R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 AM   #1471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

how long is the straight after the corner... and how wide is the track?
sparksy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:01 AM   #1472
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by lawndoggie
At my locak track, after my long straight (well not that long at all) there is a turn that is 90degrees, how do people approach this with their throttle?
You need to get a feeling of the car first. In short, you need a lot of track time to get used to how and when you can push the car. How much you can do this depends on how you set the car's shocks, chassis and clutch.

If you're using a one way front, you need to brake much earlier. Because your brakes cannot be set hard to lock the rear tires, the brakes EPA need to be as little as possible. Just enough that the car slows down. Brake only when the car is straight. Once you got the distance that you should brake before taking the corner, you need to carry speed into the corners. So you can either let your throttle off or throttle a little to maintain that slow speed around the corner. How much faster you can mover around the corner depends on the traction your car has without flipping over.

The best is to watch at the trackside and see how the fast drivers take that corner. Then try to emulate it by slowly going through it and go faster once you are more certain with the car.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:09 AM   #1473
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
You need to get a feeling of the car first. In short, you need a lot of track time to get used to how and when you can push the car. How much you can do this depends on how you set the car's shocks, chassis and clutch.

If you're using a one way front, you need to brake much earlier. Because your brakes cannot be set hard to lock the rear tires, the brakes EPA need to be as little as possible. Just enough that the car slows down. Brake only when the car is straight. Once you got the distance that you should brake before taking the corner, you need to carry speed into the corners. So you can either let your throttle off or throttle a little to maintain that slow speed around the corner. How much faster you can mover around the corner depends on the traction your car has without flipping over.

The best is to watch at the trackside and see how the fast drivers take that corner. Then try to emulate it by slowly going through it and go faster once you are more certain with the car.
yea I agree... for a n00B like me, there is nothing more important than track time... the wierd thing is I have yet found a snake racer in the two locak tracks that I have been to
Anyway, I got new bumper set! and I am taking 16 days off this month... will be hitting the track daily...
As for the track, its NARROW, the straight is 2 meters wide... I think between 25-30 meters long?
Its got lotsa trackion, the guys at LHS told me they make VERY thin tires and cut the front rim to 24mm to reduce traction....
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:16 AM   #1474
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Its got lotsa trackion, the guys at LHS told me they make VERY thin tires and cut the front rim to 24mm to reduce traction....
Maybe you may want to practise on a larger track and get used to driving and controlling the car first. Then get used to driving on the track...

Ummm, too much traction? Use harder front tires like 42 or even 45.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 AM   #1475
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

2m wide... so its a little skinnier than the one I run on...

The only fast 90deg corner we have can be taken wide open throttle on a good traction day. But on a normal club day it can be a little hairy to go flat out through it. I usually just back off just before turning in, and then get back on full just before the apex.

The next corner will also come into play in how you take the corner... depending on where it is and what it is, you may find your laptimes better taking a line that suits entry into the next corner.. ie, you might be able to take the corner flat out, but may be too hot and too wide for the next.

Watch other racers lines. It doesnt matter what car they drive, principles are the same.

Oh, as for throttle position during cornering... It depends on your car setup.. you can actually steer you car with throttle manipulation once you are comfortable with your car. eg, depending on setup, more power can mean more push or more turn.

Last edited by sparksy; 12-05-2003 at 03:28 AM.
sparksy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:22 AM   #1476
Tech Elite

Quote:

Say, what are you going to do with two Murnan Modified NSRs? For the 2 snakes in time for race?
Blimey! You don't miss much do you?

Well, first Grinder has to reply. I thought I was bad with emails ... he's worse! So I haven't heard if he will take the order let alone if it'll come in time for the race.

Second, the order was for me and a friend. Mine will go in the 710, the 705 already has a "mongrel" engine and the Impulse Pro will be a "safety car" using some compressionless engine
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #1477
Tech Regular

Now that i think of it, the car is too soft, i.e I need to make it stiffing into and out of turns... its VERY slow entering turns, it makes huge radius, and its very slow coming out of turns...
I think the shocks are too soft......maybe not giving enough "reaction" to push the car at turns..
Old 12-05-2003, 03:38 AM   #1478
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I think the shocks are too soft......maybe not giving enough "reaction" to push the car at turns..
To make your car wake up and be more responsive, use thicker shock oils for the front and rear. Or you could set the front to 1 or 2 holes and the rear 2 or 3 holes in the shock piston. Harder springs like red is nice also. Else, the car will be a little lazy.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #1479
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Blimey! You don't miss much do you?
It would be interesting to see the Grinder's engine perform.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:41 AM   #1480
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
The next corner will also come into play in how you take the corner... depending on where it is and what it is, you may find your laptimes better taking a line that suits entry into the next corner.. ie, you might be able to take the corner flat out, but may be too hot and too wide for the next.

Watch other racers lines. It doesnt matter what car they drive, principles are the same.

Oh, as for throttle position during cornering... It depends on your car setup.. you can actually steer you car with throttle manipulation once you are comfortable with your car. eg, depending on setup, more power can mean more push or more turn.
Yes, sparksy is giving very good tips here.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:04 AM   #1481
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yes, sparksy is giving very good tips here.
Master D, just a few hours ago you were at 5490... now over 5520!! Like this, you'll get over 20000 post by the end of next year!!!
Old 12-05-2003, 04:09 AM   #1482
Tech Adept

Wink nice pictures

Hey guys found some nice pictures of the new snake on the starting grid 2004 conference.

Try the following link:
http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/bac...howforgotten=2
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:09 AM   #1483
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Like this, you'll get over 20000 post by the end of next year!!!
Only 20,000??
Old 12-05-2003, 04:14 AM   #1484
Tech Prophet

Default Re: nice pictures

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbie
Hey guys found some nice pictures of the new snake on the starting grid 2004 conference.
Thanks for the link Herbie ! The pictures look like they were taken by someone not from the Serpent factory. Looks like the production car !
Old 12-05-2003, 04:17 AM   #1485
Tech Adept

Talking

Very nice looking piece of enginering from the boys at Serpent don't you think.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote