R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #241
Tech Regular

It add's duration to all of the ports on the sleeve, easier and faster than doing it with dremel or hand tools.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #242
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Well, it raises the exhaust port height.
Does it not increase volume of the combustion chamber? Higher RPM?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:46 PM   #243
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Mr. JP himself has done this to my engine (which my friend borrowed for the WC in Brazil) It's weird because he put the shim outside of the sleeve.
What thickness is that shim? 0.5 mm?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:14 PM   #244
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Yes, so it would help to know if they readjusted head shim to keep original combustion chamber size, so that way they gained higher Rpm's with port raising, and kept torque by reducing shims.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:18 PM   #245
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Yes, so it would help to know if they readjusted head shim to keep original combustion chamber size, so that way they gained higher Rpm's with port raising, and kept torque by reducing shims.
Yup, that makes sense. I guess Mr. JP was a little lazy or ran out of dremmel bits.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #246
Tech Regular

If you shim below sleeve to raise it that will also raise your deck height, if JP used same shims for deck height or removed some to keep the same deck height we dunno, just you might need ot machine your button some so you are able to get it low enough to have proper deck height and a shim between it and sleeve for a good seal. I'v enever ran w/o any head shims before but would be leary that it wouldn't seal good or the head might want to come loose.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #247
Tech Elite

Quote:
Well, if you remove the .3mm shim from under the button and add it under the rim of the sleeve, there will be zero nett gain or loss to the combustion chamber volume.
Of course the ID required for the under sleeve shim would be different.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #248
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Well, if you remove the .3mm shim from under the button and add it under the rim of the sleeve, there will be zero nett gain or loss to the combustion chamber volume.
True. But like what others have mentioned, the exhaust height plus all the other ports are raised by 0.3 mm if 0.3 shim is added under the rim of the sleeve.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:35 PM   #249
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24
Mr. JP himself has done this to my engine (which my friend borrowed for the WC in Brazil) It's weird because he put the shim outside of the sleeve.

Have any of you experienced with this? Whats behind this idea? What is he want to achieve for its power?
Higher all ports at the same time(not only exhaust height). I have tried this way before.
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:43 PM   #250
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
Higher all ports at the same time(not only exhaust height). I have tried this way before.
How different did it make the engine? Better or worse? Did you reduce the head clearance when you raised the piston sleeve? By the same amount? Thanks Dino.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:53 PM   #251
Nitro Tech

Quote:
How different did it make the engine? Better or worse? Did you reduce the head clearance when you raised the piston sleeve? By the same amount? Thanks Dino.
Yes,reduce the head shims by the same amount. Engine will have better high end because you will have more than 126degree intake during and higher exhaust during....but not easy to adjusting. you can try...

I have also tried to lower the sleeve 0.2mm on my buggy engine for better low-end. that is another trick.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:53 PM   #252
Tech Elite

Quote:
True. But like what others have mentioned, the exhaust height plus all the other ports are raised by 0.3 mm if 0.3 shim is added under the rim of the sleeve.
Yep, it will raise all the ports and I could only presume Mr JP knows what he's doing.
As to the overall effect, I have no idea.
I prefer to just buy 'em from the people that know what they're doing. I'm unlikely to catch up to their level of knowlege that separates a good engine from a blistering one.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:56 PM   #253
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It is depend how much you will put under sleeve shims. great amount will kill bottom end completely-engine will be for speed only ( realy fast on the end of long straight) but it will be realy slow on bottom end. I have tryed to raise sleeve on 21 Nova by 0.5 mm ( all timing raised by 11.5 degree)-it was no good!!!!!! Don't go there, it will be very high speed engine with no bottom end at all.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:01 AM   #254
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
It is depend how much you will put under sleeve shims. great amount will kill bottom end completely-engine will be for speed only ( realy fast on the end of long straight) but it will be realy slow on bottom end. I have tryed to raise sleeve on 21 Nova by 0.5 mm ( all timing raised by 11.5 degree)-it was no good!!!!!! Don't go there, it will be very high speed engine with no bottom end at all.
Yes.

Before you mod your engine,you need to think WHAT is not enough or WHAT is too much. If you don't have any idea,don't take risk. You can get the same result on gearing and pipe tuning. When it is not enough to you,then just think about mod it.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:04 AM   #255
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

0.3 mm height change is 6 degree difference on 12 engine, it will not chnage a lot, it will defenetly add top speed in exchange of little bit bottom end-one of the modding for particular track (high flow tracks)
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote