Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I will add here in Texas we run an open class for GT but I wish we had a spec class to.. If we did I would run both
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by flyboi33
+ 1
I have the higher end motors but the motor rule will keep the racing closer.. A skilled driver will perform and do good with any motor even a 3 port if he is good
+1
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Still not an owner of a GT8 car yet, but wonder if regarding spec tires a shore rating was set rather than just a single manufacture in hopes of keeping everyone happy and not excluding a manufacture. from a hobby shop perspective the stocking of mutliple manufacture and shores is a tough one since you may get stuck with a wall dog that just sit's there on the shelf and never sell, but from a competition standpoint sure would be nice to know you don't need to throw on a super soft tire to try and compete.. the harder shore tires we watched last year had an insane life to them and I was blown away how long the guys were able to get out of a single set....

guess the flip side is one manufacture 45 shore may not be the same as the other's and still require a quiver of tires in your box?????
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916
Still not an owner of a GT8 car yet, but wonder if regarding spec tires a shore rating was set rather than just a single manufacture in hopes of keeping everyone happy and not excluding a manufacture. from a hobby shop perspective the stocking of mutliple manufacture and shores is a tough one since you may get stuck with a wall dog that just sit's there on the shelf and never sell, but from a competition standpoint sure would be nice to know you don't need to throw on a super soft tire to try and compete.. the harder shore tires we watched last year had an insane life to them and I was blown away how long the guys were able to get out of a single set....

guess the flip side is one manufacture 45 shore may not be the same as the other's and still require a quiver of tires in your box?????
The spec tire rule is only as per a track and their local needs. I feel that just make the tire rule rubber tire only. No foams. That'll keep costs down and racing close.

Really I only need 2 different shores through out our race season in Utah. 50's for when it's under 80ish degrees, and 55's for anything above that. On rare occasions I get out a set of 45's, but thats some really chilly weather!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Are rubber tires last longer than foam? I think just race whay you brung is cool to attract more new on road comers. Although i dont race at your track, just bring them race and have run. You can give a rookie a 7 ports Nova and....
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

As to tires I would make it like VTA - one brand - part number - shore. Or leave the tires open. Having run IL, NE, TX, CO and NV and from April - October, I've used different tire shores, design ..........

I agree with the 3 port .21 off road based, no cost cap, but should we also include the .28's that come with the RTR. Even if they do not last, they should be able to run them, but this would be a very SHORT list.

Evrything else looks good!!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xxx123
Are rubber tires last longer than foam? I think just race whay you brung is cool to attract more new on road comers. Although i dont race at your track, just bring them race and have run. You can give a rookie a 7 ports Nova and....
Well, all the RTR GT8 cars come with rubber tires. The rubber tires do last longer and are more forgiving as far as track prep and if the track gets wet. Plus the rubber tires will keep racing fair and even.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Grenade10
As to tires I would make it like VTA - one brand - part number - shore. Or leave the tires open. Having run IL, NE, TX, CO and NV and from April - October, I've used different tire shores, design ..........

I agree with the 3 port .21 off road based, no cost cap, but should we also include the .28's that come with the RTR. Even if they do not last, they should be able to run them, but this would be a very SHORT list.

Evrything else looks good!!
Leave the tires open, just no foams.

As far as engine rules. I'm on the fence about this. Just because the beauty of a GT car is that they will be fairly competitive with almost engine you choose to run. So say you were running monster trucks and decided to try on road. You could get a kit or RTR and run your higher end .28 out of one of your MT's. I know we had a handful of guys here that would buy rollers and run their HPI 4.6, Picco 28, Axial .28 RR, etc. because it was an engine they had on hand. That way we can get more people in the class that already run nitro simply because they have a spare big block lying around.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think any rubber tire should be allowed, except where a track feels they want a spec tire for a given race. Sportsman and open classes would work well. Sportsman can be controlled with a 3 port .21, but the stock engines with kits will make it difficult to include a variety of those. I personally feel that any .21 to .28 engine should be allowed and let the driver ability dictate the class they run. No sponsored drivers in sportsman and this will eliminate all the engine hassles of can you change the carb and pipe, and the head and use turbo plugs and a different rod. Way too many options on trying to control a sportsman class engine.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

I know you guys have talked about the engines .21 and .28 and so forth. I think the engine should be anything you want as long as it is an off-road engine. On-road engines are expensive and I think should be out of the question. I know some may not agree but I just wanted to throw that out. If we want to keep it cost effective that might be something to consider.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Yep yep... we are all saying the same thing in different words.. this is a good thing.. The board will create the final languge and lay it down for the rest of us to unite and comply too.. this will give every event organizer a solid base as they bring GT8 onto thier list of classes.... and this is what we want.

