R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #106
Tech Regular
 
flyboi33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 266
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I will add here in Texas we run an open class for GT but I wish we had a spec class to.. If we did I would run both
__________________
DEE ROSS
SPONSORS: Serpent America/ Desoto Racing/ Novarossi Engines
Dialed-RC Hobbies / Futaba/ USN
flyboi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #107
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboi33 View Post
+ 1
I have the higher end motors but the motor rule will keep the racing closer.. A skilled driver will perform and do good with any motor even a 3 port if he is good
+1
__________________
Team Los Magnificos Rc
Desoto Racing
TONY-Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #108
Tech Elite
 
MAD916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Center Seca
Posts: 3,117
Default

Still not an owner of a GT8 car yet, but wonder if regarding spec tires a shore rating was set rather than just a single manufacture in hopes of keeping everyone happy and not excluding a manufacture. from a hobby shop perspective the stocking of mutliple manufacture and shores is a tough one since you may get stuck with a wall dog that just sit's there on the shelf and never sell, but from a competition standpoint sure would be nice to know you don't need to throw on a super soft tire to try and compete.. the harder shore tires we watched last year had an insane life to them and I was blown away how long the guys were able to get out of a single set....

guess the flip side is one manufacture 45 shore may not be the same as the other's and still require a quiver of tires in your box?????
__________________
Timezone Raceway Park " on-road outdoor european style road course.
Timezone II 60'x100' indoor carpet track. Host of the ROAR 2011 Carpet Nat's.
Timezonehobbies.com your new source for online RC products.
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #109
Tech Regular
 
C-Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 320
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
Still not an owner of a GT8 car yet, but wonder if regarding spec tires a shore rating was set rather than just a single manufacture in hopes of keeping everyone happy and not excluding a manufacture. from a hobby shop perspective the stocking of mutliple manufacture and shores is a tough one since you may get stuck with a wall dog that just sit's there on the shelf and never sell, but from a competition standpoint sure would be nice to know you don't need to throw on a super soft tire to try and compete.. the harder shore tires we watched last year had an insane life to them and I was blown away how long the guys were able to get out of a single set....

guess the flip side is one manufacture 45 shore may not be the same as the other's and still require a quiver of tires in your box?????
The spec tire rule is only as per a track and their local needs. I feel that just make the tire rule rubber tire only. No foams. That'll keep costs down and racing close.

Really I only need 2 different shores through out our race season in Utah. 50's for when it's under 80ish degrees, and 55's for anything above that. On rare occasions I get out a set of 45's, but thats some really chilly weather!
C-Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #110
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: at the track
Posts: 840
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Are rubber tires last longer than foam? I think just race whay you brung is cool to attract more new on road comers. Although i dont race at your track, just bring them race and have run. You can give a rookie a 7 ports Nova and....
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #111
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,674
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

As to tires I would make it like VTA - one brand - part number - shore. Or leave the tires open. Having run IL, NE, TX, CO and NV and from April - October, I've used different tire shores, design ..........

I agree with the 3 port .21 off road based, no cost cap, but should we also include the .28's that come with the RTR. Even if they do not last, they should be able to run them, but this would be a very SHORT list.

Evrything else looks good!!
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #112
Tech Regular
 
C-Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 320
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
Are rubber tires last longer than foam? I think just race whay you brung is cool to attract more new on road comers. Although i dont race at your track, just bring them race and have run. You can give a rookie a 7 ports Nova and....
Well, all the RTR GT8 cars come with rubber tires. The rubber tires do last longer and are more forgiving as far as track prep and if the track gets wet. Plus the rubber tires will keep racing fair and even.
C-Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #113
Tech Regular
 
C-Trickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 320
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
As to tires I would make it like VTA - one brand - part number - shore. Or leave the tires open. Having run IL, NE, TX, CO and NV and from April - October, I've used different tire shores, design ..........

I agree with the 3 port .21 off road based, no cost cap, but should we also include the .28's that come with the RTR. Even if they do not last, they should be able to run them, but this would be a very SHORT list.

Evrything else looks good!!
Leave the tires open, just no foams.

As far as engine rules. I'm on the fence about this. Just because the beauty of a GT car is that they will be fairly competitive with almost engine you choose to run. So say you were running monster trucks and decided to try on road. You could get a kit or RTR and run your higher end .28 out of one of your MT's. I know we had a handful of guys here that would buy rollers and run their HPI 4.6, Picco 28, Axial .28 RR, etc. because it was an engine they had on hand. That way we can get more people in the class that already run nitro simply because they have a spare big block lying around.
C-Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #114
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 884
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I think any rubber tire should be allowed, except where a track feels they want a spec tire for a given race. Sportsman and open classes would work well. Sportsman can be controlled with a 3 port .21, but the stock engines with kits will make it difficult to include a variety of those. I personally feel that any .21 to .28 engine should be allowed and let the driver ability dictate the class they run. No sponsored drivers in sportsman and this will eliminate all the engine hassles of can you change the carb and pipe, and the head and use turbo plugs and a different rod. Way too many options on trying to control a sportsman class engine.
__________________
People spend their lives worrying about death. I'm sliding in broadside h ollering "Wow, what a ride"
spooky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #115
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 116
Default

I know you guys have talked about the engines .21 and .28 and so forth. I think the engine should be anything you want as long as it is an off-road engine. On-road engines are expensive and I think should be out of the question. I know some may not agree but I just wanted to throw that out. If we want to keep it cost effective that might be something to consider.
__________________
WWW.IGTHOBBIES.COM - Your #1 GT Source!!!

