Old 02-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
YGPM!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here's a heads up for those who will be racing in a silver can class at the TCS event on March 7th. You probably already know that the RPM limit at 5 volts will be 15,000 RPM. That's a nice motor, and as you many of you know, 15K's are kind of a specialty at Red Dot Motors. The problem is, I can only do so many because to be honest, I have to get ready for the race myself.

So, if you want a 15K red Dot for the TCS race on the 7th, please let me know right away so that I can get them all done ahead of time. No need to pay for shipping unless you want one in advance, because I can deliver them on the 6th. But I would really appreciate it if you would place your order and pay in advance.

Motors are $45 each and my PayPal ID is [email protected], same as my e-mail address. I'll be at the C this weekend of you don't have a PP account and want to give me cash.

This should be another AWESOME event in Frederick in just a few weeks!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Here's a heads up for those who will be racing in a silver can class at the TCS event on March 7th. You probably already know that the RPM limit at 5 volts will be 15,000 RPM.
So does this mean end of the autobahn for silvercans?

Just wanted to stirr the pot.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll be posting this on the TCS site tomorrow morning. Enjoy

2010 Tamiya 540-J Motor RPM and Amp Draw Rules for Regional races

The Tamiya 540-J motor is the spec motor for the GT-3, Mini and F-1 classes. The idea behind this spec motor is simple. The TCS Series wants to offer the least expensive way to race in a fun, fair and competitive racing environment. Racing with the 540-J is supposed to be simple and free of VODOO magic to go faster. The magic should come in your car set up and driving skill. As with all racing series, everyone is looking for the edge. The new 2010 RPM rules for regional races are in place to remove the VODOO.

Using the Much More motor checker the RPM and Amp draw of the 540-J motor will be measured using two values, 5.0 volts and 7.2 volts.

5.0 Volts
The 540-J motor may not exceed 12,500 rpm and 1.2 amps

7.2 Volts
The 540-J motor may not exceed 18,000 rpm and 1.2 amps

Our tests have shown that motors exceeding these values in either test have been clearly tampered with beyond breaking in the bushings and brushes. Your motor must pass both tests in order for it to pass and be legal.

The above numbers are meant to encourage running the motor right out of the box. The above numbers also take into consideration the motor brushes will eventually seat in and its rpm and amp draw will increase. RPM and AMP draw numbers exceeding these ranges are clearly suspect as they may only be obtained using rare earth magnets and fancy jigs to alter the motors magnetic field to advance its timing. This voodoo is what we want out of the TCS series and to promote a fair environment.

Note: Lubing the bushings and even using Comm drops is legal. It is up to the racer to make sure their motor wonít fail the RPM tests if their motor is inspected and tested after a race.

TCS host sites may use the TCS motor RPM and Amp draw rules at their respective regional event. It is up to the host site to supply the TECH officials a Much More motor checker to inspect faster driversí right after a heat or main race. The host site may use different numbers if it deems it necessary for their respective event, but the above numbers must be used as the bare minimum.

FM
Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Fred, YGPM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe
YGPM!
got it.. replied
Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW

The Tamiya 540-J motor is the spec motor for the GT-3, Mini and F-1 classes. The idea behind this spec motor is simple. The TCS Series wants to offer the least expensive way to race in a fun, fair and competitive racing environment. Racing with the 540-J is supposed to be simple and free of VODOO magic to go faster. The magic should come in your car set up and driving skill. As with all racing series, everyone is looking for the edge. The new 2010 RPM rules for regional races are in place to remove the VODOO.

Using the Much More motor checker the RPM and Amp draw of the 540-J motor will be measured using two values, 5.0 volts and 7.2 volts.

5.0 Volts

7.2 Volts

Our tests have shown that motors exceeding these values in either test have been clearly tampered with beyond breaking in the bushings and brushes. Your motor must pass both tests in order for it to pass and be legal.

The above numbers are meant to encourage running the motor right out of the box. The above numbers also take into consideration the motor brushes will eventually seat in and its rpm and amp draw will increase. RPM and AMP draw numbers exceeding these ranges are clearly suspect as they may only be obtained using rare earth magnets and fancy jigs to alter the motors magnetic field to advance its timing. This voodoo is what we want out of the TCS series and to promote a fair environment.

Note: Lubing the bushings and even using Comm drops is legal. It is up to the racer to make sure their motor wonít fail the RPM tests if their motor is inspected and tested after a race.

TCS host sites may use the TCS motor RPM and Amp draw rules at their respective regional event. It is up to the host site to supply the TECH officials a Much More motor checker to inspect faster driversí right after a heat or main race. The host site may use different numbers if it deems it necessary for their respective event, but the above numbers must be used as the bare minimum.