I will keep the nomitations open until wed. then it's voting and moving on to rule solidification... then we will sprinkle some nitro on them, and go racing...

As newbies come in they will know what they are up against and we can help them with car set up and mods that will meet the set rules and keep them in a durable race car ...
Cory... I got your car all set up ...just need to put a 2nd bearing in the clutch and put some brakes on the car that will last more that 2 laps..get ready to break it in... I would call Mark at TimeZone to see if he has any tires for it... 45 or 50s...
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spooky 1
I think any rubber tire should be allowed, except where a track feels they want a spec tire for a given race. Sportsman and open classes would work well. Sportsman can be controlled with a 3 port .21, but the stock engines with kits will make it difficult to include a variety of those. I personally feel that any .21 to .28 engine should be allowed and let the driver ability dictate the class they run. No sponsored drivers in sportsman and this will eliminate all the engine hassles of can you change the carb and pipe, and the head and use turbo plugs and a different rod. Way too many options on trying to control a sportsman class engine.
Well said

Would like to add this one thought to the engine port discussion,

I see more than a few off/road guys trying the class, and most of them would prefer to run the buggy engines that they all ready are running and are comfortable with.

Since one of the benefits to these racers is to transfer equipment 5 port engines seems to be very common and saves money so an additional power plant does not need to be purchased.

Buggy based cars, buggy based engines... Makes sense to me

As to open class I still agree to an open engine format

Last edited by *1speedy; 04-23-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Question, when people say .21-3 port engine, are we talking about spec class ? I like everything Im reading, I personally think tires should be kept as rubber and no specific brand or shore so that all different manufacturers can compete in pricing. Again this are all ideas for the elected group to discuss.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

I agree that the tires should be left open as long as they are rubber. Most of the time the new guys buy what is in stock at the LHS. The LHS probably won't have anything that is junk for the conditions of the local track anyways so this point is taken care off.

For the engines I say to just limit them to .21 up to .28, this way the off road buggy/truggy guys can try the class and see if they like it. I have been racing with both on and off road engines. The lap times are not that different with good engines. The torque from the off road engines most of the time makes up for the RPM that can achieve the on road versions. The key here is gearing correctly for the motor.

We race open here and I'm not sure if there will ever be a Spec class since most just want to fly. As a matter of fact most of the bashers use .28 and up engines since all they want is all out acceleration. LRP .28 and .30 are the norm for them. once they go to the track most end up with .21 motors.

One point that most haven't even touched yet is the electronic aids such as HPI D-Box. These to me are cheating devices... Therefore they should be illegal and for that the rules must clearly state it so no one uses them.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jneg
I agree that the tires should be left open as long as they are rubber. Most of the time the new guys buy what is in stock at the LHS. The LHS probably won't have anything that is junk for the conditions of the local track anyways so this point is taken care off.

For the engines I say to just limit them to .21 up to .28, this way the off road buggy/truggy guys can try the class and see if they like it. I have been racing with both on and off road engines. The lap times are not that different with good engines. The torque from the off road engines most of the time makes up for the RPM that can achieve the on road versions. The key here is gearing correctly for the motor.

We race open here and I'm not sure if there will ever be a Spec class since most just want to fly. As a matter of fact most of the bashers use .28 and up engines since all they want is all out acceleration. LRP .28 and .30 are the norm for them. once they go to the track most end up with .21 motors.

One point that most haven't even touched yet is the electronic aids such as HPI D-Box. These to me are cheating devices... Therefore they should be illegal and for that the rules must clearly state it so no one uses them.
Agreed with Spooky, 1Speedy, Jneg, and Rino.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.