Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rtypec
Lol, I blurred it on purpose to keep it PG-13 and stay out of trouble
what a shame seemed like a real nice photo op
Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Default B-mainer

Terrific Rod! Really, really terrific! You're our (B-mainer) Hero!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I don't think I could be much more jealous...but I could be wrong. lol. Awesome job on the write up rtypec!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David J.
Hello Craig,
It would be much harder to list non-approved equippment and you would really hate such a list because it would be a very, very long one. Right now, racers have no more than 12 motors in each class to choose from. Personally, I don't think the list is long at all.
David...just shoot you a PM, please let me know...thank you.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya World Championship - Day 7 and 8

Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings to All,

Day 7
Monday, November 19, 2012

I woke up feeling great, despite last night's little bender. I didn't feel like one hurt unit / wounded soldier, nor did I have issues with spinning and general wrongness. Water and greasy food certainly did its part in averting disaster. Thankfully, I had packed up yesterday and didn't have to thrash to get ready for the long day ahead of us.

Truly the land of the rising sun. An amazing view of Shizuoka.

After breakfast and checking out of the Century, we were met by our gracious Tamiya hosts in the lobby and bid farewell. We boarded the bus and took off for Tokyo.

On the road...

Nice seaside drive.

My home is about five thousand miles that way.

We pulled over at the Fujikawa service area for photo oppurtunities of Mount Fuji. Since it was overcast, we didn't have a clear view of Fuji-san, so we took off after a few minutes.

The next stop was at the Ebina service area. We loaded up on some yummy eats, such as steam buns and yakitori. It was a nice skirt and boot filled break.

After being on the road for about three hours, we began to see signs of the megopolis known as Tokyo.

Asakusa

Our first scheduled activity of the day was a visit to the Asakusa Temple complex and its neighboring areas for sightseeing.

Amazing stuff.

Sea of people.

Looking back at the shrine.

View to the right.

View to the left.

Here's a short video of our walkabout. We might be giants lol.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

We stopped off at this place for lunch. They hand made and cooked noddles for each individual order.

This was on the menu ...and it was awesome! Some of the best noddles I've had, ever.

When a couple of hours had past, we made our way back to our designated meeting spot. We waited for about twenty minutes in chilly weather (successfully using cans of coffee as hand warmers) for the AsiaCup team to return, but they were no where to be found. When our hand warmers stopped working and had to be drank before turning into iced coffees, we decided that it would be better to wait in the bus. I don't remember how long we waited, but the AsiaCup team finally showed up, out of breath, and looking like they had ran a marathon. Apparently, they took a train elsewhere to do some hobby shopping and came back with relatively mundane items. If I were to go through all the trouble of hustling like that, I'm coming back with something crazy, like a pink TRF417, an Airsoft Minigun/Javelin, or other unobtainable stuff, not a Castrol Civic or NSX body lol.

With everybody accounted for, we took off to our next destination.

Tamiya Plamodel Factory

Located a short bus ride away from Asakusa, past Tokyo's Imperial Palace, and next to the Ginza shopping district, was the Tamiya Plamodel Factory - Shimbashi. This place showcased Tamiya's entire product line-up on three floors. The first two floors contained just about everything and anything Tamiya related. From kits, parts, publications, paints, special products, and original goods, if they didn't have it, they could get it, and if they couldn't get it, it never existed. The amount of inventory they had on display in clean and organized retail environment was amazing. They had things as random as individual decal sheets for all of their plastic model kits, to unobtainium items such as titanium droop screws! The third floor was a multi-purpose space that was currently configured to feature mini 4wd, but is also used to hold events such as rc car races, workshops, seminars, and other gatherings. I wish we had shops like this in the US.

After having our fair share of sensory overload and contributing to the local economy, we left for dinner in Odaiba.

Odaiba

We crossed the Rainbow Bridge, over Tokyo Bay, to a waterfront mall called AquaCity, where we had dinner reservations. Since we arrived early, we had some time to walk around. Anthony informed us that there was a life-size Gundam on display somewhere nearby and that it was a must see for anybody who's interested in anime and mecha. Being an otaku myself, I definately wanted to check it out. Wanting to geek, we unamimously agreed to spend our time finding that giant robot. After getting directions, walking by the Fuji TV building, and watching an AsiaCup driver do an impromptu Gangam style dance on a lit-up stairway, we ended up at DiverCity Tokyo Plaza.

