Search

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Talking GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Hey guys,

Lets try this one more time...

We are started a new class in the Northwest for the GT's. We wanted a low cost nitro car for the "New to Nitro" guy/gal to enjoy...A farm class for the other 1/8 open nitro class, if you will.

SO....here’s some basic rules that have been and are being exercised

If we all posted our regions/club rules and compaired them we could see the main differences.... then discuss a solution.

NOTE that each Club/Region will have its own say at a CLUB event.. for example..UTAH may have enough for a spec and a open.. NW does not have this depth yet and we may need to run just a spec class.... with a motor limit.
I THINK I can speak for most of the guys that run up here...
We like the GT's because they are cheap ... and we love close raceing and we can do it with a GT better than a open 1/8 scales..in short, they are easier to wheel than a Open....
Here is what we go by as a group..

RULES:
The rules we have adopted follow the Midwest GT rules.

Chassis: Any 1/8 scale buggy based shaft driven nitro powered car. (Any off-road conversion is OK)

Body: Any commercially available GT style body.
1. Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. Rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and can not be completely cut out.

Tires: Sweep 50 shore slicks are the "spec" Tire. Timezone is selling them for the season at $56 a set of four.

Weight: Minimum dry weight of 3500 grams.

Engine: Any .21 to .28 displacement “spec” style engine.
1. All factory installed internal parts with NO modifications.
2. Must be commercially available.
3. Regular price suggested to be under $200 not including tax. (Use Tower Hobbies, Stormer Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies or any other large retail store as price reference.)
4. .21 motors to have no more than 3 ports.

Pipes: Any tuned pipe is OK.

If you want to share setups with us and advice, we would love to hear your input. Please share photos and Video.. and enjoy!
If you want to sell you products great, but if you start causing problems, and create a problem for other vendors, leave. We are here to have fun..bench race and share stories and information about a Hobby/Sport that we love..
Cheers,
Clete

Clete
SnotRocket Racing, Team TimeZone, Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies, McKune Design, RC Plus... Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
Hey guys,

Lets try this one more time...

We are started a new class in the Northwest for the GT's. We wanted a low cost nitro car for the "New to Nitro" guy/gal to enjoy...A farm class for the other 1/8 open nitro class, if you will.

SO....here’s some basic rules that have been and are being exercised

If we all posted our regions/club rules and compaired them we could see the main differences.... then discuss a solution.

NOTE that each Club/Region will have its own say at a CLUB event.. for example..UTAH may have enough for a spec and a open.. NW does not have this depth yet and we may need to run just a spec class.... with a motor limit.
I THINK I can speak for most of the guys that run up here...
We like the GT's because they are cheap ... and we love close raceing and we can do it with a GT better than a open 1/8 scales..in short, they are easier to wheel than a Open....
Here is what we go by as a group..

RULES:
The rules we have adopted follow the Midwest GT rules.

Chassis: Any 1/8 scale buggy based shaft driven nitro powered car. (Any off-road conversion is OK)

Body: Any commercially available GT style body.
1. Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. Rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and can not be completely cut out.

Tires: Sweep 50 shore slicks are the "spec" Tire. Timezone is selling them for the season at $56 a set of four.

Weight: Minimum dry weight of 3500 grams.

Engine: Any .21 to .28 displacement “spec” style engine.
1. All factory installed internal parts with NO modifications.
2. Must be commercially available.
3. Regular price suggested to be under $200 not including tax. (Use Tower Hobbies, Stormer Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies or any other large retail store as price reference.)
4. .21 motors to have no more than 3 ports.

Pipes: Any tuned pipe is OK.

If you want to share setups with us and advice, we would love to hear your input. Please share photos and Video.. and enjoy!
If you want to sell you products great, but if you start causing problems, and create a problem for other vendors, leave. We are here to have fun..bench race and share stories and information about a Hobby/Sport that we love..
Cheers,
Clete

Clete
SnotRocket Racing, Team TimeZone, Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies, McKune Design, RC Plus... Thanks for all the help guys!
all hail the snot rocket!!!

i just might have some fun with you guys this season clete, got a car for me ?? i supply the engine program
Old 04-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by houston

i just might have some fun with you guys this season clete, got a car for me ?? i supply the engine program
HAHA!....
Monty I will glady share my pit and my DM with you anytime! We have been buzzing about another 3 hour enduro race all winter. We had great fun with it last fall and lots of new interested drivers.

