Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree830Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Here is my .02 yen on the M-chassis class motors.

This new electric motor is perfect for installing into M-03 & M-04 chassis to participate in official Tamiya races. It provides more torque than the normal RS-540 type motor, and can sustain its high performance for long durations. This motor is also compatible with touring car chassis and is a great upgrade for beginner drivers to let them gradually adjust to higher performance motors. May be used with ITEM 53581 Racing Motor Brush and ITEM 53486 Commutator Cleaning Brush Set.
*Compatible Chassis: M-03, M-04, all touring car chassis
Old 12-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Just curious, and maybe I missed a post somewhere.... but are the rules posted on the Tamiya site current for 2016? Or have those not been posted yet?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Killing the class

Originally Posted by MD
As friend said to me, "It's a good way to kill a class."
No way! Every year there are a few new rules that "kill the class" yet the class continues. The best class at tcs mats this last year was TT02 spec gt with e30 body set. Mandate the body, chassis, motor, suspension, gearing, tires, Yada Yada Yada. The class was not killed. It had what, three heats?

So go ahead Eric and Fred, and build the rules to help guys like me who really can't get to the track very often, and give me a basic competitive motor setup and allow my chassis tuning and driving skill be the limiter rather than have me worry about getting the r1 works, or speed passion, or motors r us motor and wonder if my $135 was ill-spent and I really should have bought the blasto 9000 motor.

Rules even things out, and I appreciate them. Let's go and have some fun racing.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Just curious, and maybe I missed a post somewhere.... but are the rules posted on the Tamiya site current for 2016? Or have those not been posted yet?
Check the Tamiya site, yes they have been posted
Old 12-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EB Racer
No way! Every year there are a few new rules that "kill the class" yet the class continues. The best class at tcs mats this last year was TT02 spec gt with e30 body set. Mandate the body, chassis, motor, suspension, gearing, tires, Yada Yada Yada. The class was not killed. It had what, three heats?

So go ahead Eric and Fred, and build the rules to help guys like me who really can't get to the track very often, and give me a basic competitive motor setup and allow my chassis tuning and driving skill be the limiter rather than have me worry about getting the r1 works, or speed passion, or motors r us motor and wonder if my $135 was ill-spent and I really should have bought the blasto 9000 motor.

Rules even things out, and I appreciate them. Let's go and have some fun racing.
How many cars were entered in the tt02?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Anyone know where I can get a TCS approved cockpit interior for a Calsonic Nissan body?

Does it need to be Tamiya or can use any aftermarket product?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CSeils
Anyone know where I can get a TCS approved cockpit interior for a Calsonic Nissan body?

Does it need to be Tamiya or can use any aftermarket product?
Cockpits are available on the Tamiya website http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=rc+cockpit
Old 12-07-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Angry Mini had a good run ......

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Mini has been on life support over the past few years. Too many changes, too much expense. In years past guys would take their mini off the shelf, show up to Tcs, plop their mini on the track, have fun, be competitive, go home. Usually clubs don't race mini, the ones that do, keep it simple not expensive.

I am sure you could find a company to be "the motor" for $40-50, preferably less. Maybe Novak might come up with something at this price point. Could even be in a baggie with a header card. It does not have to be anything special, does not even have to have timing. Although you might be looking at a 13.5 or less with no timing.

If this stays the motor for mini, I will not run mini. If I cannot find a 2nd class to be competitive in, will skip the series all together.

WOW. I could not agree with you more Jeff. It has been a very fun series for almost 20 years I ran in TCS. Now my kids run and I just can't believe the mini class is forced to spend another $100 on a motor for a plastic car that is not even worth that much!!!!!. has anyone even thought about that at Tamiya. These cars ( 90% of them ) come with a perfectly good 540 motor and speed control. !!!!! the dyno rule worked great . Now we have overpowered, narrow, ill-handling cars that are hard to drive on high traction carpet, and numbers will drop for this class with this new rule. I want to run so bad but to spend that much on my car and my son's just to run 1 race this year. Does not make sense to me.