Anthony on the escalator checking things out that were not Gundam.

Busted.

A kid in a candy store. You can see the anticipation on Anthony's face.

[queue heavenly music]

If the size 100,000 shoe fits, wear it.

Our new otaku friends. I love skirts and boots.

Gundam group photo from Anthony's camera. I need to upgrade.

This side trip was well worth the walk and made our time in Odaiba even more memorable.

After making our way back to AquaCity, we had a western-style buffet dinner with an outrageously awesome panoramic view of Tokyo. Words cannot describe how beautiful the Tokyo cityscape was. Pictures don't do it justice.

When we were finished with dinner, we got back in the bus and made our way to our final destination in Narita to spend the night, before flying home the next morning. The moment I got on the bus, I queued up the song "One Perfect Sunrise" by Orbital and had a mellow jam session watching the city lights pass by, and subsequently fell asleep.

Here's a music video of "One Perfect Sunrise" featuring a drive through Tokyo like ours. We saw similar sights and this song matched my frame of mind at that moment. Peaking starts around the four minute mark.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Narita

I woke up moments later with our bus stopped in front of the hotel. I was somewhat confused because our ride was supposed to take a little over an hour and I was only two songs into my playlist. It couldn't have possibly have been that short. You could probably figure out what happened. Time travelling.

Anthony told me to take a photo of this wreck.

Before heading up to our rooms after checking in, I asked if anybody wanted to go to the bar down the street for one last hurrah. Since everyone declined, we all went up stairs and crashed for our final night in Japan.

Going Home

There wasn't anything too exciting and worth noting during our last travel day. We woke up, had breakfast, and made our way to the airport. Once checked in, past security and through customs, we did a little shopping that included sampling some nice Grand Marnier. We took full advantage of the booth next to our gate to puff like dragons before our long flight home.

The dragon's den felt more like a night club.

Display of progressively smaller origami cranes. The small ones on the pin heads were microscopic!

The flight was awesome because I slept through most of it. We left Japan on Tuesday morning, and arrived in Los Angeles a couple hours ealier on Tuesday morning.

When I finally got home, I was greated with a pleasant suprise.

And with that, our trip to Japan for the 2012 Tamiya World Championship comes to an end. It was an epic journey and I wanted to share these experiences with all of TCS's racing friends and family. I hope this report has been informative and entertaining, and I thank you for taking time your time to view it.

Kanpai!

Last edited by rtypec; 12-25-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

great write up Rod. Read every single one of them. This should be requirement for all future champions

Skirt and boots....skirt and boots....
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

This question is for Dave J. 6500 MAh capacity for the batteries is that only for 2S or the applies for 1S also.

Thanks

TCS legal LIPO batteries must be 7.4 volts 2S-1P/2P specification. TCS legal LIPO batteries may not exceed 6500 MAh capacity. See class specific rules as MAH and C rating may be limited for a particular class. You may use the ROAR approved LIPO list found here as a guide and reference to the 7.4 Volt 2S-1P batteries that are permitted for TCS: http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/lipobattery.php
Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL IN TCS FAMILY
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default XV-01 Happy Fun Time

Happy New Year All,

Here are a couple photos and a video of some fun we had this weekend. Please note that these XV-01s are completely box stock, with no modifications, no setup changes, and on stock rally block tires. The silver car is powered by a brushed 19T motor. The orange car is powered by a 17.5T brushless setup.

These rally cars are well designed, fun to build, easy to drift, and a blast to drive.

Enjoy!

XV-01s on YouTube

+ YouTube Video
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Almost time for the TCS series in Omaha!!

HobbyPLEX Raceway in Omaha, NE
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think this has been asked before, but I didn't see an answer. Are the Trinity/Epic D3.5 brushless motors allowed for this season? I don't see them on the list, but the older D3 model is. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tiko
This question is for Dave J. 6500 MAh capacity for the batteries is that only for 2S or the applies for 1S also.

Thanks
Yes, all Lipos (2S & 1S) must be 6500 or lower.

Originally Posted by TamiyaMatt84
I think this has been asked before, but I didn't see an answer. Are the Trinity/Epic D3.5 brushless motors allowed for this season? I don't see them on the list, but the older D3 model is. Thanks.
The Trinity/Epic D3.5s are not legal this year.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

[QUOTE=David J.;11627321]Yes, all Lipos (2S & 1S) must be 6500 or lower.

Thanks for the reply.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.