Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default High noses vs. low: the skinny

Originally Posted by 2CARTEAM
So do you think the F310B has more steering than the Lotus? How would you compare them to each other? Also what is your preference? I belive the M is also discontinued is it not. Thanks for the input.....
All of Tamiya's high-nose bodies tend to "push"(understeer) more than the low noses for a given setup. One tuning trick to dial-in for a loose track always was to put on a high-nose body. I was toying with putting on an old Ferrari 412T1 for the A-main, and wonder if I should have.
The F310B definitely has less steering than the Lotus. That nice big rear wing plants it if your setup is right. The Lotus / "C-type" (C for Castrol Lotus) is known as one of the best bodies for steering response. I think most of the guys in the A main were running Lotuses (Loti?). Maybe we were all wishing it was "happy hour"--the time when the temp drops just enough and the shadows lengthen, and the grip becomes fantastic.
If anyone is keen to run the M-type because it's an admittedly good-looking body, I'd recommend running a better rear wing, like the old F310B wing (Tamiya part no. 0005669). I actually want to get hold of an M-type and paint it like a modern F1, so I hope they're not discontinued yet. I have some 3 Racing wings from Japan that'll look really great with it.
Thanks for asking!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goingfast
5th not bad....remember there alway more race to come...
Chris you got pm
But for Chris... that's like the thousand times already... JAS KIDDING CHRIS... Jasper and Izzy wanted to say hi... we miss you guys!

Congrats to all the winners... Timmy... Christian... Lee... Craig... nice going guys!
Old 06-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default F1 Bodies / 8 min mains

In regards to all that responded to the F1 body question, thank you very much. I now have a better understanding of what is what, now to the web.

Regarding 8 minute mains, I am a BCR regular, I like their format;

F1 and RCGT are 7 minute qualifiers and 7 minute mains all others are 5 minutes for both qualifiers and mains.

Tom, based on the F1 "A" main (which was a spectacular race to watch) 9 minutes would of clinched it for you.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default F1 Bodies

Does anyone know the difference between Tamiya part# 50570 and 50571?
These are "Hogan Lola T94/00 Honda body kits. Has anyone driven with this body, thoughts? Also what body type is this considered, C, M, T etc.? Worth the investment?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you all for not taking me to task for daring to offer a suggestion or criticism of the TCS Series. It's a great Series, but for years it has had a big boil on it's nose. We actually can end this now, I mean right now. The first step has been taken with the establishment of an rpm ceiling. The unfortunate thing is that they picked some numbers out of thin air that made no sense at all. This year it was 13.5k and last year it was 15k.

Where did those numbers come from???? I asked regarding the 15k limit and was told it came from testing. What testing??? Okay, let me tell you what I was told by the person who said he did the testing. The sample he tested was three, I repeat, THREE motors. No wonder the rpm limits were so dumb.

The way to end this Silver can junk is to establish a very tight rpm limit of 12.8k for those venues that choose to run a limit and a no limit at all to the venues who don't have the manpower to impose one. At one time a no limit was pretty unfair, but thanks to Doc Mertes and his Red Dot motors, anyone who wants a fast motor can purchase one at a very reasonable price. Also there are number of other guys around the country that build fast motors.

To the brushless advocates, I wasn't ruling that out as a solution. But, I've never owned one and will only admit to having touched one once.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Crashby;6000606]Granpa,

I am assuming that this was not a hand out motor race and if so, how did they do the tech on the motors? Will the Nationals be a hand out motor event again this year?

They checked rpms of the winners of heats or any motor that they deemed too fast, I think. As far as the Nationals, the rumors I'm hearing is that it will be similar to last year. I know that Chuck Leslie has offered to test all of the motors and weed out the "duds" and the "hot" motors. I don't think that will happen tho, it makes way too much sense.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
The way to end this Silver can junk is to establish a very tight rpm limit of 12.8k for those venues that choose to run a limit and a no limit at all to the venues who don't have the manpower to impose one.
I appreciate the 13.5k rule because it gives guys like me who do honest break-in bushing/brush methods a level playing field to compete. 12.8k might seem a little low because when I broke in 4 motors for Trackside I had them at 11.9k, 12.1k, 12.4k and 13.2k. My higher motors from the past usually have been around 13.3k range which might be a little too close to the 13.5k rule. Some motors will speed up as they get broken in. I am sure there might be some guys who might get a faster motor and don't own a dyno to check it. Putting them and Tamiya in the uncomfortable spot for a DQ for honest methods if the rule changed to 12.8k.

