Like Tree832Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David J.
I apologize to anyone that was inconvenienced by this but the regional event that prohibited an advanced driver to complete in GT-3 was correct in doing so. In some cases, it can be difficult to gauge skill level because this is not always black and white so all the regional events do their best to make sure the drivers are participating in the appropriate classes.

All classes more or less have a recommended skill level. This is simply that, a recommendation. It is the GT-1, GT-2 and GT-3 classes that have both a recommendation and a set skill level range.

Here is the breakdown of how the skill levels work:

Spec – Skill level is Novice drivers only. Intermediate, Advanced and Expert drivers are not allowed.

GT-3 – Skill level is Novice to Intermediate drivers. Advanced and Expert drivers are not allowed (Intermediate level recommended).

GT-2 – Intermediate to advanced drivers. Expert drivers are not allowed

GT-1 – Expert drivers.

Mini – Open to all drivers (Intermediate skill level is recommended).

F1 – Open to all drivers (Intermediate skill level is recommended).

1/12 GT - Open to all drivers. (Advanced skill level is recommended).

This has not changed from last year so I don't know if there was a misunderstanding but basically, the GT touring car classes are the classes that have set skill levels.
Thanks for the clarification. That should make it easier for drivers planning to attend TCS events.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

As a guy who spends a lot of time reviewing, tweaking and enforcing rules, I've got to add that any rule that comes in the form of a recommendation is a bad idea. You can't leave room for interpretation. It will bite you in the butt. It's a pain having to close all the loopholes, but it's a bigger pain listening to all the whining after the fact.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
As a guy who spends a lot of time reviewing, tweaking and enforcing rules, I've got to add that any rule that comes in the form of a recommendation is a bad idea. You can't leave room for interpretation. It will bite you in the butt. It's a pain having to close all the loopholes, but it's a bigger pain listening to all the whining after the fact.
I may have not explained it very well and I appologize. The recommendations themselves are not rules. The skill levels for each of the three GT Touring classes are. Think of the recommended skill levels like what you would see with IKEA products that require assembly. Is is simply a skill level suggestion (not requirement) that is intended to inform the racer of the level of competition to expect in that class. It is nothing more than that.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Can a person run both GT1 and GT2 at an event?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jethroz
Can a person run both GT1 and GT2 at an event?
Edit: For 2013, It will be allowed for drivers to enter GT-1 and GT-2 in the same event (as their two classes) but not GT-1 and GT-3 or GT2 and GT-3.

Last edited by David J.; 10-31-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What differentiates Expert and Advanced drivas ?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Mad skills, son
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

One is better than the other.

Pro - Not allowed in TCS
Expert - High degree of excellent and dexterous driving (i.e. RedBullFiXX)
Advanced - Proficient driver
Intermediate - Adequate abilites
Novice - Early in driving abilities (i.e. David J.)

Last edited by David J.; 10-31-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Cool

One is better than the other.

Pro - Not allowed in TCS
Expert - High degree of excellent and dexterous driving (i.e. RedBullFiXX)
Advanced - Proficient driver
Intermediate - Adequate abilites
Novice - Early in driving abilities (i.e. David J.)
When an Expert driva hits the age of 50, are they cleared to run any and all classes of TCS

Is there a Tamiyacare retirement package ?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

I apologize to anyone that was inconvenienced by this but the regional event that prohibited an advanced driver to complete in GT-3 was correct in doing so. In some cases, it can be difficult to gauge skill level because this is not always black and white so all the regional events do their best to make sure the drivers are participating in the appropriate classes.

All classes more or less have a recommended skill level. This is simply that, a recommendation. It is the GT-1, GT-2 and GT-3 classes that have both a recommendation and a set skill level range.

Here is the breakdown of how the skill levels work:

Spec – Skill level is Novice drivers only. Intermediate, Advanced and Expert drivers are not allowed.

GT-3 – Skill level is Novice to Intermediate drivers. Advanced and Expert drivers are not allowed (Intermediate level recommended).

GT-2 – Intermediate to advanced drivers. Edit: Drivers can enter GT-2 and GT-1 in the same event

GT-1 – Expert drivers.

Mini – Open to all drivers (Intermediate skill level is recommended).

F1 – Open to all drivers (Intermediate skill level is recommended).

1/12 GT - Open to all drivers. (Advanced skill level is recommended).

This has not changed from last year so I don't know if there was a misunderstanding but basically, the GT touring car classes are the classes that have set skill levels.
I'm not sure why a class like mini has no limitations but GT-3 does? I understand their should be different skill levels, but in practice each class costs more than the other (better chassis, more hop-ups, etc). From a cost entry standpoint, GT-3 is great and is usually one of the bigger classes. I just wish I didn't have to feel "bad" about racing a TT-01 in GT-3 to have fun, yet be an established racer.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, since I only race once a year does that make me a novice? So i can run my FF03 in GT3 then right?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

When an Expert driva hits the age of 50, are they cleared to run any and all classes of TCS

Is there a Tamiyacare retirement package ?
Actually, it only qualifies you for the Idiot class of driver. The assumption being that if you haven't found anything better to do with your spare time by the age of 50, you qualify. This class has several subcategories with chronological age being one, but not the only determining factor.

Aspiring Idiot driver--- age 50 to 65
Qualified Idiot driver---age 65 to 70
True Idiot driver-----70 to 75
IDIOT----any one dumb enough to be doing this older than 75. I'll be 77 on my
next birthday.

Tamiyacare does not have any retirement options. The only option open is that you still have to pay for your parts and car kits as you did before.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

*fistfull of popcorn - stuffs into pie-hole - chewing* Reading and watching the thread...

Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Waltrip55
I'm not sure why a class like mini has no limitations but GT-3 does? I understand their should be different skill levels, but in practice each class costs more than the other (better chassis, more hop-ups, etc). From a cost entry standpoint, GT-3 is great and is usually one of the bigger classes. I just wish I didn't have to feel "bad" about racing a TT-01 in GT-3 to have fun, yet be an established racer.
None of the classes used to have any limitations on skill level. It was only recently that we've adjusted some of the classes to encourage new drivers to participate. Basically providing them with a stage in which they can compete, learn and hopeully progress with less intimidation. Those two classes are GT Spec and GT-3. All the other classes are as they always used to be in regards to skill level.

I've made adjustments to the rules to better explain this.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Granpa
Actually, it only qualifies you for the Idiot class of driver. The assumption being that if you haven't found anything better to do with your spare time by the age of 50, you qualify. This class has several subcategories with chronological age being one, but not the only determining factor.

Aspiring Idiot driver--- age 50 to 65
Qualified Idiot driver---age 65 to 70
True Idiot driver-----70 to 75
IDIOT----any one dumb enough to be doing this older than 75. I'll be 77 on my
next birthday.

Tamiyacare does not have any retirement options. The only option open is that you still have to pay for your parts and car kits as you did before.
Guess I've got something to aspire too
Not sure I'll be able to hang at the ripe old age of seventyseven
Every year the reactions get slower and s l o w e r ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.