R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-11-2004, 10:39 PM   #5776
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by KMac
The G4 has a smaller ID washer on one side of the thrust bearing as well.
That's what I thought as all thrust bearings have similar design.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:52 PM   #5777
Tech Fanatic

Hey dee, thank you for clearing that up... It is what I meant but couldnt say.... They are all the same fundamental thing, (ring-balls-ring) something like a ball diff (if you know what I am trying to say) but design differences... sizes of the balls, the rings, whatever... Do you know what I mean, am I making sense...?

Anyways... look what I saw on the HPI R40 forum, I was over there yesterday doing a little "SERPENT Recruitment" and wanted to see the reaction and found this, HPI are trying to be more competitive, (not meaning anything by it )

Current R40 owners dont despair! There is a conversion kit which contains EVERYTHING you need for the conversion except the titanium screwset, that includes the 0.8 module gears. The 0.8 module gears also come with the 2004 kit. The conversion kit should only run 100-120 bux which is pretty darned good. The best part of this is you will have all the spares left over from your converted car.

I am not a huge fan of 0.8 module gears in fact, as my V1R was eating them up very quickly. The certainly wear and get damaged much faster than the stock gears.

Shame... SERPENT KICKS A..

About the servos...

Multiplex seems to be supported by HITEC, but looks like something different. I would love to get a KO servo, but the COST!!! I cant justify $99... but I suppose I need the best as I will have the best (S710) cant wait, but at least it is better than the equivalent of ~$210 here...
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #5778
Tech Fanatic

Another little thing, what is the highest mAh rating or the receiver batteries for the 710 and which on-line shop sells them, I found an 800mAh batteries, but I am always looking for more.... NiMh preferably as I dont like NiCd. Can you imagine Lithium Polymer (LiPo) what Looooong run times...
Old 03-11-2004, 11:12 PM   #5779
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
Another little thing, what is the highest mAh rating or the receiver batteries for the 710 and which on-line shop sells them, I found an 800mAh batteries, but I am always looking for more.... NiMh preferably as I dont like NiCd.
Yeah, the highest I know at the moment are rated 800 mAH for the NiMH. Are you familiar with soldering? If you're not, I suggest to get someone who is familiar to solder it for you. A slight mistake on the receiver pack here and there could be costly not to mention frustrating for the owner.

Quote:
Can you imagine Lithium Polymer (LiPo) what Looooong run times...
You need a charger that is able to charge Li-Io cells. I believe 1 cell is rated 3.7 V. 2 cells and it would be 7.4 V. That would be too much for the receiver. Don't know the after effects of running more than the recommended 6V on a receiver and would certainly not want to try it out.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:17 PM   #5780
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Do you know what I mean, am I making sense...?
Hey, no worries. I get what you mean...

Quote:
Anyways... look what I saw on the HPI R40 forum, I was over there yesterday doing a little "SERPENT Recruitment" and wanted to see the reaction and found this, HPI are trying to be more competitive, (not meaning anything by it )
Adding all those goodies will make the price up to the level of a Serpent. Well, I guess somebody in HPI realises that they need to start and get competitive which is all good for them !

Quote:
Multiplex seems to be supported by HITEC, but looks like something different. I would love to get a KO servo, but the COST!!! I cant justify $99... but I suppose I need the best as I will have the best (S710) cant wait, but at least it is better than the equivalent of ~$210 here...
USD 210 for a servo? OMG. You guys really pay top dollar there for anything RC.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 PM   #5781
Tech Fanatic

Im using 800mah ni-mh as well for my receiver pack. I think they also have 900 or 1000mah ni-mh by Panasonic but you would have to assemble it yourself. I may be wrong on the numbers but im sure there is something higher than 800 because the time I bought mine I had the option to get higher mah batts. The battery mentioned you cant really solder them because of the battery shape on the positive side. The head looks for similar to the Duracell ones you buy at the stores. Maybe the bump is too big? My 800mah runs good all day. But I do charge it every 7-10 runs just for the heck of it while im working on my car. I had them die out one time from a day of racing but luckily my fail-safe kicked it
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:25 PM   #5782
Tech Fanatic

