GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

For those of you that do not know what a Dbox is....see the link below... I for one; had never herd of them... Technology is amazing!
I think this is black and white... Ilegal..

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...it.A/id.223/.f
Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default Rules and Enforcement

Great discussion guy's, let's keep things going!

One thing about rules is once made, how is it enforced? Checking the internals of an engine for port height or displacement can be a daunting task. From this perspective, making a rubber only tire rule makes tons of sense. Pretty easy to tell if someones running foam.

My comments on motors really focus on reliability rather than speed. However, there are other models out there when it comes to stock racing. How about a claimers rule? You can buy any A main driver's motor for $200. This option only covers the cost side, but easy to police.

Carb restrictors would be another way to even the field. Any motor with a 6.0mm restrictor would allow for all comers regardless of port count or displacement. Pipes also become less of an issue. Enforcement would be another matter, but easier than tearing a runner down.

Here's one more crazy scheme, limit fuel tank size. 100cc should really put a damper on big bore, high zoot, italian screemers. Tanks would need checking, but adjusting volume would be easy with simple fuel line.

Come on guy's, let's keep the talk going!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mgodson
Great discussion guy's, let's keep things going!

One thing about rules is once made, how is it enforced? Checking the internals of an engine for port height or displacement can be a daunting task. From this perspective, making a rubber only tire rule makes tons of sense. Pretty easy to tell if someones running foam.

My comments on motors really focus on reliability rather than speed. However, there are other models out there when it comes to stock racing. How about a claimers rule? You can buy any A main driver's motor for $200. This option only covers the cost side, but easy to police.

Carb restrictors would be another way to even the field. Any motor with a 6.0mm restrictor would allow for all comers regardless of port count or displacement. Pipes also become less of an issue. Enforcement would be another matter, but easier than tearing a runner down.

Here's one more crazy scheme, limit fuel tank size. 100cc should really put a damper on big bore, high zoot, italian screemers. Tanks would need checking, but adjusting volume would be easy with simple fuel line.

Come on guy's, let's keep the talk going!
I like all the of it except the 100 CC rule on fuel... all the cars come with a 125- 150 CC tanks in them... so 150 CC would make sense... like it or not.. I have 125CC in the DM one and know that a few run a larger tank in their cars to get 6min....
Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Default Final Rules

Ok... I just thought of this.. let me know your thoughts...

I or Gus, Mike .. somebody can document the rules...
Email the DRAFT to each of the regions REPS....
the Rep can then review add thoughts and disputes by replying to ALL the Reps in a Email... Final version is agreed upon in a Email.... Then Posted here and on any clubs website for all to see..
THEN. We can concentrate on sharing ideas on setups..Make sure that we help the new guys .. maybe post some basic setup sheets for them.. like some of you did for us last year...

Let me know your thought on the email idea..
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Like to add this statement to the officials to be elected shortly,

I think these Rule discussions are great.

Question I have when we start talking about engine claimers and carb restrictors etc is I think these type of rules imo look to be designed more toward club racing rather than general GT8 rules. I am not knocking them just my observation.

Most tracks near me, as of late do not have a large enough turn out to separate sportsman from open so until this class really has the numbers (it won’t be long) concentrating on basics like tires,engines,bodys,chassis kickup,electronics might be more productive.

The tracks that are able to separate the classes will continue to add what works for them. Example is Spooky in Utah and I am sure he will share with all of us what works

Most of the new comers here at our local track have some type of buggy engine, generally 5 port Italian engines coming from buggys/truggys. They work great they just pipe them for onroad and they are ready. A few have some insane engines but seems in GT8 it is more about setup then engine so the advantage is minimal at best.

We here in the NY NJ Delaware area run Rubber open class and it seems to work very well.

It would be great to create a GT sportsman class for new comers. I hope by the end of the summer we have the numbers to do it..

Look forward to reading more

Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will reiterate what we found to work after seven years of racing these GTs. Engine means very little. It's all about setup and driving. If we just run the class as open engine, you'll be surprised how very few of us really want to spend more than $300 on an engine. The ones costing more do very little to make you any faster. I believe if all GT cars are open with tire , body, weight rules, it will be much easier to police it and let the drivers skill place him or her in open class or sportsman. No sponsored drivers in sportsman. If we try to dictate engines for sportsman , we will be having this discussion every year.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
Yep yep... The board will create the final languge and lay it down for the rest of us to unite and comply too.. this will give every event organizer a solid base as they bring GT8 onto thier list of classes.... and this is what we want.

I will keep the nomitations open until wed. then it's voting and moving on to rule solidification... then we will sprinkle some nitro on them, and go racing...

As newbies come in........:
Quietly watching this new thread unfold……….

Rather than attempting to “ram through” any of your “selected representatives” and “new GT legislations”, maybe some of you should take a moment to reflect on GT’s racing history in America & around the world and maybe it’s founders too.

North American GT track racing began in 2006 by its founder Bernie (Bubba Cola) Hoogstra in Chicago. Have any of you new guys shown the respect he deserves to actually consult anything with him yet?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I like a weight rule. Everything else works great.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If there its to be a weight rule 3500 seems a safe bet. Keep it about sixes for all the different cars in the GT class.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Regular

is there a level right below sportsman? that's where i need to be.
i think after some hard work and a few of my competitors blowing engines right after the first lap, ill be right up there at the top 45
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Z
Tech Master

I may have missed this but, when we say rubber tires, are we allowing the wider rear tires?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by spooky 1
I will reiterate what we found to work after seven years of racing these GTs. Engine means very little. It's all about setup and driving. If we just run the class as open engine, you'll be surprised how very few of us really want to spend more than $300 on an engine. The ones costing more do very little to make you any faster. I believe if all GT cars are open with tire , body, weight rules, it will be much easier to police it and let the drivers skill place him or her in open class or sportsman. No sponsored drivers in sportsman. If we try to dictate engines for sportsman , we will be having this discussion every year.
I agree with spooky, talking to some experienced people that have been on rc cars a lot longer than me, they mentioned something I think a lot of us know but havent taken the time to think about it, Sedan engines are 3 port engines for this same reason, thinking that this would keep prices low, it might take just a little longer for engine manufacturers and mod people to figure out how to make a .21 engine perform better and then they will price them up like sedan engines now a days. I think engines should be just open and limit them by .21 to .28 and maybe by the carburator intake diameter. Lets keep it simple otherwise they will have to tech engines on every race and that simply doesnt happen. Again this is just my opinion and Im glad we are all listening to everybody.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z
I may have missed this but, when we say rubber tires, are we allowing the wider rear tires?
I haven't seen anywhere that says you can't run the wide rears. I personally would have no problem allowing them to run. But would prob have to be discussed.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, it's already been said by the "board members" that any rubber tire can be used, so why not the wides, they're rubber. Oh and btw, i'm one of the founding fathers of GT in Puerto Rico, just about when it was taking off in Florida, it's where we got our inspiration.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z
Only note on tires I've seen has been that they must be under the body, and no heating and enlarging the opening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.