Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree829Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
i had a thought about this... we had a fairly short day (both days actually). maybe Fred can add 1 or 2 rounds for the spec guys so they can get more track time? keep that class going since they ARE the future of TCS.
Thats an awesome idea Chris!!! Like two extra rounds for spec and 2 extra rounds for MINI
Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default M05 Pro

Did anyone get a chance to look at how well the Orion Lipos would fit in the M05, or if there was enough room for the power leads? Will it work as-designed, or will the batteries have to be taped in?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I've got one in front of me....Orion fits perfect...but I tape...always have. Let me see what it looks like with the included battery holds. Looks like it would be a tight fit with leads and the kit holders. But the M03 batter holders fit perfect so..

Shakedown this weekend against a very fast M03
Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Did anyone get a chance to look at how well the Orion Lipos would fit in the M05, or if there was enough room for the power leads? Will it work as-designed, or will the batteries have to be taped in?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think you can use the M-03 style holders.

http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....log&Itemid=148

scroll to the bottom
Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

To Doc and RobK. The motors I did were run at 2v and the water was changed every 15 to 20 sec so that the water was relatively clean during break in. The hard brush motors had the water changed as soon as it started to grey. Nothing special and something any racer can do. Using pumice in the water is not what most racers would do or even think of. I sure as heck didn't. You guys are getting higher #s, but most people will probably see the ones I got. Here again, special knowledge known to but a few.

You may have missed an earlier post of mine, but if the 13.5k limit was reasonable, why was it that 2 motor builders had all ten of the racers in the A Main for Mini???? Shouldn't happen right???

I may not have proposed this clearly enough, but what I'd like to see is a lower rpm limit where there' no room for any "special" tricks or no limit at all. If you're going to give the "tuners" some room, 15k @5v is better cause it's a lot easier to build a 15k motor than a 13.5k one.

Doc, will e-mail in a day or two. Have a couple of more ?? for you.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
To Doc and RobK. The motors I did were run at 2v and the water was changed every 15 to 20 sec so that the water was relatively clean during break in. The hard brush motors had the water changed as soon as it started to grey. Nothing special and something any racer can do. Using pumice in the water is not what most racers would do or even think of. I sure as heck didn't. You guys are getting higher #s, but most people will probably see the ones I got. Here again, special knowledge known to but a few.

You may have missed an earlier post of mine, but if the 13.5k limit was reasonable, why was it that 2 motor builders had all ten of the racers in the A Main for Mini???? Shouldn't happen right???

I may not have proposed this clearly enough, but what I'd like to see is a lower rpm limit where there' no room for any "special" tricks or no limit at all. If you're going to give the "tuners" some room, 15k @5v is better cause it's a lot easier to build a 15k motor than a 13.5k one.

Doc, will e-mail in a day or two. Have a couple of more ?? for you.
I just wanted to let you know what I have been doing, since it's about as easy as falling off of a log. I don't do anything else besides the break in, and the motors are close.

As far as the 2 motor dudes, is it that the motors were in the right cars, or is it just the motors? I wasn't there, so you'll have to decide.

ps. I still hate these stupid motors.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
I just wanted to let you know what I have been doing, since it's about as easy as falling off of a log. I don't do anything else besides the break in, and the motors are close.

As far as the 2 motor dudes, is it that the motors were in the right cars, or is it just the motors? I wasn't there, so you'll have to decide.

ps. I still hate these stupid motors.
Yes and no.

Disagree with you on these stupid motors, cause I love them. They are cheap, reliable and tons of fun to tinker with.

Also, you'll have to give us the details of your pumice and water break in. Your method gives about 500 rpms more than the usual hook it up to a power supply, dump it in water and run it till the brushes seat.

What grit pumice do you use??? Where do you get it??? What are the proportions of the pumice to the water??? What voltage and how long do you run it??? How do you get all rid of all the pumice that get's impacted into the windings???

My point was, set the RPM limit low enough so that we can eliminate the "tricks". If we don't, the guy with the best motor program at that moment will dominate. If that's okay with you, it's okay with me. There are a few people out there who know all the tricks, and to them, the rest of us are just sitting ducks.

