Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree826Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 10-31-2012, 04:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo
Have to agree with all above on FF03. The reason attendance was poor was because of the rules (wings, brushless). Many of us that built cars in anticipation, should not be driving in GT3. So now there will be a lot of cheap FWD on RCTech...
Yes, I feel for the guys in FFO3 with no use for the chassis anymore, I like the 2 mini classes back, however the spec s-grips are still on backorder. I hope they become available soon.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Not sure if the approved motor list is final or still being updated, but any chance the Trinity D3.5 series motors can be added for 13.5/17.5/21.5?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

I am happy GT3 leaves silver cans and adds brushless. I think with the addition of the FF03's, just make the class for everybody. This way people on lower budgets and people with FF03's have another class to race. I don't understand why if your driving ability is good, you have to spend more money, ie GT1/2. For many people, this is a one to two race a year series.

I will continue to campaign my TT-01R in GT-3 due to budget, not driving ability
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

It seems like people are getting hung up on the skill level suggestions again, just like last year. I thought it was determined that these were suggestions for what class to run, not hard caps?

I have watched very good drivers run GT3 for years because they liked running silver can motors in a touring car. I do not think this will change moving forward. Spec is for newer less experienced drivers, when you start running in the GT classes you need to have some skills to win.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77

I have watched very good drivers run GT3 for years because they liked running silver can motors in a touring car. I do not think this will change moving forward. Spec is for newer less experienced drivers, when you start running in the GT classes you need to have some skills to win.
2012 was the first (in memory anyhow) with skill level guidance for GT3. Indeed in 2011 there was no GT3; GT2 was silver can. So what happened "for years" isn't relevant; last year is what counts.

Of course a local RD is free to interpret the guidance as he will, but the folks who are complaining (a) know that their local RDs won't let them race GT3, and (b) wouldn't want to race GT3 anyway: it would violate the spirit of the rules.

If the cost of running potentially-small classes is an issue, perhaps Tamiya should only give medals, no merchandise, for classes below a certain size. People run these races for fun, not because they expect to win a kit.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

GT-3 Rules
Recommended Minimum Skill level: Intermediate; adequate driving ability with some race experience.
The Tamiya GT-3 class is a race class for intermediate skill level racers. The class is open to racers who are able to maneuver around a circuit with minimal incidents. The GT-3 class is also the ideal progression from the Spec Novice class as the basic fundamentals of racing have been learned. Note: Sportsman racers should not be racing in this class. You are too advanced!

This what the rules says. I know people that are what beyond Sportsman that have invested a lot time and money into the FWD cars, are highly skilled, and according to the rules are not suppose to be running in GT3. But, in some cases rules don't mean anything. If the rules are not enforced or unenforceable why have them?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

I completely understand those that are frustrated with the FWD class not being an individual class for 2013. Unfortunately, the participation in this class had diminished significantly since 2010 with some regionals not having any entries. Please note that this class can be run based on regional interest (with open skill level), the rules are within the GT-3 guidelines. Although prizes would not be allocated for the class, if participation improves, the class could return as an official class in the 2014 season. Please request to run the class at your local TCS regional this up coming season, I would gladly put it back on the series.

Although the motor regulation in Mini Pro has changed to 21.5, it will not be an active class for the 2013 season. It remains in the rule book for the regional events that would like to run it as an unofficial class (as proposed for FWD). Unfortunately, participation in Mini Pro was also extremely low. If a regional location had enough interest, we recommend using 21.5 motors which is why that change was made in the rules of an inactive class.

The classes do have skill levels as outlined in the rules. Enforcement is implemented by regional hosts and by the participating racers. Overall, this has been very successful in providing a less intimidating yet competitive series to drivers of all abilities.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by David J.
I completely understand those that are frustrated with the FWD class not being an individual class for 2013. Unfortunately, the participation in this class had diminished significantly since 2010 with some regionals not having any entries. Please note that this class can be run based on regional interest (with open skill level), the rules are within the GT-3 guidelines. Although prizes would not be allocated for the class, if participation improves, the class could return as an official class in the 2014 season. Please request to run the class at your local TCS regional this up coming season, I would gladly put it back on the series.

Although the motor regulation in Mini Pro has changed to 21.5, it will not be an active class for the 2013 season. It remains in the rule book for the regional events that would like to run it as an unofficial class (as proposed for FWD). Unfortunately, participation in Mini Pro was also extremely low. If a regional location had enough interest, we recommend using 21.5 motors which is why that change was made in the rules of an inactive class.

