R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2004, 01:54 AM   #3556
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default Re: 5th body mount

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Here is how I did it D....
Finally ! A partial pic of your car !

Thanks. That's clear enough. The next shell I won't be reaming the extra 5th hole in the body.

Say have you run the car yet? I assume you have seeing that you've used red springs. What are your impressions?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 01:58 AM   #3557
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Front view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (84.6 KB, 133 views)
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:00 AM   #3558
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Do I need to add weight FastHarry?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weight.jpg (111.7 KB, 140 views)
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:04 AM   #3559
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Do I need to add weight FastHarry?
Is that weight with your modded hollow front shaft, Impact dogbones and PRO wheel axles?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:09 AM   #3560
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default Re: Re: 5th body mount

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Finally ! A partial pic of your car !

Thanks. That's clear enough. The next shell I won't be reaming the extra 5th hole in the body.

Say have you run the car yet? I assume you have seeing that you've used red springs. What are your impressions?
I havent had a lot of time driving it yet. We just moved house over christmas so I'm still unpacking alot of our stuff. But from the limited amount of tracktime I like the car so far. Easy to setup. Predictable.

Preliminary testing has me thinking it drives a lot like my old MTX3. Corners very flat with nice midcorner grip.. a little under steer on turn in. Is still box stock setup wise except the red springs. So I am pleased so far.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:11 AM   #3561
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by clmbia45
I am talking about the vertical dimension between the radio tray and the chassis. My KO Propo PDS-2143FET measures 20.1 mm, so the 9550 is actually 0.9 mm thicker. Servo vibration via the chassis was felt by some to be the reason for servo failures in the Vetec. And all servo manufacturers I am familiar with, use anti-shock mountings to prevent this.
I read your PM about this but I'll answer here so all can benefit.

Most servos should fit without problems. Be aware the holes in the servo mount are larger than the screws so make sure the servo is as far "up" in the mount as possible. If you still have problems with it touching the chassis, take a little off the notches of the servo mount so the entire thing goes up a bit. As little as possible though!
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:17 AM   #3562
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Is that weight with your modded hollow front shaft, Impact dogbones and PRO wheel axles?
No... I cheated just for a joke.

Its actually 1740g ready to tech. But Ive still got fullsized servos in there and the wheel axles are still stock. I have a 9550 on order for throttle, so that will bring the weight down. As will the Ti screws and spring steel wheel axles.

I guess I best order some weights for when its all on the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realweight.jpg (108.5 KB, 124 views)
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 AM   #3563
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
I read your PM about this but I'll answer here so all can benefit.
Julius,
is it also possable for you to answer the question on the sloaping radio tray?

I dont recall seeing an answer in relation to it.

Thanks
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:09 AM   #3564
Tech Fanatic
 
Julius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Amsterdam Netherlands
Posts: 979
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Julius,
is it also possable for you to answer the question on the sloaping radio tray?

I dont recall seeing an answer in relation to it.

Thanks
The slope is due to the middle bracket shrinking slightly more than anticipated. It is about 0.9mm too low. That means about 0.5 degrees of slope in the radio tray. That is not an issue except for the cosmetics. Most likely we will make a small change in the mould so the top part will be 0.9mm higher. There is no need to shim the tray. Most likely you will no longer have the benefit of the centering function of the nylon protrusions. That will lead to a decrease in stiffness an may cause tweak in the chassis during racing.

In short: "It looks a little funny but that's it"
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:18 AM   #3565
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
There is no need to shim the tray. Most likely you will no longer have the benefit of the centering function of the nylon protrusions. That will lead to a decrease in stiffness an may cause tweak in the chassis during racing.
Let me understand this better... If we shim the tray, then there would not be any centering function benefit from the nylon protrusions?

Or do you mean when Serpent remedies the mold to make the middle bracket 0.9 mm higher, we would not get the centering function benefit of the nylon protrusions?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:21 AM   #3566
Tech Master
 
sparksy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisvagas
Posts: 1,951
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius

In short: "It looks a little funny but that's it"
Thanks Julius.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:28 AM   #3567
Tech Champion
 
jfc_tech's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: www.JonehRC.com
Posts: 7,000
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Let me understand this better... If we shim the tray, then there would not be any centering function benefit from the nylon protrusions?

Or do you mean when Serpent remedies the mold to make the middle bracket 0.9 mm higher, we would not get the centering function benefit of the nylon protrusions?
Im still confused
__________________
If you are in front of me, That's because I let you!
jfc_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:40 AM   #3568
Tech Master
 
Pyramid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: ID
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Let me understand this better... If we shim the tray, then there would not be any centering function benefit from the nylon protrusions?

Or do you mean when Serpent remedies the mold to make the middle bracket 0.9 mm higher, we would not get the centering function benefit of the nylon protrusions?
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:45 AM   #3569
Tech Master
 
Pyramid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: ID
Posts: 1,945
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Let me understand this better... If we shim the tray, then there would not be any centering function benefit from the nylon protrusions?

Or do you mean when Serpent remedies the mold to make the middle bracket 0.9 mm higher, we would not get the centering function benefit of the nylon protrusions?
I think (car not with me now) the protrusions are 2mm (as thick as the upper deck). I shims mine at 1mm so it leaves me enough protrusions to hold the upper deck.. yes, wont be as much as without shims.

I imagine the mod is sliding tipe which should be possible to add 0.9mm thickness and still having the protrusions

Hi Julius, I always meant to ask, what specific plastic material that serpent uses for making those parts such as arms, bulkhead, etc?
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:56 AM   #3570
Tech Champion
 
jfc_tech's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: www.JonehRC.com
Posts: 7,000
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jfc_tech
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
I think (car not with me now) the protrusions are 2mm (as thick as the upper deck). I shims mine at 1mm so it leaves me enough protrusions to hold the upper deck.. yes, wont be as much as without shims.

I imagine the mod is sliding tipe which should be possible to add 0.9mm thickness and still having the protrusions

Hi Julius, I always meant to ask, what specific plastic material that serpent uses for making those parts such as arms, bulkhead, etc?
which one is this...radio tray? slopping? protrusion? pictures please...
__________________
If you are in front of me, That's because I let you!
jfc_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 705 J_Longbrake Nitro On-Road 4252 02-23-2015 12:34 AM
WTB: NIB Serpent 710 aN4rK1 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 06-16-2006 09:23 PM
Serpent 835 JFCJ R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 3 02-20-2005 09:29 PM
Trade in Your Old Serpent 710 Parts for New Serpent 710 Parts fast_it710 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 09-17-2004 12:27 AM
Serpent Impulse w/MT-12 and Serpent Starter box - cheap Solara R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-07-2003 03:01 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:14 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net