No Limit venues is just an excuse not to check or promote someone elses motor . . .
Old 06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Granpa,
I know that Chuck Leslie has offered to test all of the motors and weed out the "duds" and the "hot" motors.
Duds are pretty common...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Master

Nice pictures guys of last weekends race, it put me in withdrawls...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Downtempo, nice shots.
Thanks for gettin mine in there.

Goinfast, like seein your old F1 hittin the apex?

This is the most fun I've had in a real long time.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Took me a while to find these...

TCS 2009 Regional Race #146 Results..
http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/race.php?tcs_race-id=89
Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

I would like to thank the Tamiya crew for an awesome program. Although I was a little bummed during the concourse judging nearly picked the Danica Patrick design of my F103... and the crowd was cheering for it to win. Is there some sort of controversy to it?

Just kidding. Anyway, I had a blast and I did win one of my qualifying. Hope to do it again.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thank you all for not taking me to task for daring to offer a suggestion or criticism of the TCS Series. It's a great Series, but for years it has had a big boil on it's nose. We actually can end this now, I mean right now. The first step has been taken with the establishment of an rpm ceiling. The unfortunate thing is that they picked some numbers out of thin air that made no sense at all. This year it was 13.5k and last year it was 15k.

Where did those numbers come from???? I asked regarding the 15k limit and was told it came from testing. What testing??? Okay, let me tell you what I was told by the person who said he did the testing. The sample he tested was three, I repeat, THREE motors. No wonder the rpm limits were so dumb.

The way to end this Silver can junk is to establish a very tight rpm limit of 12.8k for those venues that choose to run a limit and a no limit at all to the venues who don't have the manpower to impose one. At one time a no limit was pretty unfair, but thanks to Doc Mertes and his Red Dot motors, anyone who wants a fast motor can purchase one at a very reasonable price. Also there are number of other guys around the country that build fast motors.

To the brushless advocates, I wasn't ruling that out as a solution. But, I've never owned one and will only admit to having touched one once.
No one flamed you because you are making too much sense. My only concern with a 12.8 is that, in theory, the motor should get better the more you race it. What if you go on the track at 12.8 but when you come off the track it's at 13.0? Would you have a break in factor of 1%? If you are over 12.8 by more than 1%, your run does not count.

I also think another good idea is to have everyone swap motors for each qualifier and the main. You know, reach into a box and blindly pull out a motor and that is what goes in your car. Start off with testing a bunch so they are all around 12.8 but then everyone has the luck of the draw for each run. After your run, the motor gets checked, if it's over more than the 1% rule, the run does not count and the motor is replace with another 12.8 for the next round. Of course, I am talking about the Nationals. Most regional events would not have the manpower to do all of the testing after each round but some might. The trick would be that the same motor tester that tested the motors going into the pool, would need to be the same tester at the race.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by eeyan
But for Chris... that's like the thousand times already... JAS KIDDING CHRIS... Jasper and Izzy wanted to say hi... we miss you guys!

Congrats to all the winners... Timmy... Christian... Lee... Craig... nice going guys!
Actually... he didnt get 5th.. i did.. lol
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SCD WldCrd
I would like to thank the Tamiya crew for an awesome program. Although I was a little bummed during the concourse judging nearly picked the Danica Patrick design of my F103... and the crowd was cheering for it to win. Is there some sort of controversy to it?

Just kidding. Anyway, I had a blast and I did win one of my qualifying. Hope to do it again.
If you get a Danica action figure and put it next to someone elses car chewing out their driver then you'll win for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.