of course change shock oil based on temperature and shock angles/ camber based on traction. Also, at nationals, Tamiya track have very consistent traction and surface characteristics year to year due to people practicing before nationals and same tires and similar sauce being used. I've never even changed springs all this time. It is still up to the driving, setup knowledge and of course electronics performance mostly to be honest. Local's advantage is in muscle memory and knowledge of the fast line etc.

I think it would be neat if next time the Nationals is held at another track. I would like the traveling racing experience. That is if Fred is willing to pay for it to be ran else where But really, stop whining about local advantage…. It is what it is. American drivers have definite disadvantage at Japan but nobody whined about it and had great times. How come no one said anything about holding Tamiya Worlds in America using our rules instead? If you are competitive RC enthusiast and have set eyes on winning that Japan trip, you should also commit to showing up for practice at Tamiya track even if you're not a local. I guarantee people here are willing to help you out and share many Tamiya track local knowledge as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.