Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Setup Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Okay....if 'Bill and Ted's RC Circus' is out, I do like.....

GT8
Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Dang Leon had to throw a wrench in the mix, LOL!!

I like GTR, too.

You have to say it to yourself like this, if someone ask. "hey what class you run or hey what kind of car is that"

Whats your answer?

I race GT8, IGT, GTR, IGT8, etc, etc.

Its a , you get the point.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

'Well....thank you.....I race GT8.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tonylunatic
Dang Leon had to throw a wrench in the mix, LOL!!

I like GTR, too.

You have to say it to yourself like this, if someone ask. "hey what class you run or hey what kind of car is that"

Whats your answer?

I race GT8, IGT, GTR, IGT8, etc, etc.

Its a , you get the point.
lol It's all good what ever is chosen will work just glad to see a level headed discussion.

Rock on Ted... I mean Clete
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

GT8 works for me.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Just a tap on Clete's bumper here to get this

ahead of that damn mattress advertisement.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My word! I go on vacation for a couple of days and we go from monkey poo flinging, to structure and organization! This is GREAT! My vote for GT8!
Sunny and warm today! I'm itchin.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

Default Support for GT and Goals of Rules

All:

I'm jumping in kind of late and don't want to hinder the open discussion. Any talk about how to grow this fun class is valuable. I always think of two things when faced with these rule types of questions, the new guy and close racing. If we can keep these two principles aligned, everyone wins.

Common sense rules help keep racing close and fun. Within this framework we can also control costs and attract those who haven't yet become totally addicted to nitro rc cars. You know who I'm talking about... Anyway, here's my take on what's been proposed so far:

1. Engines -- I vote for a 3 port .21 rather than a price max. An econo rossi based 3 port with an R7 rod will last for gallons of fuel, be easy to tune, and keep the racing close. Call it stock if you want, but opening up to any engine defeats my two principles.

2. Tires -- Spec tires help keep the racing tight and can control costs. Unprepped parking lots can chew up a set of soft racing slicks very quickly, and $60 a day for tires puts us into the 1/8th open bracket. Like my racing buddy Holt says, "Give um the Stones". Think throttle and car control when selecting a spec tire, both teaching and learning. Additionally, our club would never turn a newcomer away based on not having the proper tire or engine.

3. Bodies and Wings -- Keeping the sedan based body makes a lot of sense. Hard to gain alot of aero advantage and it has a scale look. New folks always seem attracted to a vehicle that looks realistic. Humm, why is the short course truck so popular???

4. A weigth minimum makes good sense, but let's not get crazy. We don't want people cutting their cars into swiss cheese or replacing everything with graphite trying to make weight.

Everything else will have a lesser impact on maintaining my princlples. A more robust clutch would help, so long as cost was within reason. Shaft drive is also good move.

Lastly, in order to keep the sport alive we must welcome the newbie. Novice class is the backbone of any racing group. Us old guy's won't be around for ever, and without new drivers the sport is finished. GT is a great oppourtunity for growth, so let's not screw this up by bickering over small stuff. I want rc racing around for my grandchildren, and their grandchildren.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just curious when people are saying "spec" tires? What does it mean? Also, why choose rubber over foam tires? Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

GT8 sounds very goode
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

Smile

Originally Posted by xxx123
Just curious when people are saying "spec" tires? What does it mean? Also, why choose rubber over foam tires? Thanks
'uniform specification' for all.....

I've never run anything but rubber tires on my GT8 but i've heard that they would give an advantage over rubber tires.......I'll stick with the performance I enjoy with the. 'SWEEP' tires.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthrea...GT-Class-Rules

something started on another site
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

foams would give better traction with proper prep but higher wear personally i like rubber i ran today T&T on untreated cold track with sweeps 50 yes it could get stupid but you could still go fast and not be a ping pong ball
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default GT8

Ok.. boys and girls, I hope you all had a great weekend...

Looks like GT8 is the Name for the class.. I like it!..
Also is looks like we are still on the same page with the rules and moving forward. I got a few PM's this weekend with nominations for the board... some regions have more than one some have none.... thats ok...
We can get the key players holding hands and playing together ... we can solidify the group....

I would like to nominate Mike Godson for this board... Keep in mind Mike Started GT8 in the northwest... he purchased a car... and then let everyone and his brother drive it! No lie.. I being one.. Congrats Mike and thank you...
This class was designed here in the NW to grow the interest in onroad nitro... ..
Below are a few of his thoughts.. In general they are in line with what we all wan to do..... .

All:

I'm jumping in kind of late and don't want to hinder the open discussion. Any talk about how to grow this fun class is valuable. I always think of two things when faced with these rule types of questions, the new guy and close racing. If we can keep these two principles aligned, everyone wins.

Common sense rules help keep racing close and fun. Within this framework we can also control costs and attract those who haven't yet become totally addicted to nitro rc cars. You know who I'm talking about... Anyway, here's my take on what's been proposed so far:

1. Engines -- I vote for a 3 port .21 rather than a price max. An econo rossi based 3 port with an R7 rod will last for gallons of fuel, be easy to tune, and keep the racing close. Call it stock if you want, but opening up to any engine defeats my two principles.

2. Tires -- Spec tires help keep the racing tight and can control costs. Unprepped parking lots can chew up a set of soft racing slicks very quickly, and $60 a day for tires puts us into the 1/8th open bracket. Like my racing buddy Holt says, "Give um the Stones". Think throttle and car control when selecting a spec tire, both teaching and learning. Additionally, our club would never turn a newcomer away based on not having the proper tire or engine.

3. Bodies and Wings -- Keeping the sedan based body makes a lot of sense. Hard to gain alot of aero advantage and it has a scale look. New folks always seem attracted to a vehicle that looks realistic. Humm, why is the short course truck so popular???

4. A weigth minimum makes good sense, but let's not get crazy. We don't want people cutting their cars into swiss cheese or replacing everything with graphite trying to make weight.

Everything else will have a lesser impact on maintaining my princlples. A more robust clutch would help, so long as cost was within reason. Shaft drive is also good move.

Lastly, in order to keep the sport alive we must welcome the newbie. Novice class is the backbone of any racing group. Us old guy's won't be around for ever, and without new drivers the sport is finished. GT is a great oppourtunity for growth, so let's not screw this up by bickering over small stuff. I want rc racing around for my grandchildren, and their grandchildren.

Godson
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

+ 1
I have the higher end motors but the motor rule will keep the racing closer.. A skilled driver will perform and do good with any motor even a 3 port if he is good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.