I know that some of the 'not-so-experienced' electric users like to use their 7.xV cells as both receiver and main batteries... but because of the mechanical speed controls, you get a runaway when the battery gets low as the motor draws too much... I can solder like a king (Not), but I can solder. I was doing industrial electronics at college. I will get a pack from RC-Mushroom. Why do you mean can I solder, do you suggest making a pack? What sort of power rating do you think I could get? 1000mAh or 1100???
Old 03-11-2004, 11:32 PM   #5783
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
Im using 800mah ni-mh as well for my receiver pack. I think they also have 900 or 1000mah ni-mh by Panasonic but you would have to assemble it yourself.
Cool. Any links to the Panasonic AAA NiMH batteries?

Quote:
The battery mentioned you cant really solder them because of the battery shape on the positive side. The head looks for similar to the Duracell ones you buy at the stores. Maybe the bump is too big?
There are two types of batteries. The ones that are commercially available with tabs and those industrial ones that come without tabs and flat head. The latter is easier to solder but the former is not impossible to solder either.

But when assembling your own receiver pack is concerned, I would rather get them spot welded. My 2 cents.

Quote:
I had them die out one time from a day of racing but luckily my fail-safe kicked it
Rarely happens that new receiver packs just die out. If you switch off the fail safe, you could probably run a few more laps. Fail safe on the 3PK (and other fail safe units as well) kick in at 4.8 V. With 4.8V, you can still run your servos.

What I'm trying to say is the fail safe kicked in just to safe guard you and your car before anything untoward can happen. The receiver pack did not just die out. Else, the fail safe would not have worked too.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:40 PM   #5784
Tech Fanatic

Thanks dee... I guess it should be cheaper and more efficient to build my own pack then... will be fun building it ALL... I think I will get a receiver pack discharger, cheap and will condition the pack, the NiMh cell dont have a 'memory' but they actually do, a small one but it is there. Also NiMh normally performs best after it has had its 3rd or 4th cycle... but they should be stored charged....
Old 03-11-2004, 11:49 PM   #5785
Tech Fanatic

Intital D, or Jason, Tony? hehe
I dont have a link for the batteries but for sure there are higher ones than 800mah, maybe 900. They sell it at the local battery shop.
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:35 AM   #5786
Tech Fanatic

I will post a link, I am just a bit 'snowed' now, being in IT... I hate it. I will post one in an hour or so...
Old 03-12-2004, 01:06 AM   #5787
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

something weird going on?? Assembled my front way and put it on the car. then spent a couple of ours, polishing, sanding, deburring and assembling the rear diff and put it in the car. I rotated the diff and it wobbles!!!??? Rotate the front one way and it wobbles as well? Any body have any idea what is going on??? Please help, thanks. Tired now, must go to bed and get up in 5 hours to go to work!
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:23 AM   #5788
Tech Fanatic

hi there, hows this...

No more than 800mAh

http://www.onlybatteries.com/items.asp?db=63

Panasonic seem to go to a max of 750mAh

GP go up to 850mAh it seems

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/defaul...ort=1a&&page=1

G-MAXX seem to do 1000mAh!!!

http://www.g-maxx.com/product_info.php?products_id=165

SWEET
Attached Files
File Type: pdf panasonic nimh.pdf (200.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-12-2004, 01:26 AM   #5789
Tech Fanatic

Hey way to go... G-MAXX, anyone ever heard of them? they any good?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf g-maxx nimh.pdf (62.1 KB, 147 views)
Old 03-12-2004, 02:28 AM   #5790
Tech Initiate

Quote:

G-MAXX seem to do 1000mAh!!!

http://www.g-maxx.com/product_info.php?products_id=165
Check the dimensions: these batteries are longer.

I made my best purchases on ebay: try this
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50
You can ask directly for different quantities.
pelos is offline   Reply With Quote