R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-06-2004, 02:52 AM   #9601
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by PSI Racing
So how do you like the 710 so far?
Love it! It's a dream of a car. Not much driving experience with it yet (5 or 6 tanks), but how easy it is to drive and setup is amazing compared to the 705
Unfortunately rain has stopped play Saturday was cut short because of rain (still spent 6 hours at the track ), Sunday not possible at all. Yesterday I wanted to go, but it rained the whole day. Tomorrow I have off, but looks rainy again and will remain so for a little while still
I hope it'll brighten up a little over the weekend, though, otherwise I'm only going to be driving my Surikarn.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:54 AM   #9602
Tech Elite

Default ZAC Kawahara tires

Anyone tried these?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:02 AM   #9603
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Love it! It's a dream of a car. Not much driving experience with it yet (5 or 6 tanks), but how easy it is to drive and setup is amazing compared to the 705
Unfortunately rain has stopped play Saturday was cut short because of rain (still spent 6 hours at the track ), Sunday not possible at all. Yesterday I wanted to go, but it rained the whole day. Tomorrow I have off, but looks rainy again and will remain so for a little while still
I hope it'll brighten up a little over the weekend, though, otherwise I'm only going to be driving my Surikarn.

Cheers, Mark.

I feel for you on the whole weather thing.
I live in Southern California, and weather usually isn't a problem down here.
I never got a 705.
I got the original Impulse, then an Impulse Pro.
I was going to get a 705, but my wife got me my 1/8.
I knew she wouldn't let me spend money on the 705, so I started running the 1/8 more than my Impulse.
When I wanted to get back into touring cars, I wanted something different.
I was thinking of getting a G4 or a 705.
The G4 was different than other cars out at the time.
The 705's design wasn't too much different than my Impulses.
I'm glad I didn't get either car.
That's when I found out about Serpent coming out with the 710.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:09 AM   #9604
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I bought a second hand Vector NT last year - justs needs an engine and a servo Have you ever driven the 1:12th scale GTP style cars? They are really fun to drive, but I still find tourcars more challenging
Is the Vector NT 1:12 scale? I would love to get into 1:12th electric, for the learning and practice and also cos it is relatively cheap...
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:15 AM   #9605
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I feel for you on the whole weather thing.
I live in Southern California, and weather usually isn't a problem down here.
I never got a 705.
I got the original Impulse, then an Impulse Pro.
I was going to get a 705, but my wife got me my 1/8.
I knew she wouldn't let me spend money on the 705, so I started running the 1/8 more than my Impulse.
When I wanted to get back into touring cars, I wanted something different.
I was thinking of getting a G4 or a 705.
The G4 was different than other cars out at the time.
The 705's design wasn't too much different than my Impulses.
I'm glad I didn't get either car.
That's when I found out about Serpent coming out with the 710.
Similar thing for me... I was looking for the impulse (heard good things) then I found the 705, was also seriously looking to buy, but I heard a rumour, then waited a month or so, then december I started looking and getting quotes and found this forum, read through it and then well, you know the rest. Mark, can you tell me how long it took for you to get your parts from Serpent? I dont want to wait another 3 or 4 weeks before I can complete my car. I can get from a guy here, but it is spending money again. I have waited a month and a half for my servo and stuff. I should have gone with the air shipping on that.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:18 AM   #9606
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
Is the Vector NT 1:12 scale? I would love to get into 1:12th electric, for the learning and practice and also cos it is relatively cheap...
The Vector NT is a 1:8th scale nitro car - it and the Veteq were the serpent 1:8ths before the 950 came out.

1:12th is relatively cheap - tyres last ages and the engines don't have to be powerful, as they are so light.
But you need to run indoors as the ride hight is so low and the suspension is so simple.

In terms of setup there isn't much to do - it comes more from applying the right tyre compond to make the tyres softer.

From my point of view 1:12th is great fun, but not as entertaining as 1:10th - but I'm someone who really likes to invest time on the setup and fidiling around - 1:12th doesn't really lend itself to this.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:20 AM   #9607
Tech Elite

Quote:
Similar thing for me... I was looking for the impulse (heard good things) then I found the 705, was also seriously looking to buy, but I heard a rumour, then waited a month or so, then december I started looking and getting quotes and found this forum, read through it and then well, you know the rest. Mark, can you tell me how long it took for you to get your parts from Serpent? I dont want to wait another 3 or 4 weeks before I can complete my car. I can get from a guy here, but it is spending money again. I have waited a month and a half for my servo and stuff. I should have gone with the air shipping on that.
Serpent posted the parts immediately for me - and being in Europe, the post only took a couple of days. For you, it'll be dependant upon your post and not Serpent.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:21 AM   #9608
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The Vector NT is a 1/8 scale nitro.
The Vector NT and the Veteq were Serpent's 1/8 cars before they made the 950 and now the 950R.