FM
Fred that is great news I am so happy to hear it !! Hats off to you and everyone else at Tamiya for doing the research and creating an even playing field for all of the silver can class participants. I look forward to hearing if the host sites will stick to this rule and do there part in adhearing to the rules set by Tamiya. Just a reminder -

14. Motor RPM Limits will be imposed to match out of the box performance. RPM numbers TBD.
15. It is forbidden to crank the timing on the 540-J motor physically or through the use of rare earth magnets.

So I am not sure how you could even get a motor to turn 15,000 RPM @ 5 volts if the rules above were followed. I mean we know how to do it if we didn't follow this specific rule but thats old news, now there is an actual rule and I look forward to seeing some close race results. Happy racing to all and to all a good race
Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW

FM
Can you further clarify this statement? Does that mean the host site cannot use RPM values LOWER than what is posted, or they cannot exceed these values? The "bare minimum" wording threw me off.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW

TCS host sites may use the TCS motor RPM and Amp draw rules at their respective regional event. It is up to the host site to supply the TECH officials a Much More motor checker to inspect faster drivers’ right after a heat or main race. The host site may use different numbers if it deems it necessary for their respective event, but the above numbers must be used as the bare minimum.

FM
Will this ever become mandated for the series like 2011 and beyond?

If it does, you might want to add a magnet test as well.
Which would eliminate every possibility. Zapping is not an issue, magnet replacement is. . .

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
The "bare minimum" wording threw me off.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=FMW;7017428]

5.0 Volts

7.2 Volts

These numbers seem awfully low I break in my motors with com drops and get more than 1.2 amps at 3 volts!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by minimadman2003
Can you further clarify this statement? Does that mean the host site cannot use RPM values LOWER than what is posted, or they cannot exceed these values? The "bare minimum" wording threw me off.

Very clear to me Bill

"The host site may use different numbers if it deems it necessary for their respective event, but the above numbers must be used as the bare minimum. "

It's up to the host track and the minimum RPM is 12,500 , no problem here!!

Announced Limits so far:

Omaha ,13.5k
Left coast, 12.5
Frederick Md. ,15k
Trackside ,13.5
Memphis , no limit

All subject to change 1 minute before your race!!!LOL

At each race there will be six racers(winners) happy with the rules and the rest will be posting here!! LOL

Good luck to all going to this weekends season opener!!!!

I know this is not TCS legal ,but it's still cool!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvu8HuvSA2s&feature=fvw

Last edited by Ray k; 02-17-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FMW

5.0 Volts

7.2 Volts

FM
Fred,

I think this is a fair and great rule, especially with all the ESC stuff going on in BL. This will truly make the silver can classes the spec classes that people want(taking the best motor tuners out and leaving it to the driving). Of course the FAST GUYS will still be the fastest. By no means does this make everyone a threat to win the A but it gives others 1 less thing to worry about and they can concentrate on driving and set up skill rather than playing with motors (because thats why they think they can't win rather than not being a skilled driver). I am not sure why this rule should not be imposed at all races. If it is a Tamiya rule then it should be used at all TCS regionals, after all the other rules are set in stone and are not up to the host sites to inforce. I can understand maybe this year leaving it up to the host sites but I think going forward it should just be a rule like all the others.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
Will this ever become mandated for the series like 2011 and beyond?

If it does, you might want to add a magnet test as well.
Which would eliminate every possibility. Zapping is not an issue, magnet replacement is. . .

No wonder we need 2 days event...1 day for spec and 1 day to race..
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by f1larry
Fred,

I think this is a fair and great rule, especially with all the ESC stuff going on in BL. This will truly make the silver can classes the spec classes that people want(taking the best motor tuners out and leaving it to the driving). Of course the FAST GUYS will still be the fastest. By no means does this make everyone a threat to win the A but it gives others 1 less thing to worry about and they can concentrate on driving and set up skill rather than playing with motors (because thats why they think they can't win rather than not being a skilled driver). I am not sure why this rule should not be imposed at all races. If it is a Tamiya rule then it should be used at all TCS regionals, after all the other rules are set in stone and are not up to the host sites to inforce. I can understand maybe this year leaving it up to the host sites but I think going forward it should just be a rule like all the others.
+1000
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

At this time I don't see why a host site may want to make these values lower. As it is, based on what I've tested, 12,500 gets really close once you seat the brushes in. Also remember, you have to pass the 7.2 test too. Comm drops will rise the amp draw, so you might want to be careful using those chemicals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.