Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Tamiya Championship Series >

Tamiya Championship Series

Like Tree818Likes

Tamiya Championship Series

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I would trust Davids stewardship of the series.

As a world-class competitor and industry insider he has the right knowledge base to make the right decisions for TCS. There are few that have a 360 view of the industry and customers.

You'll have to trust that he will will make great series for all levels next year.

Looking forward to watching it grow.

On other notes....

How is the prep going for the 2012 Team North America?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Mark, thanks for the confidence. I would like to stress the fact that I don’t know it all but will do what I believe is best for the series and its participants. I really appreciate everyone feedback and although I may not always be able to make specific accommodations, I will always listen and take everything into consideration.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by David J.
Cost. As technology progresses, the cost of brushless systems is going down but it is still not as affordable as the 540-J motors long term or short term. Silver can motors used in Mini last for quite some time, the “tweaked” ones don’t which is why the 18,750 RPM limit is in place and also why we use hand out motors for the TCS Finals. Speaking of these handout motors, I personally dyno each one and I can tell you the variance so small, you can’t detect it on the track. This and the fact that the silver can tech is “stable” which means you don’t have to buy a new version silver can motor on a regular basis, everyone is running the exact same thing. It is the most level, fair and low cost form of racing in the TCS series (perhaps any series).

Brushless is without a doubt the future. But for now in TCS, Mini, and GT Spec are categories where racers don’t have to deal with stator matching, rotor tuning and keeping up with the newest ESC or motor technology.
Well said David, the 540 silvercan is cheap and I have 5 year old motors that are fine and all tech between 17,300 and 18,500rpm when warm. Thanks David for all you have done to keep this series going.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike.a
Well said David, the 540 silvercan is cheap and I have 5 year old motors that are fine and all tech between 17,300 and 18,500rpm when warm. Thanks David for all you have done to keep this series going.
I agree. I know in our area they ran a Mini Class this summer using 21.5's and the esc could not have or use a boost feature. So, it became of matter of finding the best stator, etc. I hope the Mini Class continues to be s a silver can class for a very long time. I think the Min Class is the least expensive way for drivers to get involved in the TCS. It's one of the reasons it has been consistently popular.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

This is totally off topic and is primarily meant for Dave. Will it be legal to cyano the sidewalls of the Spec tires?????

Just want it on the record one way or the other. There is no intent here to make anyones life difficult or make this a bone of contention.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Granpa
This is totally off topic and is primarily meant for Dave. Will it be legal to cyano the sidewalls of the Spec tires?????

Just want it on the record one way or the other. There is no intent here to make anyones life difficult or make this a bone of contention.
Adding glue to the sidewall to stiffen it is allowed (Honestly, distinguishing CA being used to stiffen vs. to better secure the tire to the wheel would not be practical to differentiate/enforce). However, gluing any type of material to the sidewall to further stiffen it is not legal.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

David,

Thanks for all your quick and well thought out answers to everyone's questions. I have the utmost confidence that the TCS will continue to grow and thrive with you at the helm. Thank you again for getting the rules out so far in advance. Everyone can now start preparing for another great TCS season.

Time to put a brushed ESC and silver can motor into the M06.

Thanks again for taking on the overwhelming task of running the TCS.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hi David,

Is ball bearing has to be Tamiya when it is time to replace them? I cannot find any info about it. Or it is under Tamiya parts only.

Thanks
Ed
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by f1larry
David,

Thanks for all your quick and well thought out answers to everyone's questions. I have the utmost confidence that the TCS will continue to grow and thrive with you at the helm. Thank you again for getting the rules out so far in advance. Everyone can now start preparing for another great TCS season.

Time to put a brushed ESC and silver can motor into the M06.

Thanks again for taking on the overwhelming task of running the TCS.
You're very welcome. Thank you for your participation! BTW, many brushless ESCs can run brushed motors so hopefully yours is one of those and you won't have to buy anything.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TamiyaW1688
Hi David,

Is ball bearing has to be Tamiya when it is time to replace them? I cannot find any info about it. Or it is under Tamiya parts only.

Thanks
Ed
You can use any brand you want. It does not have to be Tamiya bearings.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Kudos to Dave

Good work on the rules Dave. I have an interest in budget racing for GT-3 as I have a son who will be driving in that class, and you have met some of the concerns GT-3 racers in keeping the cost affordable. I can see the torque-tuned motor being a strong performer for the class.

Bummer about the FF03 being a GT-3 class car, and not the fun class by itself as it was in the past. I was hoping to race it, but maybe I'll run the mini this year.

Looking forward to the upcoming events.

EBR
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EB Racer
Bummer about the FF03 being a GT-3 class car, and not the fun class by itself as it was in the past. I was hoping to race it, but maybe I'll run the mini this year.

EBR
I was kind of hoping to run front drive as well, but I don't want to go back to GT3, and the class here died really quickly so......
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Dave for the 1/12 GT class is 13.5 motor a miss print or it is correct.

Thanks

Motor Rules: 13.5 brushless motors. See Motor chart for legal TCS 13.5 motors. Note: see general rules above for specifics.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314
Hi David,

Any thoughts on updating the ESC rules to mirror the ROAR approved list of "Blinky" / fixed timing ESC's?

Thanks,
Jimmy
As a follow up, was any consideration given to updating the ESC list to account for new/updated releases of product from companies already on the TCS list? For example, the Cirtix 12280 Club Spec has been updated with the Speed passion SP000048 Reventon Stock Club which is on the ROAR approved list.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Last edited by g12314; 11-02-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g12314
As a follow up, was any consideration given to updating the ESC list to account for new/updated releases of product from companies already on the TCS list? For example, the Cirtix 12280 Club Spec has been updated with the Speed passion SP000048 Reventon Stock Club which is on the ROAR approved list.

Thanks,
Jimmy
And as a linked one, will the existing esc's definitely still be allowed? Again thinking the Citrix!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.