On a second note the GT PRO or whatever it is called is a joke. A cheap car that is a worse design than the TT01 Running a motor that will rip the cheap dogbones/ drive-train apart. I am sorry if this is not the way you all feel, but I hope I am not alone. Another car not even worth close to the cost of the brushless system to put in it.

I propose we ask our race directors to run a Mini exhibition class with rs-540 motors. Those who agree add your name to this post.

Mike Adelmeyer
Grant Adelmeyer
Old 12-07-2015, 08:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I thought the tt02 was the same thing as the tt01, but with the motor on the other side for some reason.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:11 AM
Tech Adept

Does anybody have a 61T Spur Gear for a Tamiya TT-01 chassis?

I bought this TT-01D Type E car used for $40 and it's starting to become more trouble than it's worth with all the tiny things it's missing. It was missing body post, chassis brace and now I need a spur gear.

It came with some spur that I know doesn't belong with this car.

I post this here because I know many SoCal TCS racers post here and are bound to have a few spare parts laying around.

I've had it with buying entire parts trees and now gear bag when all I need is one part.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

I don't believe the TT-02 is a worse car. It has fixed many of the problems from the TT-01 and TT-01 Type E, it couldn't be worse based on that.

I can understand how mandating a $100 brushless motor for Mini is pointless but why would a 21.5T brushless rip the done bones out of the TT-02 chassis?

Is this hearsay or actual experience? Since you make light of "plastic" chassis cars, it seems your bias towards your carbon chassis cars.

If the TCS only comes to your area once a year, then who's fault is that? Certainly not Tamiya's

If 2015's schedule is repeated, that's three races in my area, min driving distance 50 miles. The Tamiya factory track is about 46 miles from me and TQ is 51 miles.

Mini has been a popular class in the pass but I guess people are moving on. In general the hobby is a bunch of Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers anyway. Things don't stay popular forever.

I can see TT-02 GT Spec being a popular class. The 12 hour enduro turned out 14 teams for that race. All you have to do is buy a Type R version of the chassis and the Reedy Brushless, the included ESC will run that motor.

For about $250 without a body that's not horribly expensive. The Tamiya brushless compatible ESC's can be had for $20. They are creating a Porsche Super Cup actually since they are mandating the 2007 Super Cup body.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by djfourmoney
I don't believe the TT-02 is a worse car. It has fixed many of the problems from the TT-01 and TT-01 Type E, it couldn't be worse based on that.

I can understand how mandating a $100 brushless motor for Mini is pointless but why would a 21.5T brushless rip the done bones out of the TT-02 chassis?

Is this hearsay or actual experience? Since you make light of "plastic" chassis cars, it seems your bias towards your carbon chassis cars.

If the TCS only comes to your area once a year, then who's fault is that? Certainly not Tamiya's

If 2015's schedule is repeated, that's three races in my area, min driving distance 50 miles. The Tamiya factory track is about 46 miles from me and TQ is 51 miles.

Mini has been a popular class in the pass but I guess people are moving on. In general the hobby is a bunch of Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers anyway. Things don't stay popular forever.

I can see TT-02 GT Spec being a popular class. The 12 hour enduro turned out 14 teams for that race. All you have to do is buy a Type R version of the chassis and the Reedy Brushless, the included ESC will run that motor.

For about $250 without a body that's not horribly expensive. The Tamiya brushless compatible ESC's can be had for $20. They are creating a Porsche Super Cup actually since they are mandating the 2007 Super Cup body.
I live in the midwest , Wisconsin and for many surrounding states Illinois is where the tracks are for us ( Harbor Hobbies ) is my track about 80 miles. Never heard of a 12 hour enduro race with theses TT02 cars, but with 3 plus races in your area I see how it could be inviting. These cars however do touch a corner on a tight carpet track and dog bones pop out and gears have ground out. They just are inferior compared to a team associated TC4 or even any normal Tamyia sedan TA05, 06 ,TB04, etc.

The popular classes out hear are USGT. 21.5 with any chassis

VTA with 25.5 any sedan chassis as well.