Oops.
I guess I was too slow.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:23 AM   #9609
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What parts do you need now?
Old 05-06-2004, 03:28 AM   #9610
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
The Vector NT is a 1:8th scale nitro car - it and the Veteq were the serpent 1:8ths before the 950 came out.

1:12th is relatively cheap - tyres last ages and the engines don't have to be powerful, as they are so light.
But you need to run indoors as the ride hight is so low and the suspension is so simple.

In terms of setup there isn't much to do - it comes more from applying the right tyre compond to make the tyres softer.

From my point of view 1:12th is great fun, but not as entertaining as 1:10th - but I'm someone who really likes to invest time on the setup and fidiling around - 1:12th doesn't really lend itself to this.
You'll enjoy running your Vector NT if you like to invest time on setting the car up.
I own a Veteq, and you have to spend a lot of time to learn how to set that car up.
I enjoy running the Veteq, even though some people hate it.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:34 AM   #9611
Tech Elite

Quote:
You'll enjoy running your Vector NT if you like to invest time on setting the car up.
I own a Veteq, and you have to spend a lot of time to learn how to set that car up.
I enjoy running the Veteq, even though some people hate it.
I think it comes down to the type of person you are - like I say, I love messing about and probably the Veteq would have been a good challenge for me, but I decided on the Vector NT on cost grounds and that it was owned by the ex-German champ and master engine builder Karl-Heinz Meister

But, I think it'll probably have to wait a while before I run it - I want to concentrate on 1:10th first of all. It's great to watch a 1:8th, though - they are soooooo fast!

Cheers, Mark.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:43 AM   #9612
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I think it comes down to the type of person you are - like I say, I love messing about and probably the Veteq would have been a good challenge for me, but I decided on the Vector NT on cost grounds and that it was owned by the ex-German champ and master engine builder Karl-Heinz Meister

But, I think it'll probably have to wait a while before I run it - I want to concentrate on 1:10th first of all. It's great to watch a 1:8th, though - they are soooooo fast!

Cheers, Mark.
I love seeing how things work.
That's probably why I enjoy the Veteq so much.
The 710 has a lot of settings to mess around with also.
That's why I like the 710.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:56 AM   #9613
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What parts do you need now?
I thought the Vector was 1:8th, but I wasn't sure. I know that most of the time it depends on my mail system, but I was just wandering if they send via airmail or surfacemail.

PSI, I am missing parts in the kit, two 8mm grub screws, and the front one-way pulley, I think I got the front diff pulley instead. I thought that when Serpent send the pulley, they can also send the grub screws. I will build the back end and the rest of the car before I get the parts... I cant wait till saturday... I will run in my engine, and my better half wants to be here, she needs to study, and she will study at my house, but there will be a noise of a beautifull note.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:03 AM   #9614
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Woow ! You cut the center aluminum bar out?
I just didn't like mounting the transponder on top. That's just adding another layer of carbon to interfere with the tansponder signal. (Although there is a hole in it...) And the two pieces that remain from the aluminum bracket stay in place really well. First mount the alu parts between the bearing blocks, then tighten the screws that hold the alu parts to the carbon upper bumper plate.

Quote:
Very nice body Kevin. I might want to copy that colour scheme !
Thanks! Better hurry before I patent it!

Quote:
Hey, is that the RDLogic pipe? Why are you using such a long fuel tubing? Not enough cc in the tank? Still with original rear shock tower?
Yes, it's an EFRA legal one, probably not the newest. The fuel tubing is laid out in the only way possible for me to mount the external fuel filter next to the tank, below the upper deck, where I like it. The rear shocktower is indeed the old one, I havn't had time to break it yet.
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:07 AM   #9615
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I thought the Vector was 1:8th, but I wasn't sure. I know that most of the time it depends on my mail system, but I was just wandering if they send via airmail or surfacemail.

PSI, I am missing parts in the kit, two 8mm grub screws, and the front one-way pulley, I think I got the front diff pulley instead. I thought that when Serpent send the pulley, they can also send the grub screws. I will build the back end and the rest of the car before I get the parts... I cant wait till saturday... I will run in my engine, and my better half wants to be here, she needs to study, and she will study at my house, but there will be a noise of a beautifull note.
I remember someone saying that they had the diff pulley instead of the one-way pulley.
That was awhile back though.
Serpent has excellent customer service, so you should get your parts soon.