For those of you that have open class and/or a $280 motor rule... Talk to this guy... Houston's Engine Service.... "Bigger Than Texas"..
oh dude, thats money.. did i just write and new slogan.... free.... for you... all day..

See you at the track!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I second Jerry, Clete for President
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

CLETE.....

Thanks for your undying efforts to promote the GT car and it's extreme fun factor.

Thanks to the Timezone Raceway folks one and all.......

[Thawk....got the transponder on that barstool yet??????]
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by houston

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
CLETE.....

Thanks for your undying efforts to promote the GT car and it's extreme fun factor.

Thanks to the Timezone Raceway folks one and all.......

[Thawk....got the transponder on that barstool yet??????]
Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words... but I am just one of many in our "community"...
Cousin Gus, and all of you do way more that I!...So many of you are taking time to travel and promote GT and RC racing all over the nation.. Thank You!
I wish I had the time to do so, work keeps me close the desk and the phone.

Please let all the GT guys know that this a thread that represents “US” standing around, sitting in lawn chairs, smoking stinky cheap cigars while drinking from our favorite bottle or red cup… Speak to each other with the same respect that you would face to face….. Um unless.. you know me personally… then we can rip on each other..
Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words... but I am just one of many in our "community"...
Cousin Gus, and all of you do way more that I!...So many of you are taking time to travel and promote GT and RC racing all over the nation.. Thank You!
I wish I had the time to do so, work keeps me close the desk and the phone.

Please let all the GT guys know that this a thread that represents “US” standing around, sitting in lawn chairs, smoking stinky cheap cigars while drinking from our favorite bottle or red cup… Speak to each other with the same respect that you would face to face….. Um unless.. you know me personally… then we can rip on each other..
let 'er rip!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Spooky's crew will be there to have some great GT racing with the Timezone crew. Cousin Clete , Thawk and the boys will be swarmed by the reaper shirts. Big time fun and gooood racing. Someone out there tell me what the best legal engine will be.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+ 1 like rules. Keep em simple.

Could you post some info on Timezone and your races coming up.. Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default GT2

its nice to hear that others love the GT too! i race in IL at leisurehours an we see this sunday if the GTs can still have a heat but good luck small tip impanema sport makes a wide rear tire that lets me take the turn at the end of the straight away with no rear slipping out
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Enjoy, thats one of the reasons behind the design
Old 04-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Gus, I know you wont run it, but the dirt cheap force .28. TQ'ed with it last year. Draining the old gas out of the barstool, puttin the race gas in. Filling the tires up to 80 psi...for Clete Might have to throw some money down on fast lap Ill stay out of it unless someone starts acting cocky

FNG Ryan
Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Default Motor

Gus,

I picked up a Novarossi P3X... I think that is what it's called... Ran the motor at the enduro and it worked great... had Houston's Engine Service throw a Rod in it for me this week.... He said the motor looked in good shape. $199.00...
I ran a Novarossi "limited Edition" last year and it had plenty of grunt.

Troy ran a B5... and that thing was screaming!... you may want to look at one of those too..

Anybody running the Alpha bodies that can share some compairsons to the PF-8?
I called Bill at IGT to see if he had any and could get me out 2 to test.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Gus, I know you wont run it, but the dirt cheap force .28. TQ'ed with it last year. Draining the old gas out of the barstool, puttin the race gas in. Filling the tires up to 80 psi...for Clete Might have to throw some money down on fast lap Ill stay out of it unless someone starts acting cocky

FNG Ryan
No bar stool for me!.. that thing is not safe!!!
Maybe I would consider it if I had a helmut and full leathers... no more shorts and t-shirts!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
+ 1 like rules. Keep em simple.

Could you post some info on Timezone and your races coming up.. Thanks
I think Rick may be still sorting out the dates... But take a look a the Rose City site... They landed a spot a PIR and will be having a three day event there as well.. HUGE track! even the open 1/8 scales have to stretch thier legs on the straight... Troy Mckune and Jeff Holt are working on that as we speak... Looking for sponsors and setting dates.. Xray has be really good to us in the past.. maybe they will be willing to come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.