Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree828Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by FMW
GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, GT Spec Novice, & 1/12 GT rules remain unchanged for 2016.

Mini motor rules have been updated. The updated rules were updated at the request and feedback of the regional race sites. Brownies Hobbies, The Track and the HobbyPlex provided great insight into the new Mini motor rules.

F-1 Motor rules are still under review. A change is coming...

GT-Pro Spec was a huge success at the Tamiya TCS Finals. Based on that success, we made it a regular season class. We are still reviewing Reedy 21.5 & 17.5 motors to see which wind is best for the class.

Hi Fred, sent you a pm.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Schedule is posted!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Why does Tamiya always schedule these things for Sundays???
Old 12-11-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Let's leave the f1 rules unchanged. The class works well with the rules we ran the last few years.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MD
I have had some experience with the TT01, TT01E and TT02. We used the TT01 and TT01E in a junior high r/c club I work with. The big weakness of the TT01 was the steering uprights. The TT01E is better. The steering upright was a better design. But, we recommended aluminum uprights. THe TT02 has steering uprights very similar to, if not the same as, the TT01. Some friends and I ran the 4 hour enduro at Hobbytown USA in Lake in the Hills, IL. in 2014. The TT02 was used there on a tight track and the steering uprights were constantly breaking. These are decent handling cars. I think the new spec class is a good idea. But, I think the motor requirement will kill it in most places, because the TCS for most people is one race. The best inexpensive touring car that Tamiya made years and years ago was the TL01. It was very durable. The MF-01X is very similar to the TL01.
Well the only places with something to hit besides other cars is the TQ track, but even then the track has been change and the apexes are nicer to cars now, shouldn't experience any breakage unless you count full throttle into the boards...

The other two races are at Tamiya own facility which like I said has fewer things if anything to hit.

Marvin's parking lot series is 10 mins walk from my house. I wouldn't consider it that tight either.

I never said purpose built chassis weren't better. Qatmix has raced his car an entire season and hasn't experience much breakage or gearing problems, runs 17.5T blinky with it ON CARPET.

Maybe with inexperienced drivers there might be a problem with breakage and improper gear mesh can cause problems.

The TT-01 was gear limited and while we can't run lower than what the Speed Gear Spurs allow on the TT-02 with the mounting holes and the pinions available which I think is 5.74; it's a level playing field and nobody else is going to get a FDR lower than that.

In Marvin's series there's no such restriction, just the change the motor mount and the proper spur and pinion to match the layout he uses which change.

It's my weapon of choice because I am self-limiting. Once the car is built and a few options added, the only consumables will be tires.

Same with what I do off-road since those tracks are within 25 mins of here, first rookie 2WD and then up to 17.5T Blinky with a DN01, self imposed limit, if I never run an A-main that's fine, I don't care, I'm there to have fun.

I'm not out to blow hundreds of dollars on the hobby, it will be where I set the budget and that's it, let the chips fall where they may.

So I have a bunch of plastic, entry level cars, big whoop.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:48 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djfourmoney
Well the only places with something to hit besides other cars is the TQ track, but even then the track has been change and the apexes are nicer to cars now, shouldn't experience any breakage unless you count full throttle into the boards...

The other two races are at Tamiya own facility which like I said has fewer things if anything to hit.

Marvin's parking lot series is 10 mins walk from my house. I wouldn't consider it that tight either.

I never said purpose built chassis weren't better. Qatmix has raced his car an entire season and hasn't experience much breakage or gearing problems, runs 17.5T blinky with it ON CARPET.

Maybe with inexperienced drivers there might be a problem with breakage and improper gear mesh can cause problems.

The TT-01 was gear limited and while we can't run lower than what the Speed Gear Spurs allow on the TT-02 with the mounting holes and the pinions available which I think is 5.74; it's a level playing field and nobody else is going to get a FDR lower than that.

In Marvin's series there's no such restriction, just the change the motor mount and the proper spur and pinion to match the layout he uses which change.

It's my weapon of choice because I am self-limiting. Once the car is built and a few options added, the only consumables will be tires.

Same with what I do off-road since those tracks are within 25 mins of here, first rookie 2WD and then up to 17.5T Blinky with a DN01, self imposed limit, if I never run an A-main that's fine, I don't care, I'm there to have fun.

I'm not out to blow hundreds of dollars on the hobby, it will be where I set the budget and that's it, let the chips fall where they may.

I am all for inexpensive R/C racing. I like spec classes where people can run on a more equal level without spending a lot of money. A very good example is the spec class racing that was done when the Slash came out and then people began to add for and more options and the class died in our area. I wish we had a touring spec class at our local tracks. I think GT-Pro Spec Class is a great idea, except for the brushless motor requirement, which adds a lot to the cost. What ever track is hosting one of the TCS races will need to have some TT02 steering uprights in stock.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by djfourmoney

It would be a fun class if you could run the kit rs540 motor and speed control, a cheap car on a budget. The part that is getting to me is investing around $200 on a motor speedo combo. and no 5.74 is not close for 21.5 USGT and 25.5 T/A class. These cars are geared around 4.2 - 3.6 final drive. Again if it is a budget class run the car the way it came and if a 540 motor is a problem dyno it, problem solved. I have 3 boys and buying them 3 of these ready to run ( tamiya style, silver can motor )cars would be great, but add another $500-$600 in 21.5 motor speedo combos is not possible for me. Mini was a budget class too. now I have 4 M03 Minis that will all need $400 in motors to run in a " budget class " as it reads in the TCS rules. I am sure you guys on the west coast are having fun with these cars and that is cool. If I ever get out there I will check it out.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a TRF419 that I'd like to run in a TCS event near my hometown this coming year. Am I stuck in GT-1? Do GT-1 bodies need full interiors to be "legal"?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djensen623
I have a TRF419 that I'd like to run in a TCS event near my hometown this coming year. Am I stuck in GT-1? Do GT-1 bodies need full interiors to be "legal"?
yea... any of the carbon plate chassis are only legal for GT1 (so any of the 'TRF' cars - ie, non-tub chassis cars)

no, you don't need a full interior to be legal.. only if you wanna win concourse do you need something like that
Old 12-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Why does Tamiya always schedule these things for Sundays???
Likely to allow all important Saturday practice before the big races.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tamiya 53983 Lightly Tuned brushed Motor 28T $27
Tamiya 54181 brushless motor 18T $52

It is stated that both of these motors are comparable in performance. Plus TAMIYA gets the money, not another company. If motors show tampering, then dqed for the event. So this could make it more appealing for Mike A to get his ffamily running 4 minis. I do like the opportunity to protest someone who is really fast to take his motor while providing them a new one. Plobably should only be done right after they raced That class.

FMW

You said mini rules were changed. I have not seen any changes plus the link to the pdf is broken. Maybe it is as simple as a Html date change.

F1 rule motor changes?
Old 12-18-2015, 04:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko

You said mini rules were changed. I have not seen any changes plus the link to the pdf is broken. Maybe it is as simple as a Html date change.

F1 rule motor changes?
M-Chassis Rules
Old 12-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Thumbs up

TEAM US 2015
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Championship Series-image.jpg  
Old 12-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

awkward....

what the heck is he looking at?!
Old 12-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
awkward....

what the heck is he looking at?!
Better question. Why are you handcuffed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.