Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Why don't they just use the BL motors they already sell elsewhere? They've got a perfectly good horse in the barn, but they won't let us have it.

There must be an awful lot about international blah blah blah that I don't understand.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I agree...id much rather use the 16t Tamiya motor used at the nationals last year and then keep it for a few years. We ran silver cans forever at $15 each, now we're forced to buy a couple new motors every year.

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Can anyone tell me why Tamiya just doesn't make their own B/L Motors instead of making us Mini Drivers buy another motor, from another company to suite their rules???
I'd rather support Tamiya than Reedy! Seems like another bad business decision in their upper eschelon!
Old 11-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its insane
Its gotta be something like you said Jim
I originally heard that it was going to be the Tamiya 16t and then the any motor goes!
Core, it hasn't been a couple of years!
This started just last season!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Just say no! On motor rule for mini
Class!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:16 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

As friend said to me, "It's a good way to kill a class."

Last edited by MD; 12-03-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by MD
As friend said to me, "It's a "god" way to kill a class."
Amen!
Old 12-03-2015, 03:28 AM
MD
Tech Champion

I like the idea of the GT-Pro Spec Class, but again I would have to buy a specific motor. My ROAR legal 21.5 would not be acceptable. It makes a reasonably price class a lot more expensive.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I get the idea of the spec motor for the Mini class and the GT Pro Spec class, but it should have been a motor that is more economically priced. There are motors out there that are half the price that would have been perfect for these classes in keeping the costs down making it inviting for more people to run the classes. I think mini participation will be at an all time low and there will not be enough racers to even run the GT pro spec class.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Mini has been on life support over the past few years. Too many changes, too much expense. In years past guys would take their mini off the shelf, show up to Tcs, plop their mini on the track, have fun, be competitive, go home. Usually clubs don't race mini, the ones that do, keep it simple not expensive.

I am sure you could find a company to be "the motor" for $40-50, preferably less. Maybe Novak might come up with something at this price point. Could even be in a baggie with a header card. It does not have to be anything special, does not even have to have timing. Although you might be looking at a 13.5 or less with no timing.

If this stays the motor for mini, I will not run mini. If I cannot find a 2nd class to be competitive in, will skip the series all together.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:30 PM
MD
Tech Champion

The people making the decisions have to remember that for most people attending a TCS race, it's a one race series. They go to one regional since there are so few in a region of the U.S.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We run spec motors, bought for about $15 (cost) from one of many willing manufacturers. They're 17t, run at exactly 2200kv and are sensorless. (Tamiya's own 16t would be perfect here)

I know I've suggested this idea many, many times before and it's been explained to me, by Fred himself, why this can't work, but I think it's time for less can't and more of an honest interest in keeping a core class strong.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

When we had the silvercan mini class, 20-30 would show up on a regular basis. We also had a protest rule. If you were clearly that much faster, with stock gears, the protestor had to provide a new motor and got to destroy the old one. It did not happen much, was very effective when it wa used. Kept everyone the same and eliminated those custom motors.

When the new bl rules came, there was hemming and hawing. Eventually the bl proved better and the mini numbers dropped 65%.

10 years ago bl motors were given years of performance. Then every body had to buy the latest and greatest making the investment more expensive for a car that is less expensive than a bl system. Mini regulars could easily get 2-3 years out of a silvercan. A bl motor I am sure 5-10 years.Why can't you find a motor and stick with it or have it made. Noval did it for VTA.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That is why I am reluctant to go out and buy the reedy motor. In the last 3 years of mini there have been 3 different bl motor rules. Mini class grew to large numbers because of the consistent motor rule, sure there were tweaks but it was the same inexpensive motor. Bl motors were suppose to be the motor of the future that were going to be longer lasting that justified the higher cost. Every other week there is a latest and greatest motor. It is hard to justify paying $65-$90 for a motor when there are less expensive motors that can be used to keep the mini class a lower cost class. There is no guarantee this will be the motor next year or the local track will adopt this motor for their mini class.

That why the mini class is shrinking.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:34 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by f1larry
That is why I am reluctant to go out and buy the reedy motor. In the last 3 years of mini there have been 3 different bl motor rules. Mini class grew to large numbers because of the consistent motor rule, sure there were tweaks but it was the same inexpensive motor. Bl motors were suppose to be the motor of the future that were going to be longer lasting that justified the higher cost. Every other week there is a latest and greatest motor. It is hard to justify paying $65-$90 for a motor when there are less expensive motors that can be used to keep the mini class a lower cost class. There is no guarantee this will be the motor next year or the local track will adopt this motor for their mini class.

That why the mini class is shrinking.
Well said.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I know it was a burden on tech , but when we had the rpm
limited silver cans there was phenomenal racing. There was no clear advantage to fwd or rwd. Now...on carpet brushless m06s have a clear and undeniable advantage...while on asphalt the fwd shines. To me, the cars with the current brushless motors feel very much overpowered on all but huge flowing tracks. The wheelspin on fwd cars on carpet is downright dumb.

I'd love to have my son start racing mini as well as spec but to honest it does not feel like a class that he can get in to...just too much power and cost.

I'm not saying I won't race it...because tcs is just an awesome race series...just not going to pushing a second easy to get into class for my son.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.