Search
Like Tree805Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
how about some pics of the chassis you ran?
Tamiya, Inc. has my car and will ship it back as soon as they're done with it. RC World had it for a while prior to handing it off to Tamiya. For the most part it is just a stock TA06R with a titanium screw set, ball diff, spool, and DCJ's.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-image.jpg  
Old 11-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Tamiya, Inc. has my car and will ship it back as soon as they're done with it. RC World had it for a while prior to handing it off to Tamiya. For the most part it is just a stock TA06R with a titanium screw set, ball diff, spool, and DCJ's.
cool...i take it Tamiya is checking it for legality? or for promotional stuff?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by k_bojar
cool...i take it Tamiya is checking it for legality? or for promotional stuff?
I'm not sure what they will do with it. A little bit of what you said plus double checking the setup matches my chicken scratched setup sheet (I already see that I accidentally left a space blank)
Old 11-27-2015, 08:13 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Congrats Rodney! Pumped to see you get over there and show what we all knew you were capable of. It's a lot harder to go over there from the US and be close let alone competing for the win. Simply awesome job. Lucky or not, it was all in your hands when the opportunity was there, and you kicked butt buddy!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Great Job Rod! Now the Rodzilla name will forever be kept in the Tamiya hall of fame. And by the way, how come this year you decided not to use carbon chassis for the race? Weight distribution for the NiMH battery?
Old 11-28-2015, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Hi:
Congrats on making the most of your opportunity! Could you comment on a few things?

How was the gearing set - fixed or within a range?
Were all the esc's from Tamiya or could you use another brand?
Which Tamiya motor and did it have any timing adjustment?
What tires did the class run? Were they pre-built?
Which chassis was the most favorite in the class?
Why a ball diff over a gear diff?
The track looks very clean, so no traction compound right?
Stock (kit) roll bars?
What was the most popular body in class?
I didn't see old bodies (such as the NSX), did it need to be a current version?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2015, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FMW
Everyone can watch the MAIN events here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tamiya-live

The broadcast will be on Sunday November 22 (Japan Time) That would be late Saturday evening Pacific Standard time.
A question: are ustream programs a one-time only deal? Or can they be accessed at a later time?
Old 11-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F1Jet
Hi:
Congrats on making the most of your opportunity! Could you comment on a few things?

How was the gearing set - fixed or within a range?
Were all the esc's from Tamiya or could you use another brand?
Which Tamiya motor and did it have any timing adjustment?
What tires did the class run? Were they pre-built?
Which chassis was the most favorite in the class?
Why a ball diff over a gear diff?
The track looks very clean, so no traction compound right?
Stock (kit) roll bars?
What was the most popular body in class?
I didn't see old bodies (such as the NSX), did it need to be a current version?

Thanks
  • Gearing was fixed depending on the chassis you used. They all ended up being close to the same speed.
  • ESC had to be a Tamiya TBLE-01S, 02S, or 03S.
  • Motors could be either a TBLM-01S (16T) or TBLM-02S (15.5T with adjustable timing). KV limit was strictly set to 2600 and tested multiple times.
  • Tires were item 84357 White 10-Spoke with Reinforced Tires Type C (Medium Tire Inserts) and are also available here in the US. Once initial tire glue and trim reinforcement was completed we were only allowed to reglue the tires twice for the entire event and were given a two or three minute limit to finish. An official with a stop watch must be present.
  • Popular chassis in GT were the TB04, TA06, and Evo6.
  • Ball diff weighed less and would prove to be less finicky. We did not have much time to tune so I wanted to take gear diff fluid weights out of the equation. Besides, we've been using ball diffs for a long time and they work well.
  • No traction compound allowed on the track. Once your run was over and you were finished with marshaling, you would go to post tech to remove your tires. You had the option to clean them using the provided cleaner spray and paper towels before placing them in a box to return to the tech officials.
  • Stock sway bars on my car. I have the option set but it did not seem to fit on the TA06R with the 419 suspension.
  • Popular bodies were the NSX Concept, Subaru BRZ, and a few Lexus RC. There was a specific list of bodies that were legal for our class. Along with the previously mentioned bodies, the AMG SLS GT and Sumo Power GT-R were the only bodies allowed. Other classes had their own body rules.

I hope this helps. I would have attached the rules but the PDF file is too large for this thread.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
Great Job Rod! Now the Rodzilla name will forever be kept in the Tamiya hall of fame. And by the way, how come this year you decided not to use carbon chassis for the race? Weight distribution for the NiMH battery?
I have an evo6 but it was converted to an exo6. There were a couple of good baseline setups for the TA06 and I went with a minimalistic build considering I did not have much time after returning from Hawaii a couple weeks prior to leaving for Japan.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, who was the Filipino driver at the worlds? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

• Gearing was fixed depending on the chassis you used. They all ended up being close to the same speed.
  • ESC had to be a Tamiya TBLE-01S, 02S, or 03S.
  • Motors could be either a TBLM-01S (16T) or TBLM-02S (15.5T with adjustable timing). KV limit was strictly set to 2600 and tested multiple times.
  • Tires were item 84357 White 10-Spoke with Reinforced Tires Type C (Medium Tire Inserts) and are also available here in the US. Once initial tire glue and trim reinforcement was completed we were only allowed to reglue the tires twice for the entire event and were given a two or three minute limit to finish. An official with a stop watch must be present.
  • Popular chassis in GT were the TB04, TA06, and Evo6.
  • Ball diff weighed less and would prove to be less finicky. We did not have much time to tune so I wanted to take gear diff fluid weights out of the equation. Besides, we've been using ball diffs for a long time and they work well.
  • No traction compound allowed on the track. Once your run was over and you were finished with marshaling, you would go to post tech to remove your tires. You had the option to clean them using the provided cleaner spray and paper towels before placing them in a box to return to the tech officials.
  • Stock sway bars on my car. I have the option set but it did not seem to fit on the TA06R with the 419 suspension.
  • Popular bodies were the NSX Concept, Subaru BRZ, and a few Lexus RC. There was a specific list of bodies that were legal for our class. Along with the previously mentioned bodies, the AMG SLS GT and Sumo Power GT-R were the only bodies allowed. Other classes had their own body rules.

I hope this helps. I would have attached the rules but the PDF file is too large for this thread.
Wow, thanks for the info. They really do tech tightly. I like the ideal of fixed gearing, motors, tires, etc. for spec racing but it would not work here as half the fun of the hobby is tinkering to make things work better. Pit racing! Can you mention which device they used to check the motors?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

They had two custom devices to test KV along with instructions. One was open for racers to check their motors and the other was in post tech. The one that mattered was the one in post tech which read less than 10 lower than the open one. Plug in your motor and press a button.

I disagree with how that much tech would not work here in the states. They managed to run a pretty tight ship and once you get a rhythm for the procedures, it wasn't all that bad. The results were amazingly close racing in all classes which places an emphasis on driving and tuning. I watched Leonard from Singapore put in a flawless run in formula one only to lift a couple corners for slower traffic. That dropped him down to 12th for that run...it was that close. If you dot out or flip, your hosed. It really is fun running that close and let's you hone in on perfect driving regardless of speed.

Last edited by rtypec; 11-29-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Speeds appeared to be pretty slow, similar to our 12hr rigs

Looked fun
Old 11-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yep, last year in F1, 1 lift, bobble or other and you lost many spots.
Each one of my heats had at least 1 of the above.

Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me why Tamiya just doesn't make their own B/L Motors instead of making us Mini Drivers buy another motor, from another company to suite their rules???
I'd rather support Tamiya than Reedy! Seems like another bad business decision in their upper eschelon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.