The TT02 will not hold up, not adjustable enough, gear ratio cannot be obtained to compete, so from a Midwest point of view the car is useless.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike.a
I live in the midwest , Wisconsin and for many surrounding states Illinois is where the tracks are for us ( Harbor Hobbies ) is my track about 80 miles. Never heard of a 12 hour enduro race with theses TT02 cars, but with 3 plus races in your area I see how it could be inviting. These cars however do touch a corner on a tight carpet track and dog bones pop out and gears have ground out. They just are inferior compared to a team associated TC4 or even any normal Tamyia sedan TA05, 06 ,TB04, etc.

The popular classes out hear are USGT. 21.5 with any chassis

VTA with 25.5 any sedan chassis as well.

The TT02 will not hold up, not adjustable enough, gear ratio cannot be obtained to compete, so from a Midwest point of view the car is useless.

I have had some experience with the TT01, TT01E and TT02. We used the TT01 and TT01E in a junior high r/c club I work with. The big weakness of the TT01 was the steering uprights. The TT01E is better. The steering upright was a better design. But, we recommended aluminum uprights. THe TT02 has steering uprights very similar to, if not the same as, the TT01. Some friends and I ran the 4 hour enduro at Hobbytown USA in Lake in the Hills, IL. in 2014. The TT02 was used there on a tight track and the steering uprights were constantly breaking. These are decent handling cars. I think the new spec class is a good idea. But, I think the motor requirement will kill it in most places, because the TCS for most people is one race. The best inexpensive touring car that Tamiya made years and years ago was the TL01. It was very durable. The MF-01X is very similar to the TL01.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:59 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, GT Spec Novice, & 1/12 GT rules remain unchanged for 2016.

Mini motor rules have been updated. The updated rules were updated at the request and feedback of the regional race sites. Brownies Hobbies, The Track and the HobbyPlex provided great insight into the new Mini motor rules.

F-1 Motor rules are still under review. A change is coming...

GT-Pro Spec was a huge success at the Tamiya TCS Finals. Based on that success, we made it a regular season class. We are still reviewing Reedy 21.5 & 17.5 motors to see which wind is best for the class.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW
GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, GT Spec Novice, & 1/12 GT rules remain unchanged for 2016.

Mini motor rules have been updated. The updated rules were updated at the request and feedback of the regional race sites. Brownies Hobbies, The Track and the HobbyPlex provided great insight into the new Mini motor rules.

F-1 Motor rules are still under review. A change is coming...

GT-Pro Spec was a huge success at the Tamiya TCS Finals. Based on that success, we made it a regular season class. We are still reviewing Reedy 21.5 & 17.5 motors to see which wind is best for the class.
Hello Fred, while I appreciate the goal to level the playing field for all racers the decision to move to the Reedy Mach 3 motor is one which I find a huge surprise. Although I've already gone out a purchased a few new Reedy's to prepare for the 2016 season. Could you expand on the rationale to move to a one motor brushless supplier versus a standard speed control / motor that comes in the Mini RTR kits? We all know the voodoo that many suspected was created with the silver can motors but at the end of the day, a motor speedo combo that comes with the RTR kits would have made more sense to promote new participants.

My boys are 6 and 8 years old and race in the Novice class under TCS guidelines using the TT-01. I selected this class for them as the motor/speedo congo is perfect to introduce new racers to racing.

I've known and raced with John Brown of Brownies Hobbies for over 25 years. He has been a strong advocate to promote fun in racing a provide a cost effective solution to minimize the cost for us racers. I can see why he would want to have just one brand of motor for Mini, although I'm again surprised John would not advocate for a speedo/motor platform that is consistent with what comes with the RTR kits or one that is consistent with a "Tamiya" motor platform. Why no consideration to use the motors which the Tamiya World Championships uses to better prepare US racers as well as make it cheaper overall for everyone.

In any event, may of us would be interested to better understand the decision, this coming from a guy whose first RC car was the Holiday Buggy! I'm a loyal Tamiya fan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.