Serpent Cobra GT / OS Speed / Sweep Tires / KO Propo
chaderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #116
Tech Addict
 
Clete Landefeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 632
Default

Yep yep... we are all saying the same thing in different words.. this is a good thing.. The board will create the final languge and lay it down for the rest of us to unite and comply too.. this will give every event organizer a solid base as they bring GT8 onto thier list of classes.... and this is what we want.

I will keep the nomitations open until wed. then it's voting and moving on to rule solidification... then we will sprinkle some nitro on them, and go racing...

As newbies come in they will know what they are up against and we can help them with car set up and mods that will meet the set rules and keep them in a durable race car ...
Cory... I got your car all set up ...just need to put a 2nd bearing in the clutch and put some brakes on the car that will last more that 2 laps..get ready to break it in... I would call Mark at TimeZone to see if he has any tires for it... 45 or 50s...
__________________
Clete
SnotRocket Racing, Team TimeZone, Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies, McKune Design, RC Plus... Thanks for all the help guys!
Clete Landefeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #117
Tech Fanatic
 
*1speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 813
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
I think any rubber tire should be allowed, except where a track feels they want a spec tire for a given race. Sportsman and open classes would work well. Sportsman can be controlled with a 3 port .21, but the stock engines with kits will make it difficult to include a variety of those. I personally feel that any .21 to .28 engine should be allowed and let the driver ability dictate the class they run. No sponsored drivers in sportsman and this will eliminate all the engine hassles of can you change the carb and pipe, and the head and use turbo plugs and a different rod. Way too many options on trying to control a sportsman class engine.
Well said

Would like to add this one thought to the engine port discussion,

I see more than a few off/road guys trying the class, and most of them would prefer to run the buggy engines that they all ready are running and are comfortable with.

Since one of the benefits to these racers is to transfer equipment 5 port engines seems to be very common and saves money so an additional power plant does not need to be purchased.



Buggy based cars, buggy based engines... Makes sense to me



As to open class I still agree to an open engine format


.
__________________
🏁🏁🏁 🏆🏆🏆🏆 2013 XRAY XB9 GT8 🏆🏆🏆🏆 🏁🏁🏁
2013 & 2014 R.O.A.R. REGION 1 & NY State GT8 CHAMPION!!
....................... 🏆 SPONSORS 🏆 .....................
ABSOLUTE HOBBYZ / Engines Modded by The Nitro Shop

Last edited by *1speedy; 04-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #118
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 219
Default

Question, when people say .21-3 port engine, are we talking about spec class ? I like everything Im reading, I personally think tires should be kept as rubber and no specific brand or shore so that all different manufacturers can compete in pricing. Again this are all ideas for the elected group to discuss.
__________________
Rino Lino
___________________
www.RCtarget.com / SWEEP TIRES / IGT8 / TESLA ENGINES / KOSMIC FUEL / CAPRICORN /
Bodies by: www.era1FXcustoms.com
rinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #119
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 600
Default

I agree that the tires should be left open as long as they are rubber. Most of the time the new guys buy what is in stock at the LHS. The LHS probably won't have anything that is junk for the conditions of the local track anyways so this point is taken care off.

For the engines I say to just limit them to .21 up to .28, this way the off road buggy/truggy guys can try the class and see if they like it. I have been racing with both on and off road engines. The lap times are not that different with good engines. The torque from the off road engines most of the time makes up for the RPM that can achieve the on road versions. The key here is gearing correctly for the motor.

We race open here and I'm not sure if there will ever be a Spec class since most just want to fly. As a matter of fact most of the bashers use .28 and up engines since all they want is all out acceleration. LRP .28 and .30 are the norm for them. once they go to the track most end up with .21 motors.

One point that most haven't even touched yet is the electronic aids such as HPI D-Box. These to me are cheating devices... Therefore they should be illegal and for that the rules must clearly state it so no one uses them.
jneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #120
Tech Addict
 
bassman2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UT/TX/IN/PA
Posts: 718
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneg View Post
I agree that the tires should be left open as long as they are rubber. Most of the time the new guys buy what is in stock at the LHS. The LHS probably won't have anything that is junk for the conditions of the local track anyways so this point is taken care off.

For the engines I say to just limit them to .21 up to .28, this way the off road buggy/truggy guys can try the class and see if they like it. I have been racing with both on and off road engines. The lap times are not that different with good engines. The torque from the off road engines most of the time makes up for the RPM that can achieve the on road versions. The key here is gearing correctly for the motor.

We race open here and I'm not sure if there will ever be a Spec class since most just want to fly. As a matter of fact most of the bashers use .28 and up engines since all they want is all out acceleration. LRP .28 and .30 are the norm for them. once they go to the track most end up with .21 motors.

One point that most haven't even touched yet is the electronic aids such as HPI D-Box. These to me are cheating devices... Therefore they should be illegal and for that the rules must clearly state it so no one uses them.
Agreed with Spooky, 1Speedy, Jneg, and Rino.
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
2015 teams/sponsors:
Serpentamerica/Desoto Racing, Murnan Modified Motors, VP powermaster Fuel, Sweep Racing USA, Speed Passion, BUKU performance products
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net