My other point was, the 13.5k rpm limit, was to put it kindly, ill advised. To put it bluntly, it was about the most dum ass number anyone could pick. The TCS Series is terrific and Tamiya is a great company for putting it on. I've made a lot of friends and hopefully no enemies. Probably the main reason for me to attend these days is to meet up with the old friends and make new ones. However, some times, what's in the rules and not in the rules, leaves me a little incredulous. For example, there's nothing in there about what you can or cannot do to a 540J. Tons of stuff on batteries and chassis parts.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

What grit pumice do you use??? Where do you get it??? What are the proportions of the pumice to the water??? What voltage and how long do you run it??? How do you get all rid of all the pumice that get's impacted into the windings???
Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

I have access to Granpa power, but did not take advantage. I wanted to see what I could do without it, and that was "TQ" the C-main. I'm absolutely certain some of that was crappy driving, but just imagine if I had a 13.5k or a 13.8k which would've passed tech...ahhh...B-main fantasies...

IMO the system they used at Nats last year was best, only a bit labor intensive on Tamiya's part...need an extra 3 volunteers to distribute motors and watch for pocket magnets and shenanigans....and tomfoolery...and...?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stitchy
Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

I have access to Granpa power, but did not take advantage. I wanted to see what I could do without it, and that was "TQ" the C-main. I'm absolutely certain some of that was crappy driving, but just imagine if I had a 13.5k or a 13.8k which would've passed tech...ahhh...B-main fantasies...

IMO the system they used at Nats last year was best, only a bit labor intensive on Tamiya's part...need an extra 3 volunteers to distribute motors and watch for pocket magnets and shenanigans....and tomfoolery...and...?
whoa whoa... PG thread dude.... kids read this stuff. no mentions of "pocket magnets" please.

brandon.. why would u want 2 more rounds... you want 2 more chances to fail? YAH I SAID IT...... we're in that boat together. the S.S. failure.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hebiki
whoa whoa... PG thread dude.... kids read this stuff. no mentions of "pocket magnets" please.

brandon.. why would u want 2 more rounds... you want 2 more chances to fail? YAH I SAID IT...... we're in that boat together. the S.S. failure.
FAILURE is right!

But the good part is your a glutten for punnishment. You laugh about it, pick yourself up off the ground, shake it off, and always come back for more (even though you threaten that this will be your last run at it)
Old 07-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks to the Tamiya crew for hosting a great TCS regionals! Also kudos to the extended Tamiya family whose committment to Tamiya racing allows us to enjoy fun and free racing at the Tamiya test track every weekend!

This past race weekend was a blast for me. Never had I seen GT2 times SO dang close! The top 10 qualifiers had fastest lap times within 0.8 seconds of each other! Unfortunately, I just didn't have enough speed to keep up with the front-runners...

Just wanted to ask ppl on this thread: how many of you reduced the amount of new tires used for the whole race weekend due to the economy? I personally decided not to use any "new" tires the whole weekend. Unfortunately, I think it cost me one or two places on the grid, but at least I saved a bunch of money that I can use towards prepping for nationals coming up!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Tamiya cant possibly do away with silvercans, if they did, what would you guys bitch about?
I think Ive said it before, but why is anyone "building" a silver can motor
I will be the first to admit that there are 3 Red Dots in my possession presently, but all this stuff about tuning silvercans contradicts what that motor is about. And if you look at the guys that go really fast, there is way more to going fast in the silvercan classes than the motor itself. Eric Whippler is the prime example of this, to the best of my knowledge, he does not work any voodoo magic on his motors, but his chassis is so dialed its scary, insanely smooth drivetrain with lots of grip allows him to carry major speed through the corners. Just my buck and a quarter.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Nice F1 pics from TAMIYA USA RACEWAY. I didn't realize the track has some cracks and a bit rough. Will it be repaved sometime in the future?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You know it.....
There are a few people out there who know all the tricks, and to them, the rest of us are just sitting ducks.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gtfour93
Will it be repaved sometime in the future?
I think Fred mentioned it would be repaved before nats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.