The classes do have skill levels as outlined in the rules. Enforcement is implemented by regional hosts and by the participating racers. Overall, this has been very successful in providing a less intimidating yet competitive series to drivers of all abilities.
David, I did look at the rules, and I did not see mini pro as inactive? are any other classes inactive as well? Also do you exspect mini S-grip spec tires in by the new year? Please just let us know thank you.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mike.a
David, I did look at the rules, and I did not see mini pro as inactive? are any other classes inactive as well? Also do you exspect mini S-grip spec tires in by the new year? Please just let us know thank you.
Because the TCS web site has not been fully updated yet, there was so way for anyone to see what is active and inactive. I hope to have everything up to date by tomorrow or early next week.

However, to answer your question, F1/F1 Foam, GT-1, GT-2, GT-3, Spec, Mini and 1/12th GT are the active classes for 2013.

Also, you can now use any Brushless ESC (non boost profile) on the approved TCS ESC list for any class allowing brushless systems. That list has been expanded (will be posted by next week). The motor list remains the same for the 2013 season but likely expanded for 2014.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

I appologize but there has been a delay in the availabilty of the control tires for both Mini and the GT cars. I do expect them around Feb so the first round will be HobbyTown/Hobbyplex in Lincoln Nebraska Feb 17th. The Aliso Viejo regional that is normally Jan will be moved to the beginning of April. (full schedule will be posted soon).
Old 10-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
GT-3 Rules
Recommended Minimum Skill level: Intermediate; adequate driving ability with some race experience.
The Tamiya GT-3 class is a race class for intermediate skill level racers. The class is open to racers who are able to maneuver around a circuit with minimal incidents. The GT-3 class is also the ideal progression from the Spec Novice class as the basic fundamentals of racing have been learned. Note: Sportsman racers should not be racing in this class. You are too advanced!

This what the rules says. I know people that are what beyond Sportsman that have invested a lot time and money into the FWD cars, are highly skilled, and according to the rules are not suppose to be running in GT3. But, in some cases rules don't mean anything. If the rules are not enforced or unenforceable why have them?
If the letter of the skill levels are followed the participation level of Mini would drop as it is also listed as Intermediate. How many of the Mini regulars are intermediate racers? Like I said earlier, this was covered last year and Fred stated the skill levels were recommendations, not rules. Has that changed, or are people just getting their panties in a bunch for no reason?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

On the spec tires can we build ours the same as spec tires??
Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
If the letter of the skill levels are followed the participation level of Mini would drop as it is also listed as Intermediate. How many of the Mini regulars are intermediate racers? Like I said earlier, this was covered last year and Fred stated the skill levels were recommendations, not rules. Has that changed, or are people just getting their panties in a bunch for no reason?
The problem is that at some regionals experienced, skilled drivers were told they couldn't run in GT3 even though they are just recommendations. So, it's disappointing and frustrating for drivers to work on their cars, make time to drive to the event, etc., and then are told that the cannot race in GT3, but they are allowed to race in Mini. You can't have recommendations that are interpreted differently from site-to-site, and that some are interpreted as rules.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MD
The problem is that at some regionals experienced, skilled drivers were told they couldn't run in GT3 even though they are just recommendations. So, it's disappointing and frustrating for drivers to work on their cars, make time to drive to the event, etc., and then are told that the cannot race in GT3, but they are allowed to race in Mini. You can't have recommendations that are interpreted differently from site-to-site, and that some are interpreted as rules.
Couldn't agree with you more. The recommended skill levels created a stink last year, and I assumed it wasn't an issue after Fred stated they were not hard rules. I didn't realize that some race directors were attempting to enforce them as rules. If they are rules they should be across the board not selectivly applied.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MD
I apologize to anyone that was inconvenienced by this but the regional event that prohibited an advanced driver to complete in GT-3 was correct in doing so. In some cases, it can be difficult to gauge skill level because this is not always black and white so all the regional events do their best to make sure the drivers are participating in the appropriate classes.

All classes more or less have a recommended skill level. This is simply that, a recommendation. It is the GT-1, GT-2 and GT-3 classes that have both a recommendation and a set skill level range.

Here is the breakdown of how the skill levels work:

Spec – Skill level is Novice drivers only. Intermediate, Advanced and Expert drivers are not allowed.

GT-3 – Skill level is Novice to Intermediate drivers. Advanced and Expert drivers are not allowed (Intermediate level recommended).

GT-2 – Intermediate to advanced drivers. Edit: Drivers can enter GT-2 and GT-1 in the same event

GT-1 – Expert drivers.

Mini – Open to all drivers (Intermediate skill level is recommended).

F1 – Open to all drivers (Intermediate skill level is recommended).

1/12 GT - Open to all drivers. (Advanced skill level is recommended).

This has not changed from last year so I don't know if there was a misunderstanding but basically, the GT touring car classes are the classes that have set skill levels.

Last edited by David J.